Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-11-24-WCCW] Kerry Von Erich vs Michael Hayes (Loser Leaves Town Cage)

Superstar Sleeze

Kerry Von Erich vs Michael Hayes - 11/24/83 Loser Leaves Town Steel Cage Match

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better sub-ten minute match! Absolutely electric match that pays off the entire angle in one incredibly climax! They met in the very structure that caused this blood feud a steel cage and after a year it is time for the ultimate blowoff, a Loser Leaves Town match. Kerry and Michael play their roles to perfection and cut a terrific pace. Michael never once backs down from Kerry and this makes for one helluva fight, Those fists were flying early and love the early attempt at the Claw. Hayes throwing Kerry into cage and choking him with the bandage was perfect heel wrestling, Even better was Kerry using these tactics against Hayes and Hayes is busted wide open. I love the Sleeper in the 80s it is such a BIG move in the sense of a titanic struggle. Hayes applies it first to break Kerry's momentum only to see Kerry power up and apply his own. I love this tit for tat, taste of your own medicine wrestling. Here comes the big Hayes push for victory, suplex, bulldog and piledriver in succession, but Kerry gets foot on ropes. I think thats lame in a cage match. It is Loser Leaves Town just hotshot everything BABY and kick out of the piledriver BABY! Kerry nails a suplex out of a suplex struggle. Here comes BAM BAM! The very man that slammed the door into Kerry's head in shot heard round the world. Head collision and both are out. Buddy Roberts scales the cage and tosses in knux. Hayes catches them, but Kerry nails a discus punch and the knux go flying. Fritz slams Gordy into the table. Kerry obliterates Michael Hayes. Buddy climbs to the top to save Michael, but crotches himself on the cage and falls pathetically to the ring. Love it! Kerry 1-2-3! Banishing Michael from Texas! Fritz slams the door on Gordy to tie up that loose end and finally Von Erich vengeance is achieved!

The match is a little too short and there are a couple details I did not like that keep this from being absolutely perfect like DiBiase/Duggan. In terms of blowoffs and paying off multiple elements of a blood feud, this is hard to beat and it is like the DiBiase/Duggan of World Class! Really fucking awesome and not talked about enough! ****3/4

• 1 year later...

This really is one of the all time blow offs of a feud. Hell 82,83, and 84 were all great chapters to this epic feud. This is totally hate filled. They use the cage as a weapon. I loved the use of the Ace bandage as a weapon. The crowd was wicked hot for this. Hayes bleeding big time. Kerry working the cut. The sleeper spot was over huge. Kerry's payback to it gets a huge pop. This is worked with a sense of urgency. Buddy Robert's takes an incredible crotch bump on top of the cage. Fritz slams Gordy's head with the cage door as payback to Christmas 82. Kerry pins Hayes, and everything is tied up in a bow. We get 8 minutes of the 9 minute 50 sec match. One of the all time great blow offs. 4 1/2*

• 6 months later...

Terry Gordy and Michael Hayes fought Kerry & Kevin Von Erich in a Country Whipping match right before this on 11/04/1983, and man if that wasn't the stiffest CWM that I've ever seen. It's explosive. I would recommend anyone checking out this match to give that one a watch right before. It's also pretty short. This match is incredible. I really like the comparison to the DiBiase/Duggan match because of the length and violence, and I agree I'd slot it underneath that. But, man this is just perfect. I couldn't imagine being in the crowd that night. When Fritz slammed the cage on Gordy's head I had the biggest smile on my face. PERFECT payoff. This is a classic.

• GSR changed the title to [1983-11-24-WCCW] Kerry Von Erich vs Michael Hayes (Loser Leaves Town Cage)