Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling board games

TNM was GREAT. No clue if Oliver Copp is still doing anything with it, but I remember having a blast with that as far back as high school. I still even email every so often with someone I met through there that's a big wrestling fan. Hours upon hours of fun in an age before I could get my hands on a comparable quantity of the real stuff.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the Filsinger Games Legends of Wrestling. You can do mishmash teams, six man's, etc. It's a much more flexible system for booking. The biggest disadvantage is they only release guys that sign up for it. So some guys have said no. With that said they do have some absolutely huge names in the game.

Wrestling's Finest feels more like wrestling. There can be some absolute drama in the matches and guys tend to feel like themselves. Stan Hansen feels like he's just mauling guys in there. It doesn't have the flexibility. Tag teams are pre-made and the system is complicated so you can't bootleg guys or teams you would want.

With Filsinger you can bootleg really balanced cards as you learn the system.

I'd go Filsinger then Wrestling's Finest. I prefer the flexibility at the expense of the feel of the game.

Filsinger's Indy games are amazing. They literally have almost every big indy name out there. If that's your thing it's a good avenue to explore.

as in indy promotions or just indy wrestlers?

Since we've bridged into computer games, anyone remember Rampage Wrestling? It allowed for some weird match ups, like Vader vs. 8 midgets in a cage, or Vader vs. Abraham Lincoln. It also had random events that would occur, so you'd have Kerry Von Erich wrestling and someone in drag interferes on their behalf, so next thing you know Kevin Von Erich is running the ring barefoot in a dress!

I swear these were all real events in my fed.

Since we've bridged into computer games, anyone remember Rampage Wrestling? It allowed for some weird match ups, like Vader vs. 8 midgets in a cage, or Vader vs. Abraham Lincoln. It also had random events that would occur, so you'd have Kerry Von Erich wrestling and someone in drag interferes on their behalf, so next thing you know Kevin Von Erich is running the ring barefoot in a dress!

I swear these were all real events in my fed.

I don't remember this one, but it sounds like it was created by Vince Russo :)

TNM was GREAT. No clue if Oliver Copp is still doing anything with it, but I remember having a blast with that as far back as high school. I still even email every so often with someone I met through there that's a big wrestling fan. Hours upon hours of fun in an age before I could get my hands on a comparable quantity of the real stuff.

I spent a lot of time writing up TNM 7 cards for fantasy booking purposes. They had a great list serve where people would post ongoing projects and others would discuss the shows.

Even if TNM isn't being supported anymore, I would bet a google search turns up people still updating it. It was really easy to create characters. There's also a site that has rule sets for various booking games (like setting up a modern NWA) that I believe still has one of my contributions up on it.

Some sleuthing last night turned up this great TNM7 site:

http://www.joshism.net/tnm/tnm.html

I also downloaded a 30-day trial, but since the game doesn't run on a modern version of Windows, you have to run it through a program called DOSBox. Gave that a try, and I got the game to install and load up, but it's really clunky. Oh well.....

I've been a Filsinger player and friend for probably about 20 years now. I've demoed for Tom at cons, I really love the product.

I guess I should mention that WWE just debuted a board game at gencon which wasn't half bad. I think it was called superstar showdown? Each wrestler has a unique deck of cards and a mini. You play cards that allow you to take control on offense and move around and try to wear your opponent down. It was a fun demo, and had more skill than you would initially think. I think the included starter decks were Cena, Big Show, Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, and Big E.

There is also a game out there called Lucha Dice, which I think is a weird push your luck/dice builder hybrid. I've heard okay things about the game play but the product itself looks cheap. The art is bad and everything feels light and not high quality. I work in the board game industry and I get super picky about components because the stuff is so expensive, so I have been judgy and haven't played it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one I just got this weekend called 80's Mania Wrestling. It's for Android and IPhone. Pretty fun. It's a booking sim and CCG. The characters are all satirical takes on 80's wrestlers or pop culture.

Filsinger fans will recognize a large chunk of the creative staff as it's Kris Osk and Larry Swank.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I haven't been able to fully dive in since grabbing the ROH starter set (and a lot of the add-ons) - I also have the Memphis mod that our friend UKWildcat came up with.

Jimmy Rave being announced for this new AWE subset is really intriguing, good crossover opportunities with the ROH camp.

Would be awesome also if he got a couple of the NJPW guys to sign on for a limited ROH set.

Really glad to see Evolve is getting another set also.

• 1 year later...

There's one I just got this weekend called 80's Mania Wrestling. It's for Android and IPhone. Pretty fun. It's a booking sim and CCG. The characters are all satirical takes on 80's wrestlers or pop culture.

Filsinger fans will recognize a large chunk of the creative staff as it's Kris Osk and Larry Swank.

I downloaded this one this week. I read your Filsinger Booking thread on the Armchair Booking forums and that led me here... and that led to the download.

It's a perfectly cromulent time-killer that I am having a lot of fun playing... but it also feels like the developers have some very unusual ideas about how pro wrestling works. (For example: Profits are based on match rating, rather than crowd size).

I wonder if anyone else is playing or has played 80s Wrestling Mania.

It has a decent following. I know the main guy and the first one did well enough to get an expansion and get this sequel.

As you progress, the profits become more about putting merchandise on guys for their matches and the advertisers you use. You unlock merchandise by maxing out stats.

The sequel is 90s Xtreme. You still play through the 80s but get to do the 90s as well.

• 3 weeks later...