Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-07-26-Houston Wrestling] Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel

shoe

This is the rematch and it's another hard hitting affair. We see Flair work the arm. Everything Wahoo does has a pop. His chops are blistering. So this turns into a match similar to the Ron Garvin matches. Just a chop fest and it's awesome. Flair is bleeding from the head. Both guys work their asses off that awes the crowd. Great stuff. 4*

• 8 months later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel - Mid-South 7/26/85

Got to love when Flair finds himself in a fire fight. Flair's reaction to the first Wahoo chop is priceless, a mixture of shock, anger and fear. Flair mans up and says you want some muthafucka, come get some. They just unload on each other. Wahoo getting the better of Flair on the first two exchanges. Flair crowds him in the corner. It is a straight right to the nose that gives Flair the upper hand. Flair has an underrated working punch, very nice. Flair gives as good as he got. I know Flair arm work goes nowhere, but damn if he aint great at it. Of course, Wahoo makes his comeback by blasting away at Flair's chest with overhand chops. The finish run features some great Flair cheating and Wahoo just kicking ass. I really liked instead of slamming Flair off the top he chops him as he comes off the top. Flair tries to take it to the outside, but ends up eating the steel to bust him open. I liked Wahoo getting three nearfalls with each being broken up by the ropes. Wardance got a nice pop. Flair headbutts him low and gets the pin with the feet on the ropes. How poetic of a finish run! The ropes bail Flair out of losing and give him the win. Now that is some nice psychology. I love Flair versus a hard-hitter, not quite the Garvin level, but still damn good. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

I thought it was funny on commentary when they mentioned that it's okay for men to have long blonde hair at this point. I loved this match so much. As mentioned, I really love the expressions on Flair's face when he gets a chop or gets surprised by Wahoo. It's awesome to see Flair having these amazing matches with Terry Taylor built around the wrestling itself, and then he comes in and has this awesome brawl with Wahoo. Wahoo's chops and strikes look devastating! I want to sign up for NWA Classics after I finish this set. There are so many things I want to see, like their match two weeks or so before this one.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1985-07-26-Houston Wrestling] Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel