Pro Wrestling Only

Southwest Championship Wrestling 1983 - The continuation

goc

Southwest Championship Wrestling @ San Antonio, TX - The HemisFair Arena 1/22/84

Man Mountain Link & Tiny Anderson vs. Mike Jackson & Tony Torres - Tiny Anderson argued with his brother Link before the match about who would start. Link finally let Tiny start the match against Tony Torres. Anderson started by faking a handshake and then hitting Torres with a cheap shot. Anderson beat on Torres a bit before whipping him into the corner and running in after him but Tony Torres took a page out of Mike Jackson's playbook and bounced off the second rope and turned around with a crossbody and pinned Tiny Anderson for a very quick victory.

Winners: Mike Jackson and Tony Torres in 1:12 after Tony Torres pinned Tiny Anderson following a turnaround crossbody

Tiny Anderson got up looking embarrassed while Man Mountain Link just stepped down off the apron and went back to the locker room not even looking at his brother

Southwest Television Title: Roy Lee Welch vs. Mike Masters w/Jim Holliday - Now that Masters had regained the TV Title he went back to his tactics of stalling and avoiding contact. Masters managed to avoid contact with Roy Lee Welch for almost the first 5 minutes of the match before Welch got sick of Masters running away from him and goaded him into the middle of the ring by offering to allow Masters to put the Full Nelson on him. Masters took the bait but as he started to hook in the Full Nelson, Welch used the roll up counter on him that he employed to win the TV Title off him before. Masters managed to kick out just before the 3 count however and then rolled out of the ring. Welch went out after him and chased Masters around the ring when Jim Holliday stepped in his path. Welch bowled over Holliday but then Masters turned around and decked him with a big clothesline. Masters picked Welch up and dropped him throat first over the guard rail and then got back in the ring just as Carl Fergie got to the 8 count. Fergie started his count over on Roy Lee Welch as the fans at ringside urged Welch to get back up and get in the ring. Welch staggered back up and managed to get back in the ring just before Fergie counted 10. Masters immediately started stomping on Welch as he rolled back in the ring and then scooped him up and slammed him down with a hard bodyslam. Masters flexed and mocked Roy Lee Welch and then got ready to drop an elbow on him but Welch rolled out of the way. Masters got up angry and tried again for an elbow drop but Welch rolled out of the way a second time. Welch and Masters got back to their feet at the same time and Masters came charging at Welch and got taken down with a drop toe hold. Welch then tried to put the Spinning Toe Hold on Mike Masters but got kicked off and went staggering backwards into the corner. Masters got up and charged at Welch in the corner but Welch dodged out of the way and Masters went hard into the turnbuckles. Welch then monkey flipped Masters out of the corner and went for the Spinning Toe Hold again and this time he managed to get it on! Masters screamed in pain as Jim Holliday urged him not to give up as the ring announcer had already announced there was only 30 seconds left in the match. Masters looked about ready to give up when the bell suddenly rang and the match was declared a time limit draw.

Result: Time limit draw in 10 minutes

Goldie Rogers & Timothy Flowers w/Jim Holliday vs. Steve Pardee & Larry Hamilton - Pardee & Hamilton out wrestled Rogers & Flowers throughout the match while Rogers & Flowers had to resort to underhanded tactics to gain any kind of advantage. After a lot of back and forth action, Steve Pardee had Goldie Rogers set up for a Bulldog when Timothy Flowers ran in and clotheslined him. Larry Hamilton ran in to defend his partner and this led to all four men in the ring. While Carl Fergie was busy trying to restore order and get Hamilton & Flowers out of the ring, Jim Holliday jumped on the apron and hit Steve Pardee from behind. Pardee turned around and nailed Holliday, knocking him off the apron but Goldie Rogers took advantage of Pardee's back being turned and came crashing into Pardee with a knee to his back and then hit him with the Hollywood Blockbuster neckbreaker and pinned him to win the match.

Winners: Goldie Rogers & Timothy Flowers in 10:44 after Rogers pinned Steve Pardee following interference from Jim Holliday

Southwest Heavyweight Title: El Gran Apollo vs. Mr. Saito - Saito attacks Apollo before the bell and stays all over him for the first few minutes of the match just blasting him with chops and kicks. Saito throws Apollo out of the ring and then keeps blocking him from getting back inside, knocking him off the apron and kicking him through the ropes. Finally Apollo grabs Saito's leg and yanks him off his feet and then drags Saito to the corner where he slams Saito's leg off of the steel ring post. Apollo comes back inside and starts working on Saito's leg, even putting Saito in his own kneeling figure four hold. Saito eventually gets to the ropes to break the hold and rolls outside the ring to shake the leg out and try and regain mobility. Apollo doesn't allow him any respite however as he dives through the ropes out after Saito and then rolls him back in the ring. Apollo climbs to the top rope and sets himself for the Top Rope Crossbody but Saito ducks out of the way at the last second and Apollo flies into referee Jack Howe instead! Apollo tries to help Jack Howe back to his feet while Saito goes outside the ring and grabs the Southwest Heavyweight Title. As Saito gets back in the ring, Apollo turns around only to get smacked in the head by the Southwest belt! Saito throws the title back outside the ring as Jack Howe starts to get back up. Saito covers Apollo but Jack Howe makes a slow count due to being groggy and Apollo is able to kick out before the count of 3!

Saito starts to argue with Jack Howe about his slow count and then turns around right into a small package from El Gran Apollo! Saito kicks out at two though and gets up furious as he starts chopping and pounding on Apollo. Saito tries to throw a kick at Apollo but Apollo grabs it and yanks Saito off hAis feet and goes back to working on his leg. This time Apollo puts Saito in a standard figure four and Saito makes another long slow effort to get himself into the ropes. Apollo breaks the hold only to pull Saito back towards the center of the ring and starts to set him up for the figure four again but Saito manages to rake Apollo's eyes to get Apollo of of him. Saito gets up badly hobbled and starts chopping at Apollo again. Saito tries for a gutwrench suplex on Apollo but his leg gives out and Apollo lands on top of him for a pin but Saito kicks out just before the count of 3. Saito tries to roll away from Apollo but Apollo grabs his injured leg and pulls him back towards the center of the ring and starts to set him up for another figure four but Saito kicks him in the ass as he's spinning around and Apollo goes flying forward and through the ropes to the outside of the ring. Saito hobbles back to a standing base, only really able to stand on one foot. Apollo climbs back up to the apron and Saito tries to fight him off and keep him from getting back in the ring but Apollo fights back with forearms and gains re-entry into the ring. Saito tries to attack Apollo with chops but Apollo's forearms prove to be stronger as he gets the better of the striking battle. Apollo shoves Saito into the corner and starts hammering him with more forearms. Referee Jack Howe steps in and gets Apollo back to try and let Saito out of the corner but Apollo goes right back in and starts pounding on Saito some more. Saito looks to be pretty much out of the fight with his bad leg and the forearms knocking him loopy as Jack Howe once again gets in front of Apollo and backs him off of Saito. Saito sees Apollo coming at him again and spits in Apollo's face which sets Apollo off as he just starts unloading with forearms on Saito again. Jack Howe tries to step in again but Apollo shoves him aside and just keeps hammering on Saito with forearms. Jack Howe gets back up and tries to pull Apollo out of the corner only for Apollo to grab him and toss him half way across the ring this time. Apollo has Saito out on his feet as he just continues to pound on him with forearms but when Jack Howe gets back up he calls for the bell and disqualified El Gran Apollo!

Winner and STILL Southwest Heavyweight Champion: Mr. Saito by disqualification in 16:29 after Apollo tossed referee Jack Howe across the ring

Apollo doesn't let up on his assault until a bunch of other wrestlers run out to the ring and pull him off of Mr. Saito who is totally out of it. Apollo storms away from ringside with wrestlers trying to calm him down as referees Jack Howe and Carl Fergie then have to help Mr. Saito out of the ring and back to the locker room

The Iraqi Special Forces vs. Jim Duggan & Ron Starr - The Iraqi Special Forces came out first in all black bodysuits and black masks. Jim Duggan then came out to the ring alone and stood in the aisle facing The Iraqi Special Forces when suddenly Ron Starr came out of the crowd and stood behind them on the opposite side of the ring. Duggan rushed into the ring and attacked the two masked men as Ron Starr came in from the other side and suddenly helped The Iraqi Special Forces attack Jim Duggan! Duggan tried to fight off all three men but eventually fell victim to the numbers game. The Iraqi Special Forces held Duggan in position as Ron Starr backed off and then came rushing in with a big running knee lift that took Duggan down. Ron Starr then climbed to the top rope as the masked men held Duggan's arm out. Ron Starr then came off the top with a big knee drop onto Duggan's arm. Ron went up to the top again and came off with another knee drop onto Duggan's arm. Starr started to climb to the top rope a third time when suddenly Tiger Conway Jr, Steve Pardee, Larry Hamilton, Mike Jackson, Tony Torres, Roy Lee Welch and Man Mountain Link ran out and chased the three attackers off. Jim Duggan then had to be helped back to the locker room with his right arm hanging limp by his side and possibly broken.

Result: No contest as Ron Starr turned on Jim Duggan before the match even started

Winner picks stipulations for next week's Loser Leaves Texas match: David Von Erich vs. Tully Blanchard w/Sunshine - Both men came out of the gate swinging as they both wanted to win to ensure they got their desired stipulations for next week's match. David got the best of the brawl but Tully managed to get in a cheap shot as referee Carl Fergie was trying to get in between both men and have them open up their fists. Tully then raked David's eyes and started choking him on the ropes but made sure to break before a 5 count to avoid disqualification. Tully kept control for a bit and focused his attack on David's right hand, using every shortcut he could to maintain his advantage until David was able a punch from Tully and come back with one of his own. David and Tully had another punch exchange with David again getting the better of it. Tully tried to bail out of the ring and get away from David but David was right on his heels and attacked him outside the ring. Sunshine tried to shield Tully but David picked her up and moved her out of the way but as David turned his back on Tully to do that, Tully attacked him which caused David to drop Sunshine on the floor of the HemisFair Arena. Tully tried to get back in the ring as he realized that Carl Fergie had gotten to the count of 8 but David grabbed him as he got on the apron and pulled him back down. David then tried to get in at the count of 9 but Tully stopped him and both men were then counted out.

Result: Double count out in 6:09

After the match David and Tully kept fighting at ringside and Carl Fergie and Jack Howe couldn't stop them. The brawl around the ring continued for a few minutes before nearly the entire locker room had to come out and separate David & Tully

Masks vs Southwest Tag Team Titles: The Assassins vs. The Fabulous Ones - The Fabs totally dominated the early going of the match and made The Assassins looks like fools. After almost 10 minutes of just being totally in control of the match Stan Lane went for the Russian Legsweep on Assassin #1 when suddenly Assassin #2 ran in and blasted Stan Lane in the fact with his running boot. Steve Keirn tried to rush in and attack Assassin #2 but Jack Howe held him back and while that was going on Assassin #2 pulled his partner to the corner and The Assassins made an illegal switch. Assassin #2 tried to pin Stan Lane but he was able to kick out before the 3 count and then The Assassins went to work on Lane. The Assassins kept Lane in their corner and made frequent tags to be able to keep double teaming him but Lane kept kicking out of their pin attempts or was saved by Steve Keirn running in and breaking up the pin. With The Assassins being unable to keep Lane down, they got desperate and Assassin #1 pulled something out of his trunks and loaded it into his mask. Assassin #2 held Lane from behind while Assassin #1 went for a headbutt but Lane was able to duck out of the way at the last second and Assassin #1 headbutted his partner instead. Assassin #2 fell off the apron to the arena floor and Stan Lane managed to dive into his corner and make the tag to Steve Keirn! Assassin #1 tried to headbutt Keirn as he came charging in but Keirn kicked him in the gut and then slammed Assassin #1's head into the turnbuckle! Assassin #1 staggered around while Keirn bounced off the ropes and then came in with a huge Flying Forearm and then pinned Assassin #1 to win the match!

