Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-01-13-Houston Wrestling] Midnight Express vs El Bracero & Lanny Poffo

shoe

This is about a month before the MX win the tag titles. They've worked Houston once before. This is a bout to establish them and give them a good win. Bracero is an established wrestler in the Houston area. These guys have a good match.

Early on we get Bracero one up the MX and the crowd is eating it up. I loved Eaton doing the Fargo Strut to only eat a dropkick in the mush. Poffo is in and he does a real neat segment with Condrey working a head lock and hair pull. The crowd goes nuts for it. I love how crowds cheer the faces doing illegal things. Eventually the MX take a powder and the faces doing back flips in the ring. Condrey is calling for a timeout.

The MX cut Bracero off and start working him over. Bracero is great in his FIP. He's eating all of the MX big moves. Eaton does a great distraction spot on Poffo to continue the beatdown. The crowd reacts to this in a very heated fashion. We get the hot tag, but wasn't delivered well or timed well. Upside like Goc said we get a row, row,row your boat spot. We get the finish.

A really fun midcard match. One team is on the rise, the other their to be a foot note in history.3*

I liked this a lot and kind of wish there were more Bracero/Poffo matches to look forward to as they are kind of a natural team as undercard babyfaces who were very "flippy" for the time period. Bracero put in a great performance as the FIP and continues to make me want to see more of him. The hot tag was surprisingly very weak as it just kind of happened and wasn't built to at all but the MX busted out a great double team move to finish off the match.

Not one of the MX's "greatest hits" but definitely a good match.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1984-01-13-Houston Wrestling] Midnight Express vs El Bracero & Lanny Poffo