Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-07-27-WWE-Raw] Paige vs Sasha Banks

donsem43

Considering the amount of attention that the Diva's Revolution got at the start, I'm pretty surprised that this match got passed by without much attention. It gets off to an intense start as they lock up and manage to keep it going for awhile, eventually going to the floor. The main part of the match is after the commercial break with Sasha working over Paige. It's not at the level of the Takeover special but Sasha does a terrific job of making Paige earn her comebacks. Paige's selling wonderful here as she puts over Sasha's work and really throws everything into her offensive spurts. The finish seems simple but it works as it rewards the Sasha's strategy during the body of the match as Paige has nothing left to fight out of the Bank Statement. Not quite a hidden gem but still something to check out as this is what they should be do more of on RAW rather than the never ending faction stuff. ***3/4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a really good TV match I have no memory of until just watching it today. I thought the Main Event match with Nikki Bella was Paige's best match but I think this might be slightly better Match opens with some evenly-matches exchanges before a double dropkick. Sasha extends a hand to Paige and says "Shake my hand!" then viciously grabs her when Paige isn't keen. Sasha's heel control segment is really really good. WHO'S HOUSE IS IT NOW as she's beating down Paige in the corner later mocks Paige's YAAAA screams on the apron with an evil smirk. I like how the match mostly revolves around submissions in the second half and both women are selling being tried and are slowing down, but they still have the crowd with them. Paige eventually goes for a slam or something but she's too tired from the match and Sasha's offense on her body to get through the move, Sasha counters and turns it into a bank statement for the win. Really good finish using psychology that didn't require a single high spot to get over.

***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2015-07-27-WWE-Raw] Paige vs Sasha Banks
  • 2 years later...

This was a pretty good TV match, and a great statement of intent coming just off the Revolution stuff, but most of all it was a spectacular Sasha Banks performance. At this point she was really demonstrating every single time she was on TV just how great she was, at a level well above everyone else in sight. Her shit talking, the way she laid everything in, the smooth way she transitions to everything. I just love her. I think my favourite part may have been how desperate her cover was after the big knees in the corner. Paige had made her comeback and Sasha knew she had to capitalise.

Paige stepped it up for this and it's one of her better singles matches as well. There were still moments where it really felt like Paige was coming from a different era that would soon be obsolete, like when she did her creepy bisexual crawl and headbutt spot, which feels like it's from a completely different planet already by the end of July.