Winners and STILL Southwest Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Ones in 19:04 after Steve Keirn pinned Assassin #1 following a Flying Forearm

After the match the referee tried to get Assassin #1 to unmask but he refused and shoved him away. The Fabs tried to attack him and take his mask off of him but Assassin #2 jumped in to help his partner and Assassin #1 took the opportunity to escape the ring. The ring announcer got on the mic and said that if The Assassins refused to unmask they would not only be barred from wrestling in Southwest Championship Wrestling but all of the AWA. Assassin #1 walked back to the locker room with his mask still on but Assassin #2 stayed in the ring and took off his mask, leaving the mask in the middle of the ring as he walked back to the dressing room. His identity was unknown to the fans in the arena as he'd never been in the Southwest area before unmasked but surely his identity will be revealed on the next episode of Southwest Championship Wrestling TV.

Taped at The Junction in San Antonio, TX on 1/23

Southwest Championship Wrestling airing on Saturday 1/28 in local markets

-Instead of the usual intro the show opens with a video of Ron Starr turning on Jim Duggan at the HemisFair Arena and breaking his arm

steverstack1_zps2225fa25.jpg

Steve Stack: Welcome to a very special edition of Southwest Championship Wrestling! This week we had planned to spend the entire hour talking about the Loser Leaves Texas match this Sunday night between David Von Erich and Tully Blanchard but with some huge events taking place over the past week we're going to have to talk about those first before we spend the second half of the show on the Loser Leaves Texas showdown. As you saw at the start of the program, instead of teaming with Jim Duggan against the Iraqi Special Forces last Sunday night, Ron Starr teamed with the Iraqi Special Forces to help break Jim Duggan's arm. We had a camera backstage in the HemisFair Arena and got immediate comments from Ron Starr after that took place and we'll be showing that video when we come back from break. So don't go away, we'll be right back with the words straight from Ron Starr's mouth on why he turned his back on 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan.

-First commercial break-

Steve Stack: We're back and now let's go ahead and play the video we shot last Sunday night in the locker room of the HemisFair Arena asking Ron Starr just why he helped the Iraqi Special Forces break Jim Duggan's arm.

Vng9CVN.jpg
Ron Starr: You brought this camera back here to ask me why I broke Jim Duggan's arm and the answer is real simple. Because the price was right. I said a few weeks ago on TV that Sheik Adnan insulted me with his offer of $5,000 but I never said I wasn't for sale at any amount. I knew after breaking Sheik Adnan's arm he had to know I was a man capable of doing what the job he wanted and every since that happened he and I have been talking and negotiating. I wanted more than just a one time pay off, I wanted to make sure that I was set for life. He kept offering more and more money but balking at the extra perks that I wanted. That was until Jim Duggan and I defeated Ken Patera and One Man Gang. Then he finally agreed to give me what I wanted.

Steve Stack: Well what IS it that you wanted? What did Sheik Adnan give you that made it worth it for you to turn your back on your friend Jim Duggan and betray him?

Ron Starr: Everything. Money, land, women. You used to call me "Rugged" Ron Starr but from now on you can call me Sheik Ron Starr. I made Adnan put me on his level, I made him give me lands in Iraq, lands rich with oil, I made him give me women, 7 beautiful women, a different one for every night of the week. What other man in America has his own harem? In one night I went from a regular joe, working hard to get by and now I have EVERYTHING. I have a house, no, a PALACE waiting for me in Iraq.

Steve Stack: How do you know you can trust Sheik Adnan? How do you know that the things he promised you are actually what they say? You could think you've got a palace filled with 7 beautiful women and find out it's just a hut with some camels outside of it.

Ron Starr: You really think I'm that stupid to just take Adnan at his word? There was no family emergency Steve Stack, the reason I wasn't in Texas all week isn't because I was in Alabama. It's because I was in Iraq with Sheik Adnan making sure that everything he promised me was legit. And believe me Steve Stack, it was everything he said it was. I was ready to just pack up my things and head straight back there after tonight but Sheik Adnan made me agree to stay around Texas until his one year ban is up. He wants to make sure that Jim Duggan is completely broken, that he won't be back and that the way is going to be clear for him to return and enact his plan to take over the oil fields of Texas. So as much as I'd love to leave this stinking state of Texas and head off to my PALACE, you're going to be seeing my face around here for a little while longer. Just make sure you get the name right. It's not 'Rugged' Ron Starr anymore, it's SHEIK Ron Starr.

Steve Stack: Well I don't know quite what to say about Ron Starr suddenly becoming a Sheik but someone else certainly had something they wanted to say about it. I received word that someone in the other locker room in the HemisFair Arena wanted to know what Ron Starr had to say. So I went over and found out that Roy Lee Welch wanted to challenge Ron Starr to a match and after telling him the things that Ron Starr had to say, he was even more riled up and ready to fight.

hc5IzrH.jpg?1
Roy Lee Welch
: Ron Starr I just heard about what the deal you made with Sheik Adnan. You didn't just turn your back on Jim Duggan, you turned your back on this country! You turned your back on everything that a boy raised in Alabama should know to stand for. You broke Jim Duggan's arm, a man who was your friend, who stood by you and fought side by side with you, just to get land and women over in some god forsaken sand dune of a country. Well it makes me sick! If Jim Duggan was going to be able to take care of you himself I'd certainly stay out of the way and watch him do it but with his broken arm there is no way he's going to be able to wrestle for at least a month. So I want to be the first one to show you just what price you're going to have to pay for turning your back on your friends and your country. I don't like to hurt people, that's not why I'm in the professional wrestling business. But I have done it before when the occassion called for it and for you Rotten Ron Starr, I think the time is just right.

Steve Stack: A match between Ron Starr and Roy Lee Welch has been signed and will take place this Sunday night in the HemisFair Arena. Right now we've got to take a commercial break but when we come back we're going to be showing video of another big event that took place at the HemisFair Arena last Sunday night when The Assassins lost to The Fabulous Ones and were forced to unmask! Don't go away we'll be right back.

-Second commercial break-

The show comes back from commercial and immediately goes into showing the end of The Assassins vs. Fabulous Ones match and the aftermath with Assassin #1 refusing to unmask and leaving the ring while Assassin #2 remained inside and took off his mask

Steve Stack: Fans as you just saw in the video, Assassin #1 refused to unmask and as a result of that he has been banned not just from Southwest Championship Wrestling but the entire AWA. You also saw in that video the unmasking of Assassin #2. It seemed that the fans in the arena had no idea who that man was even without the mask and they weren't alone as I also was unfamiliar with him. So I went back to the locker room of the HemisFair Arena and talked to him to find out his name and his history in the professional wrestling business.

mgoqw4T.jpg?1
Steve Stack: Sir I know you just wrestled a hard match and I'm sure all you want to do is take a shower and get out of the arena but I have to ask you your name, where you were wrestling at before you become a partner of The Assassin and what your plans are now that you've lost your mask.

Vic Rain: My name is Vic Rain. Before I became an Assassin people used to call me The Canadian Wildcat. Before I got hooked up with The Assassin I spent almost my entire career wrestling in Canada. About a year ago I got banned from Canada. They told me I was too violent, too wild, that I'd hurt too many people. So I started to call around and look for work down here in the United States but none of the promoters wanted to hire a man with that kind of reputation. I thought my career was over until I got a call from The Assassin and he told me he needed a new partner. He said he'd heard about me, he'd heard I was looking to come to the United States and that a man with my reputation would make a great Assassin. So I spent almost the last year wrestling under a mask as The Assassin and also a little time as The Canadian when Assassin #1 wanted me to check out a place without letting them know The Assassins were on the way in. It was a good gig, I liked being an Assassin but it wasn't worth getting banned from the AWA over. I'm already banned from wrestling in Canada, I don't need to make it any harder on myself to find work. As for my future plans? I plan on staying right here in the Southwest area. These people are going to find out I'm capable of being a lot more than the second Assassin. They are going to find out just what The Canadian Wildcat is all about.

Steve Stack: Well I hope that video answered a lot of the questions the fans had about just who Assassin #2 is. He's going to be in action this Sunday night in the HemisFair Arena for the first time under his real name of Vic Rain as he takes on El Bracero. Some other matches that are scheduled to take place this Sunday night are The Fabulous Ones defending the Southwest Tag Team Titles against Ron Sexton and Pat Rose, Sheik Ron Starr against Roy Lee Welch, Mike Masters defending the Southwest Television Title against Tiger Conway Jr, the return to the Southwest area of former Southwest Tag Team Champions, The Grapplers, as they will be taking on the team of Mike Jackson and Tony Torres and in the semi-main event Mr. Saito will defend the Southwest Heavyweight Title in a No Disqualification match against El Gran Apollo. But as everyone knows the main event will be a Loser Leaves Texas match between Tully Blanchard and David Von Erich. Last Sunday night David and Tully had a match that was supposed to determine who would pick the stipulations for the match this Sunday night but that match ended in a double countout. So when we come back from this next commercial break we are going to be talking to the AWA President Stanley Blackburn about his decision about what the stipulations of the Loser Leaves Texas match will be, don't go away!

-Third commercial break-

Steve Stack: Welcome back to Southwest Championship Wrestling! With me now is the President of the AWA, Stanley Blackburn. Mr. Blackburn, last Sunday night David Von Erich and Tully Blanchard met in a match where the winner would get to decide what the stipulations of the Loser Leaves Texas match would be. With that match ending in a draw, there was no winner. So how did you decide upon the stipulations?

Stanley Blackburn: It seemed to me that with the match ending in a draw there was no winner but there was also no loser. I didn't see a reason to punish either man by denying them the stipulation that they wanted and thus I made the main event this Sunday night both a Texas Death Match AND a Cage Match!

Steve Stack: Wow! That's a huge announcement, thank you for coming on the program to tell us your decision. Right now I want to play a special video package that will show just how this Loser Leaves Texas Death Match inside a Steel Cage situation came about. This video will show the formation of the Texas Dynasty tag team, how that tag team ended and the events that have taken place between the two men since their team ended.

A video package plays which shows the first appearance of David Von Erich in Southwest Championship Wrestling where he made a surprise attack on The Fabulous Ones and he and Tully left Steve Keirn bleeding on the floor of The Junction. It then shows a few clips of the Texas Dynasty in the Southwest Tag Team Title tournament and their win in the finals over The Fabulous Ones. The video plays some footage of The Texas Dynasty's various battles against The Fabulous Ones until it gets to the Final Dance Cage Match and The Fabulous Ones winning the match. The video then cuts to Sunshine and Tully helping David out of the cage and the moment when Tully shoved Sunshine down and slammed the steel cage door on David's head. David is shown being stretchered out of the arena. A few clips of Tully's interviews bragging about what he did to David are shown and then David's return is shown. Clips play of David together with Sunshine and then the clip of Sunshine turning on David and hitting him in the back of the head with her loaded purse plays. Clips of Tully bragging about Sunshine leaving David to be with him play and then clips of David vowing for revenge. The video wraps up with clips of the battles between David and Tully that have taken places since then, including David beating Tully for the Southwest Title and then Tully and Sunshine helping Mr. Saito beat David for the Southwest Title in the same night. The video ends with a clip of the wild brawl between Tully and David last week at The HemisFair Arena that had to be broken up by nearly the entire locker room.

