Pro Wrestling Only

GWE-Jack Brisco #1.

2PhoneShawty

Tonight we're going to start our group viewing project, at 8 PM EST. We will be using http://taima.tv/r/PWOGroup a video synching service where you are able to make your own rooms. We will be viewing a set of 5 matches, and watching one in a day. We will be opening this project with a bang, as we will be watching two time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Jack Brisco go up against Japanese legend, Jumbo Tsuruta, who is also a nominee to watch, as he placed #1 on the Smarkchoices 2006 poll. This match took place on January 30 1974, Brisco's set will begin today, and we will be using a list made by JerryvonKramer from the top 5 matches to watch list, however if you have suggestions for the next nominee, and the 5 matches that best represent them, feel free to do so, and I hope to see you in the chat tonight.

SO... watched the match twice so I would look smart on the live broadcast and this is a pretty good Jack showcase but Jumbo puts him in some bad spots from a selling perspective. I say this because Jumbo works three different body parts during the course of the match in three very distinct sections. So when Jack is selling the leg, he can't sell the arm and when Jumbo moves to the back/ribs, Jack can't sell the leg. On a micro level, Jack's selling was appropriate and well done but long term? He was put in a impossible spot where he had to blow off previous work to move the match forward. I can't really blame him for that though.

Jack works underneath really well and makes the most of his transition spots. The fight over a leglock where Jack bridged out of an attempted counter and then gave forearm shots to the ribs when Jumbo bridged up was the knees of bees. I would have liked to see him work on top a bit more as the action seemed dominated by Jumbo with Brisco only getting brief shines.

The main issue I had with Jack was the repeat of the backbreaker spot that got the first fall in the third fall but only got two there. I just have a problem with that from a construction standpoint as it doesn't make contextual sense. If Jumbo had countered or Jack would have sold after the move and been slower to capitalize, it would have made more sense. Other than that I think Jack was really good but Jumbo drug him down.

*** (Worth watching but not something I would call must watch or a classic)

For the sake of comparison, here are reviews by me and my fellow Titan Pete from the archives.

Jack Brisco vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (01/30/74)

Jumbo is quite young here. Collar and eblow tieup to start, arm drag by Jumbo into an armbar. Bodyslam by Brisco but Jumbo gets in another armdrag and back into the armbar. The ref here looks like Big Al from Happy Days.

Back up to a vertical base and Jumbo tries to butterfly Brisco, but that's not happening so he goes back to the armbar. Brisco tries to get an armdrag in but it's reversed and Jumbo goes back to the armbar. Back up to a vertical base and this turns round now into a wristlock which Jumbo wrenches. Brisco gets in a desperation sunset flip, but Jumbo goes back into the armbar. He picks Brisco up by the arm while still in "the bar" and slams him down on the canvas. This is some nasty matwork by Jumbo here that wouldn't be out of place in World of Sport. Finally Brisco turns it around into a chinlock, the way he wrenches on it is very reminiscent of Rick Martel. Somehow, Brisco looks like he's bleeding from the mouth, presumably hardway. Jumbo goes back into the armbar but Brisco gets a pumphandle slam to counter. Into a standing hammerlock from Jumbo now and then what looks like a cross-face chickenwing. But Brisco regains advantage and targets the legs now with knee drops. He grapevines them and as he does so punches the leg Billy-Robinson-style. He leans back extremely deeply on this grapevine. Snapmare by Brisco, but Jumbo gets in a backslide and a big two big bodydslams. Elbow drop. Second one misses and that allows Brisco to get in a backbreaker for the first fall.

Brisco applies a headlock and smashes Jumbo across the back of the neck with elbows. He responds with a shinbreaker and now attacks Brisco's leg with kneedrops and a bridging Indian deathlock, now he gets up and falls back on it. You might call that the influence of Dory Funk Jr. Brisco tries to comeback but Jumbo decks him in the gut and then sweeps rounds into a grapevine on the injured leg. Brisco backs up and more or less begs off as Jumbo fires up. Brisco's selling of this leg is great. Boston crab by Jumbo and the crowd are hot. Some European uppercuts from Jumbo now and the commentators namecheck Dory Funk Jr. Jumbo hits the butterfly suplex. Belly-to-belly suplex! That gets 3 for 1-1.So far during this match, Jumbo has decimated Brisco's arm, taken out his leg, and now he's destroyed his back. This is a total body destruction approach from the young Tsuruta.

Jumbo goes straight after the injured back now with kicks and a slam. Camel clutch! Abdominal stretch. Somehow things get to the point where Jumbo is bridging back and Brisco is jumping on top of him. Big bearhug by Jumbo now and Brisco tries to punch his way out of it. He does so before hitting his own butterfly suplex. Backbreaker! Only gets two. Belly-to-back suplex by Jumbo!! Collision spot now and they are both down. Slugfest and Jumbo hits a dropkick. Second time and Brisco grabs the rope, he came off as being a bit Lou Thesz-ish there. Jumbo gets in a roll up but Brisco reverses it for three.

