Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-11-27-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Randy Savage vs Bret Hart

Superstar Sleeze

Randy "Macho Man" Savage vs Bret "Hitman" Hart - SNME 11/87

Unless I am forgetting some Rockers match, this is definitely my pick for best match in SNME history (Rockers/Busters match is close). Make no mistake about it, this is the Randy Savage show and one of the few times in his whole WWF career where Bret takes a backseat to someone in a match. As much as we can debate whether this is Bret's coming out party, this is definitively Savage's coming out party as the number two babyface in the company. Thus it is only logical that Savage is the star of the match, but that being said, there are very few heels at this point in time in the promotion that could have delivered the same performance as Bret did in this match. I think that is really when a match transcends into something special is when both wrestlers are crucial to the success of the match in such a way no other wrestler could take their place. To state in the converse fashion, neither wrestler feels like a generic, warm body to partake in the routine of someone else's match.

Savage is not a fan of extended segmenting in his matches especially he likes short babyface shines when he is a babyface. What I like about this is that adds a sense of struggle in a way that most WWF matches lack. Bret is almost getting in "heel hope spots" during the shine just to spice things up. They establish Macho Man will have plenty of extracurriculars to concern himself early especially how the Honky Tonk Man and the Harts treated Elizabeth on the last SNME. This is also the first instance of the rather proliferate Bret bump off the apron onto the guardrail that I have noticed.

One thing I love in my wrestling is urgency. Has there ever been a more urgent North American wrestler than Savage? I loved how he kicked Bret on the telegraphed back drop. He seemed so out of control. Savage crashes and burns on his double axe-handle to the guardrail. Bret delivers a piledriver that would make Bob Backlund proud before ramming his shoulder back into his post. Savage does a mini-control segment before being back dropped over the top rope and onto the floor. That was a crazy high bump. Thus begins Savage's Emmy campaign. If you have force me, I would say I prefer Savage' knee selling over Toshiaki Kawada's by a hair. Savage is just so excellent on fighting on one leg. Elizabeth helping Savage take off his boot is such a nice touch. Bret is in his element working over the leg and does a fantastic job. I don't think there was anyone on the WWF roster that could have pulled that role off and I don't think anyone could have sold as well as Savage. It was just a perfect confluence. They work this to such a fever pitch that crowd pops huge for Savage's desperation inside cradle off a bodyslam attempt to win.

An excellent match that illustrates how the WWF style had the potential to deliver powerful stories even if they didn't always. I loved this match and I think it is a harbinger of Bret's future and a testament to what Savage could be as a babyface. Perfect TV match. ****1/4

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1987-11-27-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Randy Savage vs Bret Hart
  • 3 years later...

Very good match that could have been elevated a bit more had it been more logical. It's just, I think Savage hurting his leg and taking his boot off to further expose the leg (especially the ankle), especially against a technician, is a bit of a dumb move. Hart is kind of dull on top before the leg injury but is much more fun being flung into the ring post and bumping into the turnbuckle pads and whatnot. For a heel he's not a very theatrical bumper but he'll take some rough shots to make his opponent look great (something he obviously continued becoming WWF's #1 throughout the early 90s). The guardrail shot off the apron looked particularly good; big fan of wrestlers flying into things and flopping down while holding onto said thing. Again not a fan of Savage's boot being off because it becomes a more vulnerable target, but Hart is naturally good working a limb and I dig the flash finish a lot as a convincing way for a one legged man to pull off the victory.