Steve Stack: I'd like to thank the hard working production crew of Southwest Championship Wrestling for putting together that great video. We've got to take a break now but when we come back we're going to be talking to Tully Blanchard about his feud with David Von Erich and how he feels now that it's all coming to a head in the Loser Leaves Texas Death Match inside a Steel Cage this Sunday night. Don't go away we'll be right back!

-Fourth commercial break-

Steve Stack: Welcome back to Southwest Championship Wrestling! Before I bring on Sunshine and Tully Blanchard I need to address something that happened on the program last week. First I'd like to just assure all the fans who called the television stations and the office of Southwest Championship Wrestling that I am fine and I was not injured or hurt by Eddie Gilbert last week. Also Ken Lucas wanted to be on the program today but unfortunately I couldn't give him any interview time with today's special in-depth look at the feud between Tully Blanchard and David Von Erich. But Ken Lucas has asked that I at least announce that he will be at the HemisFair Arena this Sunday night and will be going to the ring to make a special challenge to Eddie Gilbert to come out and fight him. I don't even know if Eddie Gilbert is still in Texas so I have no idea if he will show up to answer that challenge but I gave my word to Ken Lucas that I would announce it here on the program so I have done so. Now with that out of the way I would like to bring out Tully Blanchard and his valet Sunshine.

Tully Blanchard and Sunshine come out

5R9RdmO.jpg?1 2bST7lZ.jpg?1

Tully Blanchard: Didn't you listen to anything I said last week Steve Stack? Sunshine is not my valet, she is my manager and more than that she is my woman. And hopefully Eddie Gilbert will come back on the show sometime and shove you around some more so she can replace you as the host of this show.

Steve Stack: I don't find that very humorous Tully and I'd appreciate if we could not talk about that and instead talk about your match this Sunday night against David Von Erich.

Tully Blanchard: That's fine Steve Stack because I have a lot to say about that. First of all I think it's ridiculous the way that Stanley Blackburn gave David Von Erich what he wanted and put the match inside a Steel Cage.

Steve Stack: But he also gave you the stipulations that YOU wanted and made it a Texas Death Match.

Tully Blanchard: It's not the same thing now Steve Stack! I wanted to drag David Von Erich all around the HemisFair Arena so every fan in attendance could see the blood streaming down his face, so they could see me beat the little bit of brains he has left out of his head and see me send him right out of MY state of Texas.

Steve Stack: I've heard a few people say the reason you wanted a Texas Death Match is you wanted to make sure Sunshine and her loaded purse could get involved in the match and maybe leave open the possibility of having someone else come to your aid.

Tully Blanchard: Who are these people you've been talking to Steve Stack? It's a wonder that there is anyone dumber than you in this area but there must be if anyone is putting that kind of false information in your ear. I don't need anything but these two fists right here to beat David Von Erich. But since it IS going to be a Steel Cage I might just find a way to use that door like I did so well the last time he and I stepped into a Cage together.

Steve Stack: Since we have a lot more time to talk than the usual interview segment, I'd like to ask you about that incident. Did you know going into that tag team match that if you and David lost to The Fabulous Ones that you were going to turn on him?

Tully Blanchard: I knew that he was holding me back. I knew that he was the dead weight of the team. I knew that I was the real Texas Dynasty and he was just riding my coat tails. And when he caused us to lose to The Fabulous Ones, I knew it was time to rid myself of that dead weight.

Steve Stack: Well if you feel that way about David, why did you call him to be your tag team partner in the first place? At that time you had Killer Khan here as your bodyguard, why didn't you just team with him?

Tully Blanchard: Maybe that's what I should have done Steve Stack, I'm sure if I had teamed up with Killer Khan then we would have got rid of The Fabulous Ones a long time ago and we'd probably still be the Southwest Tag Team Champions together. But what you have wrong is that I didn't call David, he called me. He said he was sick of hearing about how The Fabulous Ones were the hot young team in Texas, how they were the heart throbs of the state and all the women were going crazy for them. He said that The Von Erichs were the only heart throbs in the state and that he wanted to send The Fabs back to Memphis but that his brothers didn't want to come to San Antonio to do it so he asked me to let him be my partner for the tournament. I should have said no but I thought it would be funny to shock the wrestling world by having a Blanchard and a Von Erich teaming up so I told him he could come down here and be my partner. And for a time I was able to carry him on my shoulders to greatness but eventually the burden just got too great for me and I had to drop him.

Steve Stack: A lot of people seem to think that David Von Erich is going to be victorious this Sunday night and that you're going to be leaving Texas. What do you have to say to those people?

Tully Blanchard: I'd like to ask them if they know about the fact that David Von Erich has already found himself some place else to wrestle?

Steve Stack: What are you talking about?

Tully Blanchard: David Von Erich knows he's going to lose this Sunday, he knows I'm going to run him out of Texas. That's why he got himself booked to go on a tour of Japan. He knows that he can't just go back to Dallas and wrestle with his brothers so he had to find work half way around the world with All Japan Pro Wrestling. Look it up yourself Steve Stack, the next tour for All Japan starts on February 10th and David Von Erich will be on it. The fans and whatever idiots you've been talking to can think whatever they want Steve Stack, but David Von Erich knows he's going to lose this Sunday. He knows he won't be able to wrestle in Texas for at least 90 days and that's why he's going to Japan.

Steve Stack: I have to admit I did not know about that but a lot of wrestlers go on those Japan tours, it doesn't mean that David knew that he was going to lose this Sunday and he probably had that tour planned long before this Loser Leaves Texas match was ever made.

Tully Blanchard: Lie to yourself all you want Steve Stack, that Japan tour is all the proof you should need. David knows he can't beat me.

Steve Stack: Well that brings me to the next thing I wanted to ask you about in the only definitive match you've had against each other, David defeated you. He made you pass out in the Iron Claw and beat you for the Southwest Heavyweight Title.

Tully Blanchard: What are you talking about Steve Stack!? He cheated to win that match, he hit me with the Southwest Title and busted me open and that's the only reason I passed out in the match. I passed out from the blood loss not from that little wimpy Iron Claw that he does.

Steve Stack: Let me ask Sunshine a question now. Sunshine if Tully Blanchard has to leave the state of Texas, are you going to go with him?

Sunshine: I haven't even thought about that Steve Stack because I know that Tully isn't going anywhere. The last time David got into a Steel Cage with my man Tully, he had to be taken out of the arena on a stretcher. At the time I was distraught and hysterical over seeing him get carried out but I know it's going to happen again this Sunday night and the only tears I will cry will be tears of joy. Tears of joy because the biggest mistake of my life will finally be out of my life and Tully and I can finally have a future without David Von Erich in it.

Steve Stack: Well we're about out of time here now Tully, do you have any last comments you'd like to make about the match this Sunday?

Tully Blanchard: I do have one last thing I want to say. I am the longest reigning Southwest Heavyweight Champion of all time, I held that belt for over 6 months. David Von Erich held it for less than 2 hours. That alone should tell you just how big the difference is between us as wrestlers. For anyone who is stupid enough to be a fan of David Von Erich, make sure you buy your tickets to say goodbye to him this Sunday night. Because a Yellow Rose can easily be plucked but I'm the Texas Dynasty and a dynasty lasts forever.

Tully and Sunshine leave the interview area

Steve Stack: Well fans Tully and Sunshine both seem very confident going into the Loser Leaves Texas match this Sunday night. Right now we've got to take our last commercial break of the program but when we come back we're going to talk to that Yellow Rose of Texas of himself, David Von Erich. Don't go away we'll be right back!

-Fifth and final commercial break-

DAVIDvonErich.gif

Steve Stack: We're back on Southwest Championship Wrestling and with me now is the man who will be facing Tully Blanchard in the much talked about Loser Leaves Texas match this Sunday night, David Von Erich! David before we talk about anything else I need to ask you if what Tully Blanchard said is true. Are you planning on going on the next tour with All Japan?

David Von Erich: Well Steve Stack I'm surprised you were able to stand the smell out here a few minutes ago with all the BS that Tully was dropping. But the thing about me going to Japan is just about the only thing he said that IS true. Yes, I am going on the next tour with All Japan that starts on February 10th. And like you said, I made plans to go on that tour long before I ever signed the contract for the Loser Leaves Texas match. I'm only going to be gone from Texas for 3 weeks and Tully is going to be gone at least 90 days, because he is the one who is going to lose this Sunday night.

Steve Stack: You said that was the only thing Tully said that was true, then do you dispute what he said about how your partnership started?

David Von Erich: Yes I do Steve Stack. I never called Tully Blanchard and asked him if I could be his partner, he called me. He called me and I was so surprised that he would even call me that I let my guard down and I fell for all his lies. He told me about how if we teamed up together it would be the biggest news in all of wrestling, how we'd be on the cover of every wrestling magazine, how we'd be getting World Tag Team Title matches and all kinds of things. And I wanted to prove that I could achieve success away from my family, that I could be a champion somewhere other than Dallas so I told Tully I would be his partner.

Steve Stack: Once you started to spend time around Tully, what was your opinion of him? You've always been a straight forward kind of guy, you didn't rely on other people to help you win matches the way that you were doing as part of The Texas Dynasty when people like Killer Khan, Sunshine and Mr. Saito were interfering in matches to help you. What made you change your style to be more like Tully's?

David Von Erich: Well I grew up on a ranch as part of a big family. I grew up doing chores on the farm and wearing hand me down clothes. When I got around Tully he was living an entirely different kind of lifestyle. He grew up an only child and instead of hand me downs he just had everything handed to him. I had never really been around fancy restaurants or worn expensive suits but that's how Tully lived his life and I just got sucked into it. At first I didn't like winning my matches the way I was winning them but it made things easier and it meant I wasn't as beat up at the end of the night when it came time to go out and party with Tully and Sunshine.

Steve Stack: Before your Cage match teaming with Tully against The Fabulous Ones did you have any sense that Tully might betray you if you lose that match?

David Von Erich: No, but I really should have seen it coming. When Tully and I lost the match it meant that we couldn't wrestle for the Southwest Tag Team Titles anymore and I should have known that if we couldn't be champions together that Tully wouldn't want to be a team and that of course he would try and take me out of the picture so that I wouldn't try to come after his Southwest Heavyweight Title. After he slammed the cage door on my head I went back to my family's ranch in Dallas to recover and that's when I realized just how far I had gotten off the right path. I'm not a man who belongs in fancy restaurants or wearing expensive suits. I should have never even left Dallas to come down to San Antonio to team with Tully but after what he did to me I had no choice but to come back and get my revenge on him.

Steve Stack: When you came back and finally got your match with Tully, things really did not go as you planned it. What went through your mind after that match, after Sunshine hit you with her loaded purse and left the HemisFair Arena on the arm of Tully Blanchard?

David Von Erich: That was the lowest moment of my life. Slamming the steel cage door on my head hurt me more physically but Sunshine betraying me hurt me emotionally and it hurt my pride. No man wants to lose his woman, much less losing her to your worst enemy in a very public way. Every time I see her it takes everything in me not to grab her and put the Iron Claw on her and make her hurt the way she hurt me, but that's not the way my father raised me. My father raised me that no matter what a woman does you just don't put your hands on her. So the only way I can hurt her is by hurting Tully and making her watch me do it.

Steve Stack: Just a minute ago you said you should have never left Dallas to come to San Antonio. When you finish your tour of Japan do you intend to come back her to Southwest Championship Wrestling or go back to Dallas?

