Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-07-26-NJPW-G1 Climax] A.J. Styles vs Kota Ibushi

Superstar Sleeze

AJ Styles vs Kota Ibushi - G-1 Climax 7/26/15

Kayfabe-wise, this is a match between the #4 and #5 wrestler on the New Japan roster. What separates AJ right now from the rest of the pack is that he is able to beat two of the big three for the IWGP Championship. However, he is more prone than the rest of the Big Three to lose to upper midcard wrestlers like Ibushi and Naito. I like that booking of AJ. He has big credible wins over Tanahashi and Okada, but he is still susceptible to being upset. Ibushi had HUGE showings against Nakamura, Styles and Tanahashi on big stages, but the big victory always eluded him until this night. Not only was this a HUGE victory for Ibushi, but I thought it was even better than the championship match against AJ.

The story of the match was Ibushi's kicks & high flying moves against AJ's ability to counter the high flying arsenal of Ibushi. Ibushi was using his kicks to set up his aerial assault, but AJ was able to counter for the majority of the beginning of the match. After the opening chain wrestling, AJ went from his usual leapfrog-dropdown-dropkick, but Ibushi had it scouted and AJ had the Penalty Kick scouted, but Ibushi did miss with his second big kick to the chest. Ibushi started off in control and even swept the leg while AJ was on the apron, which caused an amazing AJ header bump on the apron. Ibushi kicks looked to set up a springboard move, but AJ hung him up neck first on the rope and then followed up with an urnage on the railing. OW! AJ's offense is so fucking crisp right now. He hit a left handed clothesline that was just massive. He has to win Best on Offense this year. Ibushi avoids the quebrada and hits a wicked German and it is back to the kicks. AJ goes after the injured fingers. I would have liked to see more of that. AJ hits a BEAUTIFUL spingboard forearm. Ibushi blockes the Styles Clash by dumping him over the top. He wants his German from the apron, but AJ counters into a Tombstone no wait it is a FRANKENSTEINER! It did not look that good, but it was a fun sequence. Ibushi hit his Asai from the turnbuckle, a good one. He wants his Phoenix Splash, but AJ shakes the ropes. HOLLOW POINT! "OOOOOOOOOOOO SHIT!" - Japanese Announcer. Hollow Point seems to be a set up for the Springboard 450 now, which I wish would finish off some matches. Uncharacteristically, AJ overshoots and Ibushi goes for the pin, but two. They trade strikes and Peles in really entertaining fashion. BLOODY SUNDAY! But only two. AJ goes to the top again. I just dont get it. They try a super duper standing top rope frankensteiner, but does not look great. Ibushi powerbomb and then PHOENIX SPLASH! HE HIT THE PHOENIX SPLASