Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-09-23-JWP] Azumi Huyga vs Carlos Amano

Jetlag

WOW! This was a super fun match. It was distinctly joshi and a nice contrast to the matches Mariko Yoshida was having the same year. Carlos Amano, while not a complete worker yet, was really fun just diving for leg submissions all over the place and using her size and agility to survive. To my surprise, Hyuga made this match. I've never really noticed her before but she blew me away here with her performance. She did a great job controlling her opponent. She did a great job selling. And she did a great job getting the story of the match over. Amano would try using her submission skills to her advantage, but Hyuga wasn't having it and decided to put her in her place with a couple submissions of her own, resulting in a few great spots. This includes a couple of nifty armbar counters and an angry Hyuga raining punches to Amano's head from the back mount. Neat structure here where Hyuga controls the match early on, while Amano tries attacking her legs like a rabid dog with a few different strategies. Hyuga keeps cutting her off while selling the accumulating damage on her legs in very believable fashion.Totally out of left field great selling performance. Perfect finish too. I think Hyuga may deserve a closer look after this.

• 1 year later...

Hyuga would go on to be one of the best Joshi workers of the 00's, so would definitely warrant more attention. A terrific performance by her in this one. She'd become JWP champion earlier in the year and had become a ring general by this stage. The challenger Amano had a very focused approach. Zoning in on the leg. Mainly with submission attacks, plus a few added shortcuts when necessary. So Carlos did her thing and it was up to Azumi to mould it into a strong match. She had a more balanced attack, mixing wrestling skills with high flying athleticism. It was a keenly fought contest. Always Good+, sometimes more. There's potential here to go a bit higher and in different directions.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-09-23-JWP] Azumi Huyga vs Carlos Amano