David Von Erich: You know Steve Stack, I have thought a lot about that. I thought that after beating Tully Blanchard and sending him out of Texas, that I won't have anything left to do here. But something Tully said earlier made me realize I will still have some unfinished business here. I don't want to go down in history as having a less than 2 hour reign as the Southwest Heavyweight Champion. So when I come back from Japan I will be coming back here to Southwest Championship Wrestling. And whether it's Mr. Saito or someone else I plan on setting my sights on that belt and I want to be break Tully's record as the longest reigning champion.

Steve Stack: Well I'm glad to hear that you'll be coming back here and I know the fans will as well. We're about out of time on the program so I'd like to just give you the time to make any last comments you'd like to make about the Loser Leaves Texas match.

David Von Erich: This whole feud between myself and Tully Blanchard started inside a Steel Cage so it's only fitting that it end there as well. And I'm going to see to it that it ends in a perfect bookend. It started with me having my head slammed inside the door of that cage and being stretchered out of the arena with Sunshine crying over my body. And that's exactly how I plan for this Steel Cage match to end. With Tully's head being slammed inside the Steel Cage door and Sunshine crying over his body as he gets carried out of the arena. I hope he will be able to find himself a nice place outside of Texas to recuperate in because he won't be able to do it inside the state.

David Von Erich leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: Well fans there you have it! David Von Erich says he is going to end the battle with Tully Blanchard in the same way that it started and I don't doubt that he will do it if he has the chance. We're out of time on today's program and I have to tell you that you better buy your tickets right now for this Sunday at the HemisFair Arena because if there has ever been a guarantee of a sell out it's this week. The Loser Leaves Texas Death Match inside a Steel Cage is surely the biggest match that's ever taken place inside the HemisFair Arena and you are not going to be one of the people who gets turned away at the door because there are no tickets left. Make sure to join us again here next week for more Southwest Championship Wrestling, so long everybody!

Scheduled for Sunday, January 29th at the HemisFair Arena in San Antonio, TX

Loser Leaves Texas Death Match inside a Steel Cage: David Von Erich vs. Tully Blanchard w/Sunshine

Southwest Team Titles: Pat Rose & Ron Sexton vs. The Fabulous Ones

No Disqualification, Southwest Heavyweight Title: El Gran Apollo vs. Mr. Saito

Ron Starr vs. Roy Lee Welch

Southwest Television Title: Tiger Conway Jr. vs. Mike Masters

The Grapplers vs. Mike Jackson & Tony Torres

Vic Rain vs. El Bracero

I remember you telling me about how you were going to push El Gran Apollo last July, and it looks like he's almost at the top of the mountain against all the adversity over the past 6-9 months...

He's definitely the most "unknown" guy who got a big push in the 1983 project (with Mike Masters maybe being #2) but my whole outlook on it was that if you had an entirely new set of bookers take over in July of 1983 then you would have wound up with a least a few guys getting pushes that didn't get them in real life. I watched every piece of footage I could find on El Gran Apollo before deciding to run with him though and I think he could have realistically lived up to the things I've had him doing, with the Apollo/Mascaras vs. Gino & Tully match that popped up on NWA Demand being a nice confirmation of that. The only thing I think I've had him do that he probably couldn't have actually done is cut halfway decent promos in English. But in this reality I've also had someone bilingual riding with him to help teach him English.

Now whether he manages to actually beat Saito for the Southwest Title remains to be seen but he's at least proven himself to be able to go toe to toe with the champ.

I remember you telling me about how you were going to push El Gran Apollo last July, and it looks like he's almost at the top of the mountain against all the adversity over the past 6-9 months...

He's definitely the most "unknown" guy who got a big push in the 1983 project (with Mike Masters maybe being #2) but my whole outlook on it was that if you had an entirely new set of bookers take over in July of 1983 then you would have wound up with a least a few guys getting pushes that didn't get them in real life. I watched every piece of footage I could find on El Gran Apollo before deciding to run with him though and I think he could have realistically lived up to the things I've had him doing, with the Apollo/Mascaras vs. Gino & Tully match that popped up on NWA Demand being a nice confirmation of that. The only thing I think I've had him do that he probably couldn't have actually done is cut halfway decent promos in English. But in this reality I've also had someone bilingual riding with him to help teach him English.

Now whether he manages to actually beat Saito for the Southwest Title remains to be seen but he's at least proven himself to be able to go toe to toe with the champ.

Definitely put him over, but like you say whether he wins or not, is probably another question. I'm assuming you will need a new lead babyface come your next lot of shows anyway, especially with Duggan feuding with Starr (another one of your pet projects).

Definitely put him over, but like you say whether he wins or not, is probably another question. I'm assuming you will need a new lead babyface come your next lot of shows anyway, especially with Duggan feuding with Starr (another one of your pet projects).

Ron Starr is actually a pretty darn good wrestler but I don't think I would have done much with him if this awesome picture of Great Mephisto hadn't given me the idea of having a wrestler get corrupted by Sheik Adnan with the promise of a harem. That was my plan for Ron Starr since his first appearance in Southwest.

02.jpg

As far as lead babyfaces go, my top babyface act has always been The Fabs. They are the act that in my head I've been relying on to sell tickets even though they aren't always in the last match on the cards. And Duggan can still be the top singles babyface even if he's not directly in the title hunt. The funny thing about him in Mid-South is that after JYD left he was pretty much always the top singles babyface until he left for WWF but he was very rarely wrestling for the North American Title.

Ron Starr is actually a pretty darn good wrestler but I don't think I would have done much with him if this awesome picture of Great Mephisto hadn't given me the idea of having a wrestler get corrupted by Sheik Adnan with the promise of a harem. That was my plan for Ron Starr since his first appearance in Southwest.

02.jpg

As far as lead babyfaces go, my top babyface act has always been The Fabs. They are the act that in my head I've been relying on to sell tickets even though they aren't always in the last match on the cards. And Duggan can still be the top singles babyface even if he's not directly in the title hunt. The funny thing about him in Mid-South is that after JYD left he was pretty much always the top singles babyface until he left for WWF but he was very rarely wrestling for the North American Title.

The Fabs were a draw in 1983/84, and could of been anyway in the country, draws don't need to be top of the card, Hogan is a fine example of this.

Ron Starr is a very good wrestler and I'll be booking him that way in my new fed, not so great at promos but a great hand in the ring from what I've seen...

Southwest Championship Wrestling @ San Antonio, TX - The HemisFair Arena 1/29/84

'The Canadian Wildcat' Vic Rain vs. El Bracero - Vic Rain tried to charge at Bracero with a Running Boot as soon as the bell rang but Bracero rolled under the boot. Rain tried to grab Bracero but Bracero kept using cat and mouse tactics to stay out of the larger man's reach. Vic Rain charged at Bracero again and this time Bracero monkey flipped him over. Bracero grabbed Rain's arm as he was getting up and started a rapid series of arm wrenches until Vic Rain managed to get himself into the ropes to break the hold. Rain went for a punch on Bracero as the hold was being broken up but Bracero arm dragged him over. Bracero tried to grab Rain's arm as he was getting up again but Vic Rain shoved him off and as Bracero went down he did a backwards roll to create space. As Bracero was getting back up however, vic Rain came charging in with the Running Boot and nearly took his head off! Vic Rain then covered El Bracero and got the 3 count to win the match.

Winner: Vic Rain in 6:10 after a Running Boot

The Grapplers vs. Mike Jackson & Tony Torres - The Grapplers did not receive a warm welcome in their return to the HemisFair Arena after a long abscence. The Grapplers just totally dominated the match with the team of Mike Jackson and Tony Torres unable to really mount any offense against them. After a few minutes of working over Mike Jackson, Grappler #1 tagged in his partner and then Grappler #1 held Mike Jackson in an inverted atomic drop position while Grappler #2 came off the 2nd rope and hit Mike Jackson with a clothesline and then pinned him to win the match in dominant fashion.

Winners: The Grapplers in 5:33 after Grappler #2 hit Mike Jackson with a clothesline off the middle rope

After the two teams in the previous match left the ring, Ken Lucas came out and got on the house mic. He said he'd heard that Eddie Gilbert was back in town and that meant he was probably in the arena. Ken Lucas challenged Eddie Gilbert to come down to the ring and fight him but Eddie never came out. Ken Lucas counted to 10 and declared himself winner by forfeit due to Eddie being too much of a coward to fight him when he was ready for it. Ken Lucas then got out of the ring and started walking back to the locker room when suddenly Eddie Gilbert hopped over the guard rail and attacked him from behind! Eddie Gilbert slammed Lucas' head off the guardrail and then put him in position to hit a Piledriver on the floor of the HemisFair Arena! Gilbert started to lift Ken Lucas up but Lucas fought hard to prevent himself from being lifted and then back dropped Eddie off of him! Lucas was all over Eddie as he tried to get back up, just hammering him with punches when suddenly half the locker room emptied and pulled him off. Eddie Gilbert stood up and saw Lucas struggling to get away from the wrestlers holding him back so Gilbert took one last cheap shot at Ken Lucas and then ran away. Ken Lucas wanted to give chase but he was held back by Steve Pardee, Larry Hamilton and others.

Southwest Television Title: Tiger Conway Jr. vs. Mike Masters w/Jim Holliday - Tiger Conway Jr. tried to go right after Masters at the start but Masters stuck to his usual strategy as champion and tried to stall and stay close to the ropes to make sure Tiger couldn't get to him. Tiger Conway Jr. got tired of chasing after Masters and went to the middle of the ring and signaled for a test of strength. Masters laughed at the idea of the smaller Tiger Conway being able to beat him in a test of strength and took the bait after flexing in Conway's face. The two men locked hands but instead of a test of strength, Conway pulled Masters into a monkey flip and held on to him which put Tiger Conway Jr. on top of Masters in a pinning position. Masters got his shoulder up before the count of 3 and Conway let go of one arm but only to but an arm bar on the other. Tiger Conway maintained control of the arm bar for a bit before Masters was able to get back to his feet and get into the ropes. Masters quickly ducked out of the ring after the hold was broken and went to Jim Holliday for a strategy session. Tiger Conway snuck out of the ring and came up behind Masters and Jim Holliday and smashed their heads together, much to the approval of the HemisFair crowd and then rolled Masters back into the ring. Tiger Conway Jr. started back up to the apron but Jim Holliday knocked his feet from under him and Conway fell hard on the apron and then down to the floor. Masters kept the referee's back turned while Holliday put the boots to Conway on the outside. The referee turned around and started the count on Tiger Conway but Conway was able to get back in the ring at the count of 7 only to quickly be attacked by Mike Masters. Masters picked Conway up and bodyslammed him and then dropped a big leaping elbow drop on him and went for a pin but only got a 2 count. Masters then picked Conway up and slammed him again but this time when he went for the big elbow drop, Conway rolled out of the way. The ring announcer announced only a minute left in the match as both men started back to their feet. Masters got up first and got around behind Conway and tried to put the Full Nelson on him. Conway tried hard to fight off the Full Nelson and Masters remained determined to get it locked in until Conway was finally able to drop down out of it and then kick his feet up at Masters which knocked Masters back into the corner. As Conway got back up, Masters went charging at him but Conway leap frogged him and Masters went crashing into the opposite corner and then fall backwards onto the mat. Tiger Conway Jr. quickly climbed up to the middle rope and connected with his Diving Headbutt on Mike Masters just as Masters got back to his feet! Tiger Conway Jr. started to go for the cover when suddenly the bell rang and the match was declared a time limit draw.

