Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-03-13-AWA-St. Paul, MN] Sheik Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaisse vs Mad Dog Vachon & Baron Von Raschke (Taped Fist)

Superstar Sleeze

Sheik Ayatollah Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaisse vs Mad Dog Vachon & Baron Von Raschke - AWA 3/13/83

I want to take a second to run down the other matches on this card: Hulk Hogan & High Flyers vs Heenan Family (Patera, Ventura, Heenan) and a main event of World Champion Nick Bockwinkel vs Rick Martel. Thats stacked. World Class may have the hottest single feud in 1983, but AWA was actually pretty damn deep in 1983. I actually am excited for The Sheiks vs Old Timers feud. You thought the crowd was hot for Hogan earlier. Holy shit! This crowd was losing its mind for two of the weirdest looking human beings ever to walk this planet, Baron & Mad Dog. This was Von Erichs/Freebirds level of sustained heat from beginning to end they were engrossed in this match. The story of this match is the Shieks have one of each of their arms in casts so to combat this Mad Dog and Baron have their fists taped.

This is just violent old man asskicker goodness. Baron and Mad Dog tear into Sheik who plays the overwhelmed scumbag so well. It is funny that 400 lbs Blackwell is the one who creates the movement in this match. He comes in to take a couple hard Bret Bumps and some awesome weeble wobble selling while they tee off on him. The whip Blackwell into Sheik and later on when Blackwell tries to send Sheik Adnan he accidentally splashes his own partner. This St. Paul will not be satisfied with just an asskicking they want BLOOD! Mad Dog punches Blackwell repeatedly (the crowd counts along) then does not stop working the cut by continued punching and then biting. Baron keeps that up. It has been five minutes of an absolute beat down and the crowd is loving it! That's my kinda crowd, 100% behind their heroes. They don't care if the match is equitable or some bullshit. If their favorite team wins by a blow out, all the better! Unfortunately, there is a clip and when we come back, Baron is busted open and a bleeding Blackwell is rolling him back in the ring. I dont think I have ever seen a Baron match, but he was really effective selling and really building the heat towards the hot tag. I loved him falling on his ass to sell a cast punch from Sheik and Sheik bititng at Baron's cut. Baron clawing for a tag only to be cut off was great face in peril work. Then a brawl erupts between Mad Dog and Blackwell on the outside! Blackwell lands an elbow on Baron and you actually each the entire arena collectively lose their breath with the Baron. That was so cool. Then a Blackwell slam and again the air evacuates the lungs of the St. Paul crowd. The stand up, staggered strike exchange between Baron and Blackwell is so dramatic. HOT TAG TO MAD DOG! Mad Dog kicks ass and the Baron is back in for the CLAW ON BLACKWELL! The CROWD EXPOLDES! Sheik Adnan blasts Baron in the back of the head with the cast and Blackwell splash for the 1-2-3! Perfect, perfect, perfect heel booking to set up the next match.

Mad Dog is red hot and beats the shit out of each Sheik until he gets a bit too greedy and Blackwell splashes him in the corner. They thrown the ref down and eventually the numbers game gets to Mad Dog. Here comes Verne and they kick Verne's ass! The St. Paul is fucking pissed and throwing so much shit in the ring. The rematch is going to be molten. In the aisleway, Greg takes some wicked shots at them. Wow, awesome post-match angle to set up Mad Dog & Verne teaming. Mean Gene yelling for paramedics was perfect for the moment.

Loved this match. Baron had one of the best FIP segments of the 80s. The babyface shine was perfect awesome violence. The crowd was electric. I loved the finish and the post-match killed it. 1983 was badass year of wrestling. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1983-03-13-AWA-St. Paul, MN] Sheik Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaisse vs Mad Dog Vachon & Baron Von Raschke (Taped Fist)