Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-08-28-PWG-Battle of Los Angeles 2015: Day One] Matt Sydal vs Fenix

Phil Schneider

This was pretty much a popcorn match, with both guys breaking out all of their spots until there was a finish. For that type of match it was pretty good, although nothing I will remember later (unlike the British match earlier which was a similar style but with more pizzaz) . I liked how Fenix brought a little extra to all of his kicks and chops, there was one point where he toed Sydal in the eye, which was brutal looking. Sydal is good at playing the outclass veteran who used to be able to jump as high as these kids, but now is a step slow, kind of like a Grizzlies era Vince Carter. Still the match ending on a reverse rana,, into a SSP after every nearly every other match on the show through out a reverse rana as a nothing mid-match move, really hurt the finish, this show really needed someone backstage producing this tourney.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually really enjoyed this and for me it would have been a MOTN contender if it hadn't gone about five minutes too long. One thing I think Sydal is fantastic at is the way he transitions logically between his crazy spots and links them together... whereas I feel a lot of guys who work this style are just engaging in acrobatics contests I really believe Sydal's character is upping the ante through a mixture of arrogance, insecurity and recklessness that I feel his transitions between spots justify. This went back and forth and they had me believing the result was a genuinely close run thing. One too many near falls took me out of it, but proper solid.

3 Pitchers Of Warm Lager out of 5

• GSR changed the title to [2015-08-28-PWG-Battle of Los Angeles 2015: Day One] Matt Sydal vs Fenix