Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-08-31-Houston Wrestling] Midnight Express vs The Fantastics

shoe

OMG. This match has never aired and it might be their best match between these 2 teams to ever air which says a lot. This is a classic feud . We have tons of matches between the 2 teams. This is the best. The opening shine set the pace early, and it was great.Cornette might have had one of his all time great performances. He gets the crowd into a total lather. He does a modified Wrestle War 90 spot with the ref. Except better because it never gets over the top. He does this all without the tennis racquet. When the MX get on the heat they just beat the hell out of Tommy Rogers. The crowd is insane here. Corny cheapshotting throughout. Fulton was great at always running out to try to protect his partner, but just can't. Fulton's work on the outside can't be overlooked because he added so much gravatis to the situation. They tease a hot tag, but the MX knock Fulton off the apron. The crowd is insane, and they want to kill Corny. Several of them look to lynch him. The cops are even nervous at this point. Finally, we get a hot tag and when I say the crowd erupts, it's not hyperbole. When The Fantastics go over it was like Jordan hitting the bucket against Craig Ehlo.This is everything I love about wrestling 4 1/2*

I was planning to sign up for NWA Classics very soon anyway, but this motivated me to go ahead and do it now. This was a tremendous tag team match, and I agree that it just might be Cornette's finest hour for the reasons shoe mentioned. The opening stuff was just awesome, mainly because the crowd was biting on everything. I don't think it's quite MOTYC-level for me, and I don't mean that as a huge slight or even really a slight at all. I loved Cornette throwing those punches at Bobby Fulton, but I wish they had taken longer to really pummel Tommy Rogers. The FIP seemed a little rushed. But that's hardly a glaring flaw. Well worth seeing. ****

• 7 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1984-08-31-Houston Wrestling] Midnight Express vs The Fantastics
  • 4 months later...

Midnight Express vs Fantastics - Houston 8/31/84

Booty-Shakin Bobby Fulton in all his reigning glory! Tremendous shine here as they do an abridged version from the one against Rock N Rolls at 5/11 but make up for the time with Jim Cornette faking heart attacks and threatening to get in on the action. It is classic Midnight Express tomfoolery with Bobby Fulton instigating and mocking Corny & MX. Yes, there is rump-shaking involved! Hell at one point Houston was chanting "We Want Cornette" to get some action in the ring. I am not holding this against the match but I think they should have paid this off with Cornette taking a bump for Fulton. They get a little heat on Fulton before he punches his way out of trouble and tags in Rogers. Condrey yanks Rogers down by the hair from the apron on a criss cross and it is on! I liked this heat segment a lot. It is much more efficient than those Ricky Morton ones that can drag. Anytime, Rogers shows life it is go for the eyes or out over the top he goes. At one point, Condrey holds Rogers for Eaton who just crushes him with rights. Rogers is great at selling by still showing signs of life. Lots of dump him to the outside and let Corny get his licks in. Fulton is all fired up. Fulton is the best damn cheerleader. I think I have said it in the best past but I really think you can make the argument that the Fantastics were better than the Rock n Rolls. Morton is better than both Rogers and Fulton mostly because he can do everything they can do in one person but Rogers and Fulton really complement each other. Rogers is the technically proficient straight man and Fulton is the wise-crackin' firecracker. HOUSTON ERUPTS FOR THE HOT TAG! Rogers his a beautiful dropkick and Eaton sells this like a million bucks. My God how damn good is Bobby Eaton that sell job with the spit coming out and then the way he grabs his jaw. Fulton is a house on fire baby! He decks everything that moves. Rogers gets thrown into the ref. Condrey sets up Fulton for the double team, Eaton nails Condrey! Fulton covers! 1-2-3! Houston loses its mind like the Oilers won the Super Bowl!

The Midnights were the Mid-South Tag Team Champions so I guess this is non-title. I liked this just as much as the match from OKC on 8/9/84. This one is more Cornette-centric, but still a lot of fun. Just the MX and Fans giving you that fun, popcorn match. ****1/4