Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-03-18-Lucha Underground] Mil Muertes vs Fenix (Grave Consequences)

Phil Schneider

This was really awesome, I haven't particularly liked either guy a ton in Lucha Underground before (have loved some AAA Mesias), so I was really surprised at how great this was. This was the first time that Muertes has looked like a real killer, all of his little stuff landed with real force, and the big moves like the throw into the coffin were awesome looking. There is this great moment where Muertes is just smashing Fenix's head into the guardrail, like he is trying to open up a coconut. Bloody main even spectacles are one of my favorite kind of wrestling matches, and we haven't had one as good as this is quite a while.

One of the cool things about Lucha Underground, is the because they have access to the entire AAA roster, they can have guys come in, work a story and leave. One of the big problems with the WWE is that they have the same guys every week, and they only leave if they get hurt or join the UFC. Muertes can be buried alive, disappear for four months and then come back as a bigger deal. It is the kind of thing that the territory system allowed, which is missing in wrestling otherwise.

• GSR changed the title to [2015-03-18-Lucha Underground] Mil Muertes vs Fenix (Grave Consequences)
  • 2 years later...

Mil Muertes vs Fenix - Lucha Underground 3/18/15 Casket Match

In my opinion, the most famous match of Lucha Underground, so famous is that I sought it out and watched it back in 2015. My recollection is that this rocked! The story of this match is that Fenix was the first man to beat Mil Muertes (Thousand Deaths in English), but it was kinda flukey. In the following match, Muertes' manager, Catrina threw the Magic Stone to Fenix and he clobber Mil with it. Catrina gave Mil the Lick of Death and then snogged Fenix. So Catrina, who is pretty jacked, was she a wrestler?, is with Fenix. Mil is doubly pissed for losing to this pipsqueek and losing his woman. Fenix is such a great babyface. AEW has really squandered Pentagon & Fenix thus far. Big charisma in both!

Muertes Suicide Dive for the red hot start! Muertes is Mesias for TNA & AAA fans and in my research, I found out he is Puerto Rican, which I didnt know.  Mesias is kicking ass and he is looking better than I remember from TNA watching. Fenix uses a quick kick to gain control, but tries to set up for a long run to dropkick but Muertes moves out of the way and Fenix bumps on the apron. Fenix uses another kick to the head to set up a Swandive over the top to the floor. That's what Fenix needs to do against the bigger and more powerful. Big aerial assault with lots of velocity to create momentum to compensate for his lack of mass. 

Muertes rises from the dead and Chops the hell out of Fenix's back. Slams his head into the Casket. Stop calling it a box you fucking idiot, Striker. Muertes beats Fenix with the Floral Arrangement I enjoy that. Fenix DDTs Muertes on the Casket. Fenis goes for another dives but ends up spearing the Casket! Muertes had lifted the Casket as a shield . Sick spot, probably the best of the match. Muertes tears the mask of Fenix almost clean off. Then does the bottom turnbuckle and smashes the turnbuckles into his head. The crowd chants "We Want Blood". Hell Yeah! Lucha Underground is best violent brawling territory of the 2010s. Muertes gnawing at the cut while choking him with the turnbuckle. This is fucking awesome! He beats Fenix up the stairs. This is a fantastic heat segment. Fenix is selling like a million bucks. They are up in the balcony. Muertes slams Fenix face-first into some metal vent duct. Damn! They teased a big highspot, but nada. Muertes POWERBOMBS Fenix on the announce table, but it doesnt break! That hurt! Fenix is selling like a million bucks while bleeding like a stuck pig. 

Muertes has dragged the Casket into the ring. Fenix takes a wicked bump, a back drop into the Casket and that's quite the dent. Back to biting the cut! Spitting Fenix's blood. Best Lucha Underground match of all time, baby! Superkick by Fenix! Got to go for headshots! Muertes big time Uppercut! Codebreaker from the top by Mil Muertes! Blood is just spurting from Fenix, who is selling so damn well. Mil wooden chair throws to the head! I love Chair Throws! Another big head kick by Fenix. It has been his best offense. Just keep trying to kick his head off. This sets up the Bleacher dive on Muertes. Kick to head->Dive is his best offensive combination. He deviated it from it again and back to getting slammed into the metal railing, repeatedly. Superkick to the head again and Moonsault from railing to Muertes. Head Kick->Dive! Keep it up! They slug it out. Muertes accidentally decks Catrina. He hestiates and Fenix Enziguiri! Head kick! Muertes bites the cut in retaliation! Catrina opens the Casket as they are struggling over a Suplex. BIG ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THE HEAD! Fenix walks the ropes and Double Stomp! Catrina Lick Of Death to the Magic Stone and throws it into the Casket.   

If Catrina still wants to be in wrestling, a promotion should look into picking her up, she has a great presence and charisma to her. Fantastic bloody brawl. Muertes was a powerhouse, horror movie monster come to life and just destroying Fenix. Fenix, bloody & battered, just kept fighting back and I loved the Kick To The Head/Dive Offensive Combination that was the theme of the match and that was ultimately the finish too! One of the best matches of the 2010s! ****1/2