Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/27 - 8/2

PhilTLL

Yeah, did they take a week off from the usual nonsense and just run a wrestling show? Am I crazy? I could swear Trips and Steph didn't even come out after the first segment. I don't watch Raw all the time but that's much better than I'm accustomed to...ignoring in the background once in awhile. Still wouldn't have paid for a ticket, but a nice freebie.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out the Lesnar/Taker pull-away brawl from last week and it was good enough that it sucked me in to turn on Raw for a bit last night. I liked what I saw: The Flair divas match, Orton/Owens (and I hardly ever enjoy anything Orton does) and Cena/Rollins.

I could bitch about doing a title vs. title match on Raw and having the guy with the lesser title go over clean, but that kind of stuff is par for the course these days, so on the rare occasions I tune in, I just do my best to enjoy whatever's on my screen and ignore the obvious lack of logic and booking sense.

When a superplex gets over as either a finisher or a big highspot that leads to a great false finish, that's when we'll know the excesses of the WWE style are gone. I actually think the superplex is a great barometer for that sort of thing. As it stands, yes, it's a dumb move to take when it's just a move in a match.

So after WM there was the narrative that Roman Reigns won over some of the crowd by the beating he took from Brock, I wonder if Cena getting his nose splattered across his face and finishing the match will win over some of the people who still won't accept him.

By the way, I don't think it's any coicidence or accident that Cena's resurgence this year comes at the same time he's been out of the World title picture. He was the perfect choice to rehab the US title, since then it would actually make sense for him to win all the time and it negated one of his (and WWE's) biggest criticisms that they were too afraid to not have him either be champ or be the main contender for the title at all times. Of course now he's challenging for the title, and if they have him beat Seth at SummerSlam it will render the whole experiment moot.

So after WM there was the narrative that Roman Reigns won over some of the crowd by the beating he took from Brock, I wonder if Cena getting his nose splattered across his face and finishing the match will win over some of the people who still won't accept him.

By the way, I don't think it's any coicidence or accident that Cena's resurgence this year comes at the same time he's been out of the World title picture. He was the perfect choice to rehab the US title, since then it would actually make sense for him to win all the time and it negated one of his (and WWE's) biggest criticisms that they were too afraid to not have him either be champ or be the main contender for the title at all times. Of course now he's challenging for the title, and if they have him beat Seth at SummerSlam it will render the whole experiment moot.

Speaking of Cena rehabbing the US Title. What makes sense for him dropping it at this point? Hold it through Mania? As much as the world title is still the big belt and more important, winning this will do more to make someone outside of the usual crew.

Speaking of Cena rehabbing the US Title. What makes sense for him dropping it at this point? Hold it through Mania? As much as the world title is still the big belt and more important, winning this will do more to make someone outside of the usual crew.

In a way, Cena probably can't lose the US title to anyone that is currently in the WWE on the main roster in terms of midcarders/upper midcarders. Not since Cena started mowing down all the challengers that came out for his open challenge. You almost pretty much have to have him lose to a new unknown element...someone like Kevin Owens when he first came in. I can actually see this ending up being Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn (I know he already wrestled Cena but he got injured and it is a natural way to write a rematch) or Finn Balor in full monster form.

Agreed. It probably needs to be a new face, or something closely approximating one like a freshly turned heel. Though I don't know what babyface on the roster even has that potential right now unless you build up Cesaro as his good buddy and set things up that way. Unlikely, but probably the only way to do it if you're trying to max out the potential of someone on the roster.

I'm just fearing since they have a boner towards ROH they're going to do the double champ angle with Cena and have him hold both the WWE and US titles at the same time. I'm reasonably sure they won't do that, but you can never put anything past this company if they feel petty enough.

Right now, hopefully there are no plans to take it off of him. They will know when the time is right. It's not.

But they DO need to have a plan now for how to get to the point "time is right". Otherwise they would just have him drop the belt in a nothing match when they feel it is time to move Cena on from the title. They do need to have an idea...an endgame...in mind for that day to come, whether it is next week or Wrestlemania or next year's Summerslam. Do you really trust the WWE to have a good feel for when it is time? This is the company that was about ready to never pay off the Daniel Bryan title program before fans forced their hand. I would rather they take the time to map out their journey to the destination rather than find their way around in the dark based on "feel".

Do you think they were thinking in 1984 how they were going to get the belt off of Hogan, and when, and who it will be from? That's not really how wrestling works. It will be an opportunity that will present itself. They will either pick up on it or they won't. (Chances are they won't.) But I see no reason to plan an end game for something that's clearly working. Instead of thinking about how to end it, they should be thinking about how to prolong it and get the most out of it. Ending it shouldn't even enter their thought process until signs are there that it's no longer working. And at that point, they can weigh whatever options they have at the time. It's really self-defeating to say "Ok, we want to have this guy ready in six months", but what if Cena is still going strong in six months? Are they supposed to still get the belt off of him because they said they would months before that? Long-term planning is great, and I wish they did more of it, but long-term planning that's so etched in stone doesn't really help anything either. You mentioned Bryan, and that was where they failed. They were so married to their WM plans that they didn't see what was right in front of them. And what's in front of them right now is a credible champion who's having a strong run. That's great! How do they make Cena's time with the U.S. title build up that belt as much as possible?

I think that works for transitional champions. With guys at Cena's level, it seems to make more sense to just run with it until it starts seeming like a bad idea. Cena shouldn't lose to guys where a win can "make" them or you get short-term stars instead of ones that stick. He should lose to someone that fans have already ordained at that level who can sustain and build on that momentum in the U.S. title picture when the day comes. So yeah, WWE should work on getting someone to that level, maybe even two or three guys who seem like viable candidates, but I don't see the hurry to have him drop the title, or the need for them to think too much about that right now. The most rewarding moments in WWE the past few years have been the spur-of-the-moment decisions.

I didn't say anything about being in a hurry. In fact I did say "next year's Summerslam" as one possible point. That is a year and half of Cena with the belt. I think by that point the time would have been "right". Cena is doing great things with the title but the fact remains...he is ridiculously above the title. You are saying that Cena should be beating everyone for as long as he is productive. At least when Cena was the world champion, it would have been logical to see him lose sometimes but at the US title he is like the Terminator. You just can't have him lose to anyone without it being a fluke. And no one wants to see him drop the title on a fluke. This is why they should have an idea where they want to go after Cena. Comparing this run to Hulk Hogan in 1984 as the world champion is so not comparable it is almost ridiculous to use that. Cena is already the franchise ace. He doesn't need to be established at all like Hogan was in 1984 because he is already there. Cena is at the point you have to think he is on the downslide of his career and you want to make sure there is a viable life post Cena in the WWE universe. He is exactly who you make a long term booking plan for. Otherwise it ends up like the Streak being broken by the wrong man at the wrong time.

It worked on the people in the audience last night. When the match started, they were doing the usual fifty/fifty cheer/boo split for Cena. By the time the match was over, pretty much everyone was rabidly cheering John.

Smackdown has Rollins and Cesaro work each other twice, first in a singles and then a tag. Being worked like a dog on SD doesn't count as a push, and I generally think it's lazy booking when they have guys work twice after the first match is DQed, and makes the show look like it's being done on a lower budget than it really is, but it's become an almost weekly go-to move on SD. Instance #456 this year of Vince thinking most of his roster isn't good enough to be on TV, but at least Cesaro is for the moment in the group deemed worthy.