Result: Time Limit Draw in 10 mins

'Sheik' Ron Starr vs. Roy Lee Welch - Ron Starr came to the ring with 2 veiled women who left the ringside area after his entrance. Roy Lee Welch came out second and immediately charged the ring and attacked Ron Starr before the bell even rang. Jack Howe called for the bell to be rung to start the match with both men down on the mat fighting with each other. Ron Starr was able to get out from under Roy Lee Welch and roll out of the ring to get away but Welch was hot on his heels and went out after him. The two men started brawling at ringside and Welch slammed Starr's head off the guardrail and then rolled him back in the ring. Welch climbed up on the apron and started to come through the ropes back into the ring when Ron Starr came charging at him and hit him with a big knee lift that knocked Roy Lee Welch back through the ropes where he landed hard on the floor of the HemisFair Arena. Referee Carl Fergie started the count on Welch who was just able to get back up to the apron at the count of 8 but Starr came charging into him and knocked him back down to the floor which broke the count. When Roy Lee Welch got back up on the apron again, Ron Starr hit him with a knee to the gut and then suplexed him over the ropes and back into the ring. Starr went for a cover but Welch kicked out at 2. Starr put Welch into a chin lock and maintained control for a bit before the crowd helped will Welch back onto his feet. Welch started trying to elbow his way out of the hold but Starr pulled on Welch's tights to get him back down on the mat and kept the chin lock on him. Welch fought back to his feet again and this time managed to shove Ron Starr off into the ropes and then dropped down to let Starr go over him and as Starr came back off the other side, Welch hit him with a big drop kick that took Ron Starr off his feet. Welch tried to grab a hold of Starr's leg and put him in the Spinning Toe Hold but Starr quickly scooted himself towards the ropes and got a break. Welch tried to keep coming at Ron Starr but Starr stayed in the ropes so Jack Howe got in between them and started to move Welch back which allowed Ron Starr the chance to hit Roy Lee with a cheap shot. Starr then grabbed Welch by the hair and slammed him head first into the turnbuckle then whipped him across the ring into the other corner. Starr went running in after him with a clothesline but Welch ducked out of the way and then rolled Ron Starr up after Starr went crashing into the corner but 'Sheik' Ron Starr was able to kick out before the count of 3. Welch tried again to get Ron Starr into the Spinning Toe Hold and almost had it in when Ron Starr started kicking Welch hard in the gut with his free leg. Welch stumbled backwards doubled over and Ron Starr quickly got back to his feet and came charging at Roy Lee Welch and connected hard with a Running Knee Lift that dropped Welch hard to the mat. Starr quickly went for the cover and Jack Howe made the 3 count, declaring the 'Sheik' Ron Starr the winner of the match.

Winner: 'Sheik' Ron Starr in 11:49 after a Running Knee Lift

No Disqualification, Southwest Heavyweight Title: El Gran Apollo vs. Mr. Saito - This match took place under No DQ rules but since it was not a Street Fight or Texas Death Match, falls only counted in the ring and the referee still tried to maintain some sense of order.

Mr. Saito and El Gran Apollo went right for each other at the sound of the bell and started exchanging forearms and chops. El Gran Apollo was getting the better of the striking battle so Saito chopped him in the throat and then started choking him. Referee Carl Fergie tried to stop Saito from choking Apollo but Saito just ignored him and kept on choking him until Apollo broke out of it with some punches to Saito's nose. The two went back to exchanging strikes until Apollo knocked Saito off his feet with a forearm and then as Saito quickly got back up, Apollo followed up with a dropkick that put Saito back down. Saito then rolled out of the ring to get away but Apollo dove out through the ropes on top of him! Apollo started kicking Saito's ass on the outside, hitting him with forearms, punches and slamming Saito's head off of the apron and then the wooden steps. Apollo rolled Saito back in the ring and then climbed up to the top rope. As Saito started back to his feet, he went into his tights for something and as Apollo started to come off with the Top Rope Crossbody, Saito threw salt into his eyes! Apollo only managed to get a glancing blow with the Top Rope Crossbody and Saito was quickly back on his feet while Apollo was down on the mat clutching at his face. Saito started raining down hard chops and stomps on Apollo as he was on the mat and then put Apollo in a nerve hold. Saito kept the nerve hold on for a long while as Apollo still seemed to be struggling to regain his vision. Finally Apollo started to make his way back up off the mat and fight out of the nerve hold but Saito grabbed Apollo's hair to yank him back down. Carl Fergie argued with Saito about pulling the hair but Saito just laughed at him. Saito kept digging in with the nerve hold while Apollo got back up to his feet again and this time lurched forward and got into the ropes. Carl Fergie tried to get Saito to break the hold but Saito refused to break, arguing that it's no disqualification. Saito got a little distracted by his argument with Carl Fergie which allowed Apollo to break the grip of the nerve hold and dump Mr. Saito over the top rope! Saito landed hard on the outside and while Saito was down on the floor of the HemisFair Arena, Apollo tried to recover from the salt in his eyes and the pain of the nerve hold.

As Saito started back to his feet, Apollo climbed to the top rope and came flying down on Mr. Saito with a double axehandle to the floor. Both men stayed were down on the concrete floor for a bit but Apollo got back up first and rolled Saito back into the ring again. Apollo started climbing the top rope again but Saito got up too quickly and managed to catch Apollo as he was just getting up to the top rope and Saito slammed Apollo down off the top rope into the middle of the ring! Saito quickly tried to make a cover but Apollo kicked out at 2. Saito then started to try and put his kneeling figure four on Apollo but Apollo managed to fight him off and scramble back to his feet. Saito and Apollo then engaged in another battle of chops vs. forearms with Apollo getting the better of it once again and dropping Saito with a hard forearm. Apollo bounced off the ropes and went for a clothesline but Saito ducked under and grabbed Apollo by the waist and set him up for the Saito Suplex but Apollo squirmed and struggled and broke out of it with knees to Saito's face. Saito came charging back at Apollo only to eat a big dropkick and then another as he got back to his feet. Apollo got around behind Mr. Saito as he got back up again and hit him with a big release German suplex! Apollo then climbed up to the top rope and looked to be about to come off with the Top Rope Crossbody as Saito slowly made his way back up but suddenly Masao Ito ran down to the ring and shoved Apollo off the top rope! Saito pulled Apollo up off the mat and dropped him on his head with a big Saito Suplex and then pinned him to win the match.

Winner and STILL Southwest Heavyweight Champion: Mr. Saito in 12:56 with a Saito Suplex, following interference from Masao Ito

Southwest Team Titles: Pat Rose & Ron Sexton vs. The Fabulous Ones - The Fabulous Ones dominated the early going of the match, with Pat Rose and Ron Sexton looking like pinballs being bounced around by Stan and Steve. Finally the team of Rose & Sexton were able to gain an advantage when Sexton distracted the referee to allow Pat Rose to hit a low blow on Steve Keirn. Rose and Sexton got Steve Keirn into their corner and worked him over for a bit before Steve Keirn was able to fight his way out of the corner and make the tag to Stan Lane! All four men ended up in the ring and The Fabs whipped Rose & Sexton into each other and then Stan Lane hit a Russian Legsweep on Ron Sexton and pinned him to win the match.

Winners and STILL Southwest Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Ones in 8:18 when Stan Lane pinned Ron Sexton following a Russian Legsweep

Loser Leaves Texas Death Match inside a Steel Cage: David Von Erich vs. Tully Blanchard w/Sunshine - David came out first and just as he got to the end of the entrance way he got jumped from behind by Tully Blanchard. Tully rammed David's head into the cage a few times and then started grinding it into the mesh, turning David into a bloody mess before the match even officially started. Tully whipped David into the wooden ring steps and then dragged him up them by his hair and threw him inside the cage. Once both men got inside the cage, Carl Fergie got inside and called for the bell while Jack Howe stayed outside the ring and locked the cage door. Tully stayed focused on the cut on David's head, punching and biting at it. Tully then grabbed David by the hair and threw him into the side of the cage. As David started struggling back to his feet, Tully grabbed him and hit the Slingshot Suplex on him and pinned him to win the first fall.

Carl Fergie started the 10 count on David as Tully mouthed off to the crowd, bragging about how easy it was going to be to send David Von Erich out of Texas. A bloody David Von Erich got back to his feet at the count of 6 however and Tully immediately grabbed him by the hair and threw him into the cage again. Tully climbed up to the 2nd rope and came off with an knee drop and pinned David Von Erich to win the second fall.

Tully and Sunshine blew kisses at each other while Carl Fergie started another 10 count on David Von Erich but David got up at the count of 7 and Tully quickly went back to work on him. Tully grabbed David by the hair and started grinding his face into the mesh of the cage while Sunshine pointed and laughed at him from the outside. Tully threw David down on the mat and started trash talking him, kicking him back down every time David started to get back to his feet. Tully kicked David hard in the ribs which flipped David over onto his back and Tully then tried to pin David with one foot on his chest but David kicked out before the count of 3! Tully got enraged at David kicking out and started stomping on him but David managed to grab Tully's foot on one of the stomps and pull him off his feet. David quickly crawled on top of Tully and started pounding on him but Tully reached up and started digging his fingers into the cut on David's forehead which stopped David in his tracks and allowed Tully to then push David off of him. Tully grabbed David and started to run him into the cage again but David put his hands up and held onto the cage and blocked Tully from slamming his head against it. Tully buried a knee in David's ribs to break David's grip on the cage and then rammed David's head against the cage. David fell backwards onto the mat and Tully dropped a knee on his David's throat and covered him to win the third fall.

Tully walked around the ring shouting about how the Yellow Rose had been plucked as Carl Fergie made the 10 count but David staggered back up to his feet at the count of 8. Tully charged at David for a clothesline but David sidestepped and grabbed a hold of Tully and launched him into the cage. David fell to his knees and tried to wipe the blood out of his eyes while Tully was getting back to his feet. David and Tully got up at the same time and started exchanging punches and David looked to have Tully wobbly when Tully suddenly hit David in the stomach with a knee and as David doubled over, Tully picked David up and body slammed him and then covered him to win the fourth fall.

Tully stood over David and shouted at him to stay down as Carl Fergie started his 10 count. David started to get back to his feet after the 8 count was made and Tully immediately attacked him before he was all the way up which broke the count. Tully mounted David and just started raining punches down on him when David suddenly reached up and grabbed Tully's head with the Iron Claw! Tully used both hands to try to pry David's grip loose but couldn't do it and then suddenly Tully slammed his head down and headbutted David hard which caused David to break the Claw. Tully rolled off of David, got back to his feet and looked to drop an elbow on David but David rolled out of the way! Both men started to get back to their feet at the same time but Tully was up first and he kicked David in the face to knock him back down. Tully pulled David back up and got him in position for the Slingshot Suplex but David managed to reversed it and he suplexed Tully into the cage and Tully fell down awkwardly in between the cage and the ropes. As both men were down the fans started to wildly cheer David, sensing that David had finally gotten a chance to get back into the match. David got up just as Tully was trying to pull himself back up and David charged into Tully, slamming Tully backwards into the cage. Tully was caught between the ropes and the cage and David just kept pulling Tully forward into the ropes and letting the ropes fling Tully backwards into the cage. David then turned Tully around and started grinding Tully's face against the cage which caused Tully to get cut up and start bleeding. David grabbed Tully by the hair and ran him down the apron and into the ring post then finally pulled Tully back over the ropes and into the ring. Tully tried to beg off from David but David just kicked him in the face which sent Tully back down to the mat. As Tully got back to his feet David slapped the Iron Claw on him but Tully quickly got out of the hold by kicking David Von Erich in the groin. David went down to the mat and Tully fell on top of him and pinned him to win the fifth fall.

Tully and David both laid on the mat while Carl Fergie started the 10 count but Tully got back up at the count of 6 and backed himself into the corner and watched as David started to stir and fight his way back up. Carl Fergie counted 9 and was just about to make the 10 count when David got all the way back up to both feet. Tully went charging at David but David caught him coming in and put him in a sleeper hold! David held onto the sleeper hold until Tully started fading but then just as Tully looked to be about to go out he charged backwards into the corner, slamming David's back against the turnbuckles. David held on but Tully slammed himself backwards again and again until he finally broke free of the sleeper. David slumped down in the corner and a dazed Tully turned around and started kicking at him. Tully then pulled David out of the corner and whipped him into the ropes and went for a back body drop but David leap frogged over Tully and came back with a big high knee that took Tully down. Both men stayed down on the mat, exhausted and bleeding until they both started getting back up at the same time. The two of them staggered towards each other and started exchanging punches with neither man having much left in the tank. Tully went for a kick but David grabbed his foot and spun him around and as Tully came back around David put him in the Iron Claw! David put every bit of strength he had left into the Iron Claw and Tully tried to get out of it by kicking David in the groin again but this time David knew it was coming and blocked it! Tully started to fade as Sunshine went crazy outside the ring. Sunshine demanded that Jack Howe open the cage door and when he refused, Sunshine hit him in the head with her loaded purse and stole the key from him! Sunshine unlocked the door and started to come into the cage with her loaded purse when David turned and saw her coming in. David shoved Tully forward into her and she fell hard off the apron onto the floor. Tully landed with his head in the doorway of the cage and David grabbed the door and slammed it hard on Tully's head! David then covered Tully and pinned him to win the sixth fall.

Carl Fergie started the count of 10 as David used the ropes to hold himself up and watched Carl Fergie make the count. Tully laid completely motionless in the ring as Carl Fergie finished the 10 count and declared David Von Erich the winner of the match!

Winner: David Von Erich in 17:22 after David slammed Tully's head in the cage door

After the match a bloody David Von Erich celebrated at ringside while Sunshine cried over an unconscious Tully Blanchard. Eventually a stretcher came down to ringside and Tully had to be carried out of the arena with Sunshine crying at his side.

El Gran Apollo was screwed again, liked the addition of the vailed girls accompanying Ron Starr to the ring and the main event was epic...

Can't ever make things too easy for the babyfaces in a weekly territory.

As for Loser Leaves Texas match, I'm guessing most people would have thought the idea was to write David out before his unfortunate death. But I've been trying to write like I don't know future events so it made a lot more sense for David to win after all the shit he went through in the feud. Plus Tully had been around Southwest FOREVER and could benefit from leaving for a bit while David as a babyface was still pretty fresh and a logical contender for the Southwest Title after how he won and lost it in the same night.

With two big recent departures and a few new arrivals into the territory, decided to do a new roster update:

Southwest Heavyweight Champion: Mr. Saito
Southwest Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)
Southwest Television Champion: Mike Masters

Referees: Jack Howe & Carl Fergie
Managers: Sunshine & 'Gentleman' Jim Holliday

The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)
'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan (injured)
David Von Erich
Mr Saito
Eddie Gilbert
Ken Lucas
Vic Rain (formerly Assassin #2)
El Gran Apollo
'Sheik' Ron Starr
Roy Lee Welch
Steve Pardee
Larry Hamilton
Mike Jackson
Mike Masters
Tiny Anderson
Tony Torres
Man Mountain Link
'Diamond' Timothy Flowers
Ron Sexton
Pat Rose
Goldie Rogers
El Bracero
The Grapplers (Len Denton & Tony Anthony)
Tiger Conway Jr.
Masao Ito

TV Jobbers:
Snake Brown
Paul Peller
Jimmy Doo
Mike Fever
Tug Taylor
Ken Johnson

Recent departures: Tully Blanchard, The Assassin

Taped at The Junction in San Antonio, TX on 1/30

Southwest Championship Wrestling airing on Saturday 2/4 in local markets

-Show intro-

steverstack1_zps2225fa25.jpg

Steve Stack: Welcome to another edition of the most exciting hour in all of professional wrestling right here on Southwest Championship Wrestling! We have a lot of news to get to in the hour but I know the thing everyone wants to know right away is just who won that Loser Leaves Texas match last Sunday night at the HemisFair Arena. And I'll let him come out here now and tell you himself.

-David Von Erich comes to the interview area with a large bandage on his forehead

XSOg7ib.jpg?1

David Von Erich: I might still be showing the wounds of war but I'm showing them right here in Texas while Tully Blanchard is showing them somewhere a little further north! My doctors told me that I shouldn't wrestle this week after all the blood I lost last Sunday night inside the steel cage and for once I decided to listen to them. That Texas Death Match in the Cage was without a doubt the most brutal match I've ever been in. But I still walked out of that Cage while Tully Blanchard had to be carried out on a stretcher. This is the last time I'm going to be on the show for a few weeks as I leave to go wrestle in Japan in a few days but I just want everyone to know that I am grateful for all the support they gave me last Sunday night and throughout my whole battle with Tully Blanchard and Sunshine. And I promise you that when I get back from Japan I am going to give you all a Southwest Heavyweight Champion you won't have to be ashamed of after having to spend so much time looking at that belt around the waist of Tully Blanchard and now Mr. Saito. When I come back here in three weeks I am going to make sure that belt goes around MY waist!

-David Von Erich leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: There you have it ladies and gentlemen, David Von Erich was the man who walked out of the Cage last Sunday night victorious while Tully Blanchard left not the arena on a stretcher and not shortly after that he had to leave the entire state of Texas. Right now we've got to take a time out for our sponsors but when we come back I'm going to talk about someone making their return to the Southwest area who will be in the main event at the HemisFair Arena this Sunday night taking on Mr. Saito for the Southwest Heavyweight Title! Don't go away, we'll be right back with that big news!

-First commercial break-

Steve Stack: We're back on Southwest Championship Wrestling and before we went to break I told you that someone was headed back into the area and would be facing Mr. Saito for the Southwest Heavyweight Title this Sunday night. That man is none other than the man of a thousand masks, Mil Mascaras! We haven't seen him here in the area since he was suspended after accidentally hitting referee Carl Fergie with a chair but the last match he was involved in was against Tully Blanchard for the Southwest Title, a match that Mascaras won by disqualification. He would have received a rematch for the title but was suspended before that could take place so AWA President Stanley Blackburn decided it would only be fair that his first match back would be for the Southwest Heavyweight Title. Mil couldn't be here in The Junction with us today but he did send us this video talking about the match this Sunday night against Mr. Saito.

RTByloo.jpg?1

Mil Mascaras: I have been waiting a long time for my rematch against Tully Blanchard for the Southwest Title and now not only is Tully not the champion anymore, he's not even allowed in Texas for the next 90 days. I have never been in the ring with Mr. Saito before but I am familiar with him and I know he's a tough competitor. I also know what how he cheated my friend El Gran Apollo out of the title last Sunday night. After I take that title away from him Sunday night I am going to give Apollo a title shot where he won't have to worry about the champion being disqualified or having someone run in and attack him. Apollo and I will wrestle like men and no matter who walks out the champion between us it will be the fans who really win because they will have a champion they can be proud of.

Steve Stack: We've only seen a small glimpse of what a match between Mil Mascaras and El Gran Apollo would look like but when they did face off against each other after a battle royal a few months ago it was as clean and scientific a match I've seen in a long time. If they were to wind up wrestling for the Southwest Heavyweight Title I know the fans really would be winners and -

-Suddenly Mr. Saito and Masao Ito come out to the interview area

P9LYqnG.jpg?1McBHWbV.png?1

Mr. Saito: Hey! Why you talking about Southwest Title match with no Mr. Saito? Why you talk like I'm no the champion? You think Mil Mascaras just walk in here and take belt from me? I don't care how famous is Mil Mascaras, nobody can take my belt from me!

Steve Stack: Well at the risk of upsetting you even more, it seemed almost certain that El Gran Apollo was about to take the Southwest Title from you last Sunday night until your associate here ran down to the ring and pushed him off the top rope.

Mr. Saito: This man here to be my bodyguard! I tired of how everyone want try work against me, I can't even trust referee here! Masao Ito an honorable man, like all from Japan, he don't lie and cheat and steal like you Americans. I know everyone here hate to see a strong Japanese man be the champion because it make them know that Japan make the best wrestlers like Japan make the best cars and Japan make the best electronics. That is why I call my friend Masao Ito to come here to protect me from all who want to cheat me.

Steve Stack: If he's only here to protect you from being cheated, why is it that he ran out and attacked El Gran Apollo in a no disqualification match where it wasn't even possible for Apollo to cheat because there were no rules.

Mr. Saito: If there no rules then Saito don't cheat either! I don't need answer more questions from you! Now is time for Masao Ito to go to ring and show why I bring him here to protect me. He going to show you just how better is Japanese wrestler when he destroy fat ugly American wrestler Mike Fever.

-Mr. Saito and Masao Ito leave the interview area as Saito goes back to the locker room while Masao Ito goes down to ringside

Steve Stack: Well that is the first matchup scheduled for today so I guess we'll go ahead and send it down to the ring now where Mike Fever is waiting to take on the newest arrival to Southwest Championship Wrestling, Masao Ito.

Mike Fever vs. Masao Ito

Masao Ito attacks Mike Fever as soon as the bell sounds and just assaults him with hard chops. Masao Ito whips Mike Fever into the ropes and hits a nasty chop right to the throat of Mike Fever and then drops down on him with a big leaping headbutt. Masao Ito goes for a cover on Fever but then pulls him up after the count of 2 so he can deliver more punishment. Masao Ito pulls Fever back up to his feet and then hits a leaping kick that catches Fever right under the chin and sends him back down to the mat. Masao Ito then gets down on top of Mike Fever and starts choking him. Jack Howe tries to get Masao Ito to break and then starts counting him but Masao Ito refuses to break the choke and Jack Howe has no choice but to disqualify him!

After the match Masao Ito still refuses to break the choke on Mike Fever and suddenly Mike Jackson and Tony Torres run down to the ring to try and help out. Masao Ito attacks Jackson & Torres and takes them both down to the mat with vicious chops to the head and throat. Masao Ito finally leaves the ring but not without leaving a trail of carnage behind him.

Steve Stack: Masao Ito clearly didn't care about winning that match! All he wanted to was punish the unfortunate Mike Fever and he clearly achieved that objective as Mike Fever is in bad shape right now! But this Sunday night Masao Ito is in for a much bigger challenge than Mike Fever as he is going to have to contend with the man who he cost a chance to win the Southwest Heavyweight Title, El Gran Apollo! Right now we have to take another time out for our sponsors but don't go away because when we come back we're going to talk to the Southwest Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Ones and apparently we've also got a video taped message for The Fabs from none other than The Assassin! Don't go away we'll be right back!

