Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-03-21-JAPW-Awaken] Low Ki vs Chris Dickinson

Phil Schneider

I was pretty low on Dickinson in the past, I described him as a fake Davey Richards which is about the worst way you can damn somebody. He has removed a lot of the extraneous bullshit, and is now mostly working on stiffness and his despicable charisma. He has to be one of the most hatable wrestlers I can remember, he feels like the kind of high school linebacker who would organize a gay bashing or gang rape, and add in the crew of creeps he runs with and you get a really compelling act. Low-Ki, especially in JAPW is a guy you want to see beat the shit out of someone, and man does he beat the shit out Dickinson, although Chris dishes it out too. Match starts out with some karate sparing, which is an interesting way to open a match, and then some decent takedowns and mat wrestling before the asskicking starts, Ki would blister Dickinson and he would fire back with some big shots, and also some fun cheap shots, Dickinson has a great looking eye poke. One point Dickinson kicks Ki really hard in the back and Ki fires back with this awesome four punch combo which they replayed from five different angles, so awesome, and really fit the somewhat ragged and uncooperative feel of the match. This match also had one of the cool superplexes I can remember seeing as Dickinson through Ki almost to the other side of the ring.

• 2 years later...

This is match Sami Callihan spoke about in a shoot interview. He mentioned one of them was stiffing the other and the other questioned him about it. It may have been Dickinson when he back kicked Ki as Ki got up visibly annoyed and Ki hit that wild punch combo on him as they go for the tie up immediately after. Would make sense as you can see he's toned it down on the next back kick later on in the match.

As for the match, yeah, this is great. Dickinson is awesome and is one of the few guys who's not afraid to go at it with Ki. His work in Beyond and EVOLVE is usually great. Him putting Ki in the pendulum and hitting Ki's head against the bottom corner while smiling in MVP's face was awesome. His brutal arm bending submissions and eye poke were great too. However, the highlight of this was easily Ki's previously mentioned punch combo. That botched brainbuster which was a forced plant DDT was brutal. The finish was on point too with that big tree of woe double stomp.

Really good match.

• GSR changed the title to [2015-03-21-JAPW-Awaken] Low Ki vs Chris Dickinson