Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #76- Top 100 Matches Special, Part 2: 50-1

I've just finished listening to both episodes. What an epic, as podcasts go, it's the equivalent of Flair vs Steamboat or Misawa vs Kobashi! I only discovered these podcasts a few months back but I am so glad I did. It is so refreshing to hear other people voice the way I feel about wrestling.

As far as the lists go, there's not a lot to argue with and it was fascinating seeing the areas of symmetry within the lists as well as the areas of complete disparity. Personally I'm probably somewhere closer to Parv than Chad. Like Parv, I don't really 100% 'get' lucha (though I have tried). I've also never really gotten very far watching Joshi either. Whenever I've given it a try I feel a little uncomfortable. I think it's the very real sounding screams! I have to agree with Chad about the love for the 90s AJPW style though, and that speech he gave at the end about wrestlings place in his life really struck a chord.

Well done both guys! I'm now really looking forward to the Beach Blast show to hear what you both have to say about Rude vs Steamboat. It's an all time favourite of mine and it was great to hear it get the recognition it deserves on Parv's list.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World of Sport wasn't a promotion. You should either call it Joint Promotions or Dale Martin.

WOS is a more convenient catch-all term, and i believe it's easier to find matches online by searching with that. i have no problem with changes in language when they serve a practical purpose like that.

I've been considering the lists a bit harder and there is one question I have for Chad. Like you, Chad, I greatly enjoyed the Vader vs Sting feud and was very pleased to hear it represented on your list. I am curious about your choice of giving the spot to the Superbrawl III strap match though. For me, as awesome a match as it is, I'd rank it third in their rivalry behind both Bash and Starrcade 92.

I think, it's partly a personal thing, as I've never been a fan of the drag-the-guy-to-four-corners stipulations. I also don't really like the finish. Throughout the entire match we were told that all four corners had to be touched by dragging your opponent without the sequence being broken. Then, at the end, they end up in a tug-of-war with one corner to go. Sting kicks Vader, he lets go, staggers back and touches the last corner. In my mind Vader did not 'drag' Sting to the last corner and in any case, the sequence had been broken. The problem is, it's difficult to get a better finish to this type of stipulation match. Incidentally, this was the match that gave the game away to me about blading, where Vader rolls out after Sting whips him and Harley Race, in full view, cuts his back. I lost a bit of my innocence that day!

The Bash match is my favourite. To me, it's nearly perfect. Vader looks awesome, Sting does a great job of getting beat up, making Vader look awesome but still doing enough to look strong himself. The spot where Sting slides up Vaders back on the Stinger Splash and hits the post is pure genius. It looked totally organic and gave Sting just enough of an excuse for the clean job he'd be doing minutes later. I'd say Ventura and (particularly) Ross were brilliant on commentary too.

The Starrcade match was almost, but not quite, as good in my mind. I do love the finish though as its a great retribution spot. I remember it being reported at the time (I think in WCW Magazine) that it had been Vader catching Sting mid-cross-body and powerslamming him that caused Stings broken ribs months earlier. That Sting should turn the tables and beat Vader with the exact same move was very cool.

So, Chad, what is your thinking behind preferring the Superbrawl match? Is it purely the heightened violence and blood, or is it something else?

Thanks Russian Daydream and very thought provoking stuff. The heightened violence is probably the kicker in me choosing the SuperBrawl match. I will say that I watched the Sting vs. Vader series a couple of years ago and only watched SuperBrawl in the past year so that could also have some factoring of it getting the edge. I just love the way that the match feels contained until Vader's ear gets damaged and then everything after has an out of control feel while still in the confinement of the gimmick place on the match. The critique you have laid out about the dragging the opponent is an interesting one and one I have never pondered. Thinking back, it is kind of a cheat and goes along the same lines as with current WWE right now in not being transparent on when and how the MITB briefcase holder can cash in. When me and Parv get to this series shortly, I look forward to rewatching all three big matches and seeing if my opinions change.

it is funny you say the GAB is your favorite as tentatively that would be my #3 as the moment. Still a great match of course but I have always felt it was slightly more about the heel win than the journey to get there throughout the match. However, the Sting vs. Vader series is like the Flair vs. Steamboat 89 trilogy in my eyes in that there is no ranking of the three matches that would surprise me as all are fantastic.

Thank you for posting the lists. I absolutely loved both of these episodes, as I have been listening to the show in chronological order, (I'm on Clash 14 now), and had to skip ahead to these shows. Wow. I'm blown away, as they were just great. I plan on watching many of the matches I haven't seen (a lot of the Lucha stuff), and re watching a lot of the Puro stuff I haven't seen in a while. Once again, awesome shows. Just awesome.