-Second Commercial Break-

X4IlKZh.jpg?1

The Assassin: I'm sure everyone watching me right now on their television sets thought they would never see this mask back in the Southwest area again. And while I may not be able to be there in person due to my indefinite suspension from the AWA, that does not mean I am just going to let my unfinished business there go without being addressed. First of all let me address the man who threw away the life line that I gave him, the man who disgraced himself and me by taking off this black and yellow mask in the middle of the ring. Victor Rain I gave you the chance of a lifetime, I made you an Assassin and brought your career to heights it could never have reached on it's own. I took your perchant for violence and mayhem and harnessed it in a direction that allowed you to become one half of the Southwest Tag Team Champions. And how do you repay me? By throwing away the very gift that I gave you by throwing that mask down in the middle of the ring. Do not think for a minute that your insolence will go unpunished. But the payback I have in store for you is nothing compared to what the future holds for The Fabulous Ones. Stan Lane, Steve Keirn, you do remember that we have declared war on each other? Just because I am currently barred from wrestling in the AWA does not mean that the war is over. It just means that I have to change my tactics. I want you to know that my hatred for you is as strong as it ever was, it's like a fire in my stomach that drives my every thought. I want you to know that you have not escaped my fury and just because I can not physically put my hands on you does not mean that you are not within my reach. Fabulous Ones we are still at war and I will not rest until I have seen you pay for the disgrace that you have caused to befall the name of The Assassins. The future can't be avoided and the future of The Fabulous Ones is very dark and very painful. Even having eyes in the back of your head won't be able to save you from the fate that awaits you. One way or another you WILL feel the fire of my wrath!

k3OGnkP.jpg

Steve Stack: Well fans you just heard the comments of The Assassin who has declared that the war with The Fabulous Ones is not over. Now I'm standing with Stan Lane and Steve Keirn, gentleman what are your thoughts on the message that The Assassin has sent to you?

Steve Keirn: I don't really have any thoughts about it Steve Stack. Do you still check under your bed for monsters? Are you afraid of the boogeyman? Because that's all The Assassin is right now to me. When he was actually here we beat him and now he's barred from the AWA so what is there to worry about?

Stan Lane: We've got a lot on our minds without having to worry about idle threats from a sore loser. We've got a lot of people who are actually here in the area who want to try and take these Southwest Tag Team Titles from us. This week we defend the titles against Goldie Rogers and Timothy Flowers, The Grapplers are here and we know they want a shot at us and WE still have our sights set on the AWA World Tag Team Titles currently held by The Road Warriors. So forgive us if we don't have any time to talk about The Assassin, while he's trying to find a place to work and a new partner, we're actually here wrestling every night and defending these Southwest Tag Team Titles.

Steve Stack: It is true that there is a lot of competition in the area looking for those titles. Last week you defeated the team of Pat Rose & Ron Sexton, this week you take on Jim Holliday's 'Dream Team' of Goldie Rogers and 'Diamond' Timothy Flowers and like you said, The Grapplers have made it known they are back in the area with the goal of winning back the Southwest Tag Team Titles they once held. What does it feel like to know that you are one of the most hunted tag teams in the world, that people from around the country come here to the Southwest area just to try and defeat you?

Steve Keirn: Quite frankly it feels good Steve Stack. When everybody wants to try and take a shot at you, it must mean you are one of the best. And we think we are THE best. All we need is a match with The Road Warriors and we can prove it.

Steve Stack: Well I'm sure Stanley Blackburn is going to have to eventually grant that title match as your record speaks for itself and I can't think of a bigger tag team match in the wrestling world right now than The Fabulous Ones versus The Road Warriors. Gentleman thank you for your time and good luck this Sunday.

-The Fabulous Ones leave the interview area and Man Mountain Link comes in

DMCx4zE.png?1

Steve Stack: Now my next guest is a man who has just recently abandoned his quest for success in the tag team ranks and has decided to go back to being a singles wrestler. I know this might be a touchy subject for you, but I'd like to ask you just what caused your decision to end your partnership with your brother Tiny Anderson?

Link: It's no real secret that Tiny and I weren't exactly winning a lot of our matches together. I thought our team should work a certain way and he wanted it to be something different. Those kinds of disagreements happen between tag team partners and certainly between brothers and we couldn't find a way to make our partnership work. But that doesn't change the fact that Tiny is my brother and that I love him and if he needs my help I'm gonna be there for him.

Steve Stack: I'm glad to hear that ending your tag team with Tiny didn't impact your relationship as brothers. This Sunday night you'll be taking on another man who is fresh out of tag team competition and looking to make a name for himself as a singles wrestler, the former Assassin #2, Vic Rain. What are your thoughts about taking on a man with the kind of reputation for violence that 'The Canadian Wildcat' has?

Link: I heard about his reputation, how he got banned from wrestling in Canada because he hurt too many people and was too violent. But I don't think he did that to anyone MY size. It's a little hard to push around a Man Mountain and that's what he is going to have to get in the ring with this Sunday. I came here to beat Mike Masters and take the Television Title from him, and now that he has it back that is still my goal. When I beat Vic Rain that is going to put me back in contention for the TV title and this time I'm going to squash Mike Masters like the bug that he is and walk around with that belt on my shoulder because I don't think it's going to fit around my waist.

-Man Mountain Link leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: Well that match between Man Mountain Link and Vic Rain should be something to see as both men have a lot to gain by a victory and a loss would certainly set them back on their path to success as a singles wrestler. Right now we've got to take a break but we have something that I KNOW you are going to want to see when we come back because this week we got a video sent to us from none other than 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan! We're going to hear the first comments from him since the betrayal of Ron Starr which led to his broken arm so don't go away because you won't want to miss it!

-Third commercial break-

JjawfbU.jpg?1

Jim Duggan: I know everyone has been wanting to know how the ol' Hacksaw is doing so I wanted to send in this video. As you can see by this cast on my arm, my arm is broken and the doctors won't let me come back and wrestle until I get this cast off. But my arm is the only thing that's broken! Geek Adnan you've been yapping your mouth for months about how you were going to break my body and my spirit and you spent a lot of money to buy off Ron Starr but all you did was break my arm. And when that heals I'm going to come back and break Ron Starr and then I'm going to find you in whatever rat hole you're hiding in and break YOU! It's going to take a lot more than a broken arm to finish off Jim Duggan, all you really did was stir up a hornet's nest! Before I was content to just let you keep sending your goons after me and beating them one by one but now YOU'RE the one who is going to be hunted Adnan! And as for Ron Starr, I hope it was worth it. I am going to give you plenty of time to enjoy your little harem and whatever sand dune palace you've got over in Iraq because when I come back I'm going to hurt you far worse than how you hurt me! But before I come back, someone else wants to come and get their hands on you. I got a phone call from Florida this week from a man whose blood runs red, white and blue just like mine. He heard about how you turned your back on me and the good ol' USA and asked me if I wanted him to come in and avenge me. I told him that I didn't need anyone to fight my battles for me and that I would get my revenge as soon as I could come back, but I also told him if he wanted to come in and drop some elbows on Ron Starr's head he could be my guest. So next week Ron Starr you're going to have to fight a man who loves this country as much as I do, who wants to show that betraying this country for money will not stand. Next Sunday night, Ron Starr, you are going to have to get in the ring with 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes! And I made Dusty promise that he'd leave enough of you for me when I got back but I know he's coming with the intent to send a message about what happens when you turn on this country and he's going to write that message in your blood!

Steve Stack: Ladies and gentleman as you can see Jim Duggan may have a broken arm but certainly not a broken spirit! And what an incredible announcement he just made, next Sunday night 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes is going to be in the HemisFair Arena to take on 'Sheik' Ron Starr! Sheik Adnan al-Kaissie now officially manages all of Ron Starr's affairs and is the one who signed the contract for that match to take place and he also had something to say about 'The American Dream' coming to the Southwest area and we will hear those comments later on in the program. But right now I'd like to bring out a tag team that's just returned to the area and will be in action here on television today, former Southwest Tag Team Champions: The Grapplers!

7BD4aTq.jpg?1

Steve Stack: The last time we saw you two here in Southwest Championship Wrestling you were betrayed by your former manager Don Carson who helped The Sheepherders defeat you for the Southwest Tag Tag Titles. Why did you leave the area after that incident and what has led you back here?

Grappler #1: We left here to chase after that snake Don Carson. After he turned on us to help The Sheepherders they beat him bloody and he left Texas, never to return. We went after him and although we liked seeing him get up by The Sheepherders, we wanted our own revenge. We got it and then we started hearing all this talk about how the competition here in Southwest had gotten so much better and how there was this hot new tag team taking over the world named The Fabulous Ones. Well we don't care who they've beat in the past because they haven't beaten The Grapplers! We're back here to take back the Southwest Tag Team Titles that we never really lost, they were just stolen from us with the help of Don Carson, and we're back here to end all this talk about how The Fabulous Ones are the best tag team in wrestling.

Steve Stack: This Sunday night you take on the rising young team of Steve Pardee and Larry Hamilton and if you are victorious in that match it seems very likely that would put you in line for the next Southwest Tag Team Title shot.

Grappler #1: Steve Pardee and Larry Hamilton might have been a rising young team before we got here to the area but we're going to put a stop to their rise this Sunday night. Nobody is going to stand in our way of getting to The Fabulous Ones including those two chumps standing in the ring now. It's time for us to go show everyone why The Grapplers are soon going to be 3 time Southwest Tag Team Champions!

-The Grapplers head down to the ring

Steve Stack: Well fans you've heard it from The Grapplers, they have only one goal and that's to beat The Fabulous Ones for the Southwest Tag Team Titles. And now let's head to the ring where The Grapplers are getting ready to take on Jimmy Doo and Ken Johnson.

Jimmy Doo & Ken Johnson vs. The Grapplers

Grappler #1 attacks Ken Johnson as soon as the bell sounds and beats on him for a while before tossing him back into his corner and allowing him to take out to Jimmy Doo. Doo comes in and quickly finds himself in trouble as Grappler #1 gets a hold of his arm and starts wrenching on it and then tags in Grappler #2. Grappler #2 comes in with a big elbow on the arm of Doo and then takes over the arm bar. Grappler #2 twists on Doo's arm for a bit before tagging Grappler #1 back in and they switch off on the arm bar again. Grappler #1 picks Doo up and bodyslams him down on his own arm and then tags Grappler #2 back in. Grappler #1 holds Jimmy Doo in an inverted atomic drop position while Grappler #2 climbs to the middle rope and comes off with a big clothesline and then pins Jimmy Doo to win in a very dominant fashion.

Steve Stack: A very dominating win by The Grapplers who look even better than the last time they were here in the area. They seem destined for a collision course with The Fabulous Ones but before they can get there they are going to have to get through Steve Pardee and Larry Hamilton this Sunday night and that is no easy task. Right now we've got to take a commercial break but don't go anywhere because when we come back we're going to play the video from Sheik Adnan al-Kaissie talking about 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes coming into the area to take on Ron Starr and we will also talk to El Gran Apollo about his recent issues with Mr. Saito and now Masao Ito. Don't go away, we'll be right back!

-Fourth commercial break-

C8Wxz3j.jpg?1

Sheik Adnan: Jim Duggan you did not listen to me when I told you that there was no one in the world that you could trust. That as long as you were my enemy there would be no man that you could trust, no one that you could call a friend. And I proved that to you two weeks ago when Ron Starr attacked you and broke your arm! And believe me, I know what that feels like. It was a bitter pill to swallow to give the same man who broke my arm such riches to break yours. But the man had proven that he could get the job done and I knew that there was no one better suited for the task. And so I paid Ron Starr's price, I gave him 7 women to form a harem, I gave him oil rich lands in Iraq and a palace fit for a king. Or more fittingly, a Sheik. Now Ron Starr has risen far above his former place in the world, and all he had to do was betray his friend and his country. Now of course that made him some new enemies. Roy Lee Welch for one, but what is he anyway? What is there to fear in a man who has been rejected by his own family? He is the black sheep, the runt of his family and he will be nothing but a footnote in history when 'Sheik' Ron Starr finishes with him this Sunday night. But there is another man who is coming to Texas to battle Ron Starr, someone who is much bigger than a footnote. The 'American Dream' himself, Dusty Rhodes has signed a contract to face Ron Starr next Sunday night. And what a glorious night it will be! What better way to demonstrate that America's time has passed, that the Arab people and it's allies are going to re-take their place on the throne than to have 'The American Dream' fall to a man who turned his back on the United States to join forces with the Arab people? The American Dream is over and now it is time for America's Nightmare! I told you when I first got here that I intended to buy all the oil fields of Texas and when I do so, then my friends in the Arab world will see to it that the flow of cheap oil to the West is cut off! The wealth of the West will be drained by it's thirst for oil and finally the Middle East will regain it's former glory! This is the future, the end of the American Dream! And it all starts next Sunday night, right there in the ring the future of the world will be represented as The American Dream Dusty Rhodes falls at the hands of 'The Sheik' Ron Starr!

