Pro Wrestling Only

El Mesias/Ricky Banderas//Mil Muertes

Grimmas

Boricua, you are the man. Thanks for the background info. First things first -- is the angle with Colon's wife on youtube? Want to make sure I include that if available.

Love hearing about feuds I'm unfamiliar with, but anything around a bump like that is vital information. Just one of the craziest spots I've ever seen, and all the more impressive because I had zero clue it was coming. Would you highlight any of the Banderas matches above as standouts or all generally worth checking out?

Yeah, the angle with Colon's wife is on YouTube:

There's also one from fall of 87 where Ayala attacked Colon after throwing a net on him:

The net angle goes before the barbed wire match, The attack at the awards is before the fire match. One key thing to keep in mind is that Colon vs. Ayala was basically the first time native vs native was the Universal title feud, so it had that traitor aspect to it. Also, keep in mind that Ayala applies his figure four inverted, meaning he places the leg underneath when applying it. It's sold as his new mystery hold and put over as devastating. One final detail about the barbed wire match, it's also figure four vs. figure four, where the only way to win is by applying and making your opponent submit to the figure four.

As for the bump in the Slash vs. Banderas match, I had three reactions when I first saw it when it aired during the weekend TV. First was absolute shock that it happened (I'm talking mouth open, staring at the TV shock). Then, worry if the guy was okay. You could tell that he was supposed to land on the table but completely missed it, plus he landed right on his head. The article I linked to is in Spanish, but Slash mentions how fortunate he was that he didn't suffer a really bad injury (or worse). His specific comment was:

"I thought I had landed on the table. I did not know I was knocked out. When I went to the locker room I told Savio, 'See what an SOB I am', and he told me to get ready to go to the hospital. I told him no, that I was fine. He then asked me if I knew where I was and I answered him in Indiana, so I think I was not all that well. If you look at the video you'll notice that I hit the ground with my head. I was a lucky kid that night. I could have died or have been paralyzed. I do not recommend to anyone doing that again."

My third reaction, after the show ended, was turning to my brother and saying that there was no way anyone was going to boo him after that. Once they finished the Banderas feud they had to turn him because the crowd developed a respect for Slash after that bump and it was hard to boo him.

I'd say check all of the Banderas matches if you want, it's more a random grab bag of what's on YouTube from his IWA years as to give an idea of how he was around that time. It's a shame there's not a lot more Puerto Rico stuff out there in circulation to really make recommendations, so it's basically find what's accessible. There's also his work in Mexico, along with some random matches from ECW, TNA and XSW out there.

As for not-Puerto Rico, and Lucha Underground, I highly suggest at the very least the Fenix feud; which is notably Grave Consequences, the Muertes return match w/ weapons, and the awesome title match in season 2. The Ivellise match is a YMMV highlight as well, since it's the best intergender stuff in Lucha Underground. Can't forget about the triple threat with Pentagon Jr. and Prince Puma as well! As well as the Ultima Lucha title match with Prince Puma. In order:

Grave Consequences

Muertes vs. Fenix No DQ

Muertes vs. Puma

Muertes vs. Ivellise

Muertes vs. Pentagon vs. Puma

Muertes vs. Fenix, season 2

Coupled with some vignettes can't hurt.

• 1 year later...

As someone who loves his work in Lucha Underground and thought his aspuestas match with Park was an absolute hoot, someone I would love to see more of. His stuff in AAA right now is bad but I put that more on AAA booking all of their matches as garbage brawls.. I would say his stuff as Mil Muertes is a much better indicator of where he is as a wrestler, and that's pretty damn good. And the way he portrays his character while working those matches is fantastic. I recall reading in a best of 2016 list that when you see Banderas in Lucha Underground, you're not seeing a guy playing the character of Mil Muertes. You're watching Mil Muertes, a vengeful, juggernaut of death.

• 3 years later...

He's been active  these past few years, as Boss Rock mentioned he's recently been appearing for MLW and also there's more IWA footage from the 00s that has popped up.  Just remember that you'll find matches of his under the names  Ricky Banderas, El Mesias, Mil Muertes and most recently Gilbert el Boricua.