Before giving my views on this match, I just want to say a couple of things about each guy. I know this thread is about Brisco, but Jumbo -- who is still in my view Flair's only challenger for #1 -- can lay claim something that Flair can't: mastery of the 70s style. This match saw Jumbo-as-Dory-Funk-Jr, we never get a Flair version of that to my knowledge. Another thing is that Flair doesn't have matches as good as this one on his resume as early as 1974. These are both things in Jumbo's favour in that comparison.

What about Brisco? If this saw Jumbo-as-Dory, this was Brisco-as-Thesz. He was kind of working subtle heel, kinda, and this was very much a case of young fire vs experience and ring savvy. But the main takeways would be that Brisco absolutely works his arse off here to make Jumbo looks as great as possible in front of his own crowd. Jumbo eats up a good 80% of this match on offense, and Brisco's selling is great, whether it's the arm, the leg, or the back. Whether it's selling a hold or bumping big from a throw. More evidence, I think, that Brisco really could "do it all".

So what about the match? Psychology, pschology, pscyhology. Jumbo's offense was assassin-like: target arm, destroy arm; target leg, destroy leg; target back, destroy back. This is exhibit A in that argument about whether or not a guy should just stick to one body part or start going after different areas. I see no problem in that at all, and Brisco is just so good at selling that he remembers the arm during the second fall, even though his leg is being worked over, and then he remembers the leg during the third fall. My main criticism of this match -- and it's a typical one from me -- is that this is all a bit too one-sided. Jumbo dominates all three falls, and Brisco is getting his falls from opportunistic reversals or quick counters. It's more of a booking philosophy thing than anything, but I like to see babyfaces in peril and showing vulnerability a little more than we see from Jumbo here. This is a very good match, excellent even, and a great demonstration of what I'd call the "70s style", but it falls short of greatness for me because in a 2 out of 3 falls match for the NWA title that goes 30 minutes, you'd expect a bit more parity. Psychology was great, but not convinced about the structure. It's also a little bit sedate, by which I mean lacking in heat and a little intensity.

Jack Brisco vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (01/30/74)

This is for the NWA title and we have a Sam Muchnick sighting here. We start out with goes guys going for takedowns that both men stuff. Jumbo on top with some arm work. This is executed solidly. Nothing too flashy but it's constant and has a kinetic energy to it. Jack is great at selling it and trying to counter it. So this was a good base for the 1st fall. Jack's bloody lip added to the fight they were in. The 1st 8 or 9 minutes is all Jumbo with the arm work. They're getting the story over that Jumbo has Jack's number. This is further cemented when Jack has to cheat with a hair pull in a overhead wristlock battle to finally get an advantage. Jack starts with the headlock and then starts to work the legs. They do a little back and forth till Jack gets the win with a Billy Robinson Backbreaker. Cool story of the 1st round where Jack makes Jumbo look like a guy who got unlucky in the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall starts with a headlock by Jack followed up with a nasty elbow. If people worked a headlock like this no one would call a headlock boring. Jumbo on his comeback goes after the leg with a counter of an atomic knee crusher. Now Jumbo goes after the leg with nasty work on it. This works because his arm work came up short in the 1st fall so let's try another body part. I'm usually a guy who likes you to stay on a particular body part. Though in a 2 out of 3 fall changing it up really works cause each fall can be worked with different strategies to capture a fall. Here it's Jumbo on the leg. My complaint is some of Jumbo's stomps lacked ooomph. Jack's selling here also takes the work up a notch and really makes it compelling. A nice touch was when Jack got vertical and was retreating he closed his body up so his left side was protected. The finish with awesome with a Jumbo Butterfly followed up by an Overhead Belly to Belly Suplex for the 3 count. What a great fall that really ratches up the drama. It looks like Jumbo is on fire at this point.

The 3rd fall we now see Jumbo going after the back. Again at times Jumbo's stomps looked soft. Still the idea is there. The finish is Jumbo going for an Oklahoma roll, that is countered by Jack for the 3. Who better to counter an Oklahoma roll than someone from Oklahoma.

Final thoughts. This was good stuff. Jumbo was great at focusing at working body parts, that accentuated by Jack's selling.Some of the work was so subtle you really need to pay attention. Jack did a great job of making Jumbo a threat. The work at times came across as sterile because with the exception of the finish of the 2nd fall that match lacked pop. What it did have was good story telling, really smart work, and some great selling. Jumbo's stomps at times were bad, and wish we saw Jack on top for a bit more. Still this had too much great stuff. ****