Steve Stack: Sheik Adnan certainly seems to be drunk on the glory of his plan to injure Jim Duggan. I'm sure Dusty Rhodes is going to have something to say about all of that when we hear from him next week right here on the program. But right now I'd like to bring out a man who represents the American Dream in his own way, a man who escaped the communist regime of Cuba to come to this country and has found incredible success in the world of wrestling, El Gran Apollo!

NQNXDEW.jpg?2

Steve Stack: Apollo over the last few weeks you've been involved in a battle with Mr. Saito in which you've seemed to have his number but yet you've been unable to take the Southwest Title away from him due to the matches ending in disqualification. Last Sunday night was supposed to be the remedy to that issue as you two competed in a match with No Disqualifications but instead it only allowed Mr. Saito to enlist the help of his new ally Masao Ito who interfered and cost you the match. Now this Sunday you've got a chance to avenge yourself against Masao Ito, what are your thoughts about facing him after seeing him in action earlier today on the program?

Apollo: I think he don't want to win this Sunday, he only want to hurt me. But I wrestle a lot of people who want hurt to hurt me here, Jose Lothario, Mr. Mexico, Cuban Assassin and now they are gone and Apollo is still here. So I don't afraid of Masao Ito and I know he don't hurt me.

Steve Stack: Mil Mascaras is going to be making his return to the area this Sunday night in a Southwest Title match against Mr. Saito. If Mil Mascaras wins the Southwest Title, would you still want to challenge for the Southwest Title knowing it meant you had to compete against your friend?

Apollo: Mil Mascaras is good friend to me, he help me a lot last year. But in wrestling you know sometime you have to wrestle your friend. I want to be the champion and Mil want to be the champion too but can only be one. So if we need wrestle each other then we can do it and after we wrestle then we still friends.

Steve Stack: Well we will see if that situation ends up coming to pass, good luck in your match this Sunday night against Masao Ito.

Apollo: Thank you Steve Stack. Y gracias a todo mis hinchas, sin ti no soy nada. Lo siento no poder ganar el campeonato pero nunca voy a dejar de luchar por ti!

-El Gran Apollo leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: Now before I bring out my next guest I'd like to make it clear that this time there will be no fighting here at the interview area. I asked Ken Lucas not to come to the Junction today because I know how volatile his situation with Eddie Gilbert is and I wanted the chance to talk to Eddie Gilbert on the program without having to worry about a fight breaking out. And so now let me welcome to the program a man who has been at the center of controversy here over the last month, Eddie Gilbert.

OGXaCVC.jpg?2

Eddie Gilbert: Steve Stack, before we get into the interview I just want to say that I am deeply sorry for the way that I treated you here on the show two weeks ago. I never meant to put my hands on you or harm you in any way and I am thankful that you have allowed me back on the program.

Steve Stack: Well I suppose I will accept your apology but I have a lot of questions for you and I'm not sure you're going to like them.

Eddie Gilbert: I know that the people want to understand why I've acted the way that I have over the past month or so but it's really hard for me to explain in the small amount of time that I have here. All I can really say is that I know people look at me like I'm the bad guy in this situation, that I've done something wrong in attacking Ken Lucas and trying to injure him with the Piledriver. But that's only because people here don't know the real Ken Lucas like I do. They only know a little bit of his history, they know about his team with Ricky Morton but they don't know the decades of history he has in the wrestling business and all the other partners that came before Ricky Morton and myself.

Steve Stack: Eddie I didn't bring you on the program to talk about the history of Ken Lucas' career, I wanted to ask you why you attacked Ricky Morton and ended his career with the Piledriver and why you've attempted to do the same to Ken Lucas over the past two weeks.

Eddie Gilbert: But its all connected Steve Stack, the present situation is formed by the history of the past. My actions towards Ken Lucas are predicated on me knowing the things he has done in the past, the way he's treated his tag team partners, the way he has discarded them and left their careers in shambles after he was done using them. And that's what he tried to do to me, he used me. He is an old man who can only be relevant by teaming up with young men like myself.

Steve Stack: It seems like you're doing everything you can to avoid giving me a simple answer as to why you've suddenly turned against Ken Lucas and started trying to injure him.

Eddie Gilbert: I can't give you a simple answer to a complicated question Steve Stack. You give me the proper amount of time next week to answer the question in full and I will do so.

Steve Stack: Well I'll keep that under consideration. Right now we're about out of time in this segment so let me just ask you one more question. This Sunday night you'll be facing Ken Lucas in singles competition, the first time you two have ever been on opposite sides of the ring against each other. Is your intention to win the match this Sunday or are you more concerned with trying to injure Ken Lucas with the Piledriver?

Eddie Gilbert: My intention is the same as it's been over the past few weeks. To protect myself against Ken Lucas, that's all I've been trying to do. Maybe you can't understand how trying to Piledrive a man on concrete floor is a defensive measure but I assure you that's what it is. And I hope next week you'll allow me the time to explain just what I mean by that.

-Eddie Gilbert leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: Well unfortunately I really don't have any better understanding of this situation than I did before that interview. But one thing I do know is that this Sunday night Ken Lucas and Eddie Gilbert are going to wrestle each other for the first time ever and I know that Ken Lucas is very eager to get Eddie Gilbert in the ring and try and get some measure of revenge for what Eddie did to Ricky Morton and what he's been trying to do to Ken Lucas. Right now we've got to take our last commercial break of the program but don't go away because when we come back we've got a Southwest Television Title match as the champion Mike Masters defends against youngster Tony Torres in our television main event! We'll be right back!

-Fifth and final commercial break-

USc9Jzd.jpg?1

Steve Stack: We're back on Southwest Championship Wrestling and with me now is -

Jim Holliday: With you now is the man who you continue to short on interview time! Why am I out here last in the short amount of time you have before the main event!? My Dream Team of Goldie Rogers and Timothy Flowers are wrestling for the Southwest Tag Team Titles this Sunday night and you didn't even schedule them for an interview! Next week I am going to be the manager of both the Television champion AND the tag team champions and I will demand that you give me the proper amount of time to say what I need to say out here!

Steve Stack: It seems like everyone has a problem with the amount of time they have on the show today.

Holliday: Fortunately my man Mike Masters is in the main event here and so I think I'll just stick around and help you do commentary on this match so I can talk about how Mike Masters is such a great television champion and how he's going to wipe that mat with Tony Torres today and then Tiger Conway Jr. this Sunday night.

Steve Stack: Words can't express how much I'm looking forward to having you with me on commentary for this next match. We need to go ahead and send it down to the ring now so we can make sure we have a full 10 minutes for this match in case it goes to the time limit.

Holliday: You really think that punk Tony Torres has a chance of lasting 10 minutes with Mike Masters!? You're crazy Steve Stack!

Tony Torres vs. Mike Masters - Southwest Television Title match

Mike Masters wants to start the match with a test of strength but the fans warn Tony Torres not to do it. Torres looks like he's about to go for the test of strength but suddenly does a quick dropkick to the knee of Mike Masters which puts Masters down to one knee and then Tony Torres grabs a headlock and starts wrenching away on it. Masters gets back up to his feet and tries to shoot Torres off into the ropes but Torres manages to keep the headlock on. Masters tries once more to shove Torres off into the ropes but Torres just pulls Masters along with him and maintains control of the headlock. Finally Masters picks Torres up and dumps him on his head with a belly to back suplex to break out of the headlock. Masters starts stomping on Torres as he's down and then goes for a cover but Torres kicks out at the count of 1! Masters is infuriated at Torres kicking out before the refeee even got to 2 and picks Torres up for a bodyslam but Torres pulls Masters into a small package and almost gets a 3 count! Masters and Torres both start back up from the mat at the same time but Masters kicks Torres in the gut and then slams his head into the turnbuckles. Masters lays in some punches in the corner on Torres and then grabs him and tosses him out of the corner with a beal. Masters pulls Torres back up and whips him into the ropes then drops his head for a back body drop but Torres vaults over him with a sunset flip that gets a 2 count. Masters gets up furious and charges at Torres with a clothesline but Torres ducks and Masters turns back around into a big dropkick! Torres hits a 2nd dropkick but misses on a 3rd as Masters pulls back out of the way. As Torres struggles back up to his feet, Masters gets around behind him and locks in the Full Nelson! Torres tries to fight out of it but eventually is forced to submit.

Steve Stack: A very valiant effort from the young Tony Torres in that match, he looks to be really improving fast since his arrival here in the Southwest area!

Holliday: What are you talking about Steve Stack!? He just got demolished by Mike Masters, the only reason that match even went that long is because I told Mike Masters to make sure I had time here on commentary to say what I needed to say! I'm going down to the ring to escort my champion back to the locker room and I'll see you next week when I come out here with The Gentleman's Club with all 3 of my men wearing championship gold!

-Jim Holliday leaves the interview area

Steve Stack: That is a possibility as this Sunday night Jim Holliday's Dream Team of Goldie Rogers and 'Diamond' Timothy Flowers will have a chance to win the Southwest Tag Team Titles as they face the champions The Fabulous Ones. But that's just one of nine of the big matches that are scheduled to take place this Sunday night at the HemisFair Arena! Be sure to be there when Mil Mascaras makes his return to the Southwest area as he takes on the Southwest Heavyweight Champion, Mr. Saito! We'll see Roy Lee Welch trying to avenge his loss last week against 'Sheik' Ron Starr! Ken Lucas will battle Eddie Gilbert in their first match against each other and the first match for both of them since the end of their partnership and the injury to Ricky Morton! We'll also see El Gran Apollo take on Masao Ito, The Grapplers take on Steve Pardee and Larry Hamilton and much more! You won't want to miss the action Sunday night at the HemisFair Arena! We're out of time for today's program but be sure to join us next week for more of the most exciting hour in all of professional wrestling, right here on Southwest Championship Wrestling!

Scheduled for Sunday, February 5th at the HemisFair Arena in San Antonio, TX

Southwest Heavyweight Title: Mil Mascaras vs. Mr. Saito

Southwest Tag Team Titles: Goldie Rogers & Timothy Flowers vs. The Fabulous Ones

Roy Lee Welch vs. 'Sheik' Ron Starr

El Gran Apollo vs. Masao Ito

Ken Lucas vs. Eddie Gilbert

Larry Hamilton & Steve Pardee vs. The Grapplers

Southwest Television Title: Tiger Conway Jr. vs. Mike Masters

Man Mountain Link vs. Vic Rain

Pat Rose & Ron Sexton vs. Tony Torres & Mike Jackson

I'm thinking I'm probably just going to end this now. I feel like the end of the Tully/David feud is a good place to quit. I had some cool stuff planned for the Eddie Gilbert and Ken Lucas feud, Duggan was going to be coming back to try and get revenge on Ron Starr and there was definitely something in the future based off The Assassin telling The Fabs they were going to feel the fire of his wrath but I'm just not that interested in keeping this going. I definitely don't feel like writing some kind of weird David tribute when I have to acknowledge his death.