Pro Wrestling Only

Saturday Night's Main Event Appreciation

The Following Contest

When Honky shoved Liz and the Mega-Powers formed, man, I seriously expected to see it on the 6 o'clock news the next day. A big deal. I was 7 and this show was just the greatest thing in the world.

During the era of quarterly PPV's and squash-match heavy tv, SNME was genuinely special.

I had no understanding of the "dark weeks for SNL" scheduling then, and was always suprised by the announcement (usually an ad during WWF Superstars "Tonight on CHCH channel 11 at 11:30...") and excited for the rest of the day. Was never a problem staying up that late... though I do recall setting the primitive VCR we had just in case I fell asleep.

I'd watch those tapes over and over.

Thoughts, memories, cynical criticisms of Sarurday Night's Main Event?

The definitive show of the Hogan era, literally and figuratively. It had such a unique style--theme episodes, colorful graphics, location shoots. The original "Obsession" opening gives me chills and I never even saw it until years later. It was rarely the wrestling equal of the Super specials and Clashes on TBS, but almost every episode is amusing to rewatch anyway. And whatever wrestling deficiencies it had, it still managed to have one of the best WWF 80s matches.

First wrestling show I'd ever watched too, except mine was the first of the two episodes on Fox, so I never saw it in it's heyday. I put the Clash of the Champions shows in a similar regard to you guys because our cable system wouldn't have WCW PPV's regularly until almost 5 years later.

I've watched several of the old-schol SNME's in the meantime. My major criticism is how much more animated Vince and Jesse were on commentary compared to the PPVs.

Nod to the original poster, as the angle with Honky teasing a guitar shot to Elizabeth prompting a Hogan save is what permanently ensnared 7 year old me as a wrestling fan. I was 6.5 for Hogan-Andre at Mania 3, and not quite there yet, but vividly remember watching this one after my parents taped it for me. One of *the* all time angles, SNME or otherwise.

I never saw a single 1980's SNME around when they happened. We got a Betamax in 1987 and my dad said he would tape them for me. Every time I asked and every time he said it "didn't work". Years later he told me could never figure out how to tape while away or when watching another show so after one try he never tried again and just lied.

However it was the clips shown on Superstars that sold to me better than Superstars itself did how awesome watching WWF was to a young boy. I did catch the Main Events and the last few on Fox.

One of my favorite moments was when Hogan took on Hercules. Not that I wanted Herc to win, I just liked seeing different guys for Hulk to conquer.

The Macho Man vs Bret match was a real eye opening experience. I always saw Bret as a tag guy until that match. I had never seen Bret take his signature bump off the apron onto the guard rail before that match. That spot really blew me away back then.

Yep, in "Live From New York," the Bobby Heenan DVD and perhaps even the SNME DVD, there are mentions of "Once A Week Productions," which was the production company Dick Ebersol created to co-produce SNME with Titan Sports. You'll notice their name in the credits. Ebersol and his writers would often script stuff for the guys to say in their promos. By the 1987/88 season, it is obvious that everything is scripted.

Even as a young fan, I noticed that when Heenan or Slick spoke, it wasn't in their "voice."

You can see guys looking off screen every once and a while at cue cards/notes or whatever.

One of the more common tropes of Ebersol's scripting was the "-heel says something - manager says something -heel and manager say something together at the same time! -laughter!"

Loved this show!

My favorite SNME memory actually wasn't a SNME memory.....

Hogan/Andre "The Rematch" was going to take place and it was all me and my friends could talk about. It happened to come on The MAIN Event on a Friday night at 8PM in prime time. I was pumped and was ready to record it but didn't have my tape set so I said I would just watch. What could POSSIBLY happen??

Hogan loses, Andre gives the belt to Ted, and I didn't record it!! But not to worry because it will replay tomorrow on SATURDAY Night's Main Event, right??

WRONG!!

2 things happened:

1) I told my friends what happened since apparently a lot of them missed the show and they didn't believe me since I had no video evidence.

2) It took me YEARS to see that match again!! I legit think it took me until college to watch that match.

That's my favorite SNME memory.

The ones I actually saw were good. LOVED the Tito/Perfect match and The Megapowers break up. Jesse made Vince eat crow during the Dibiase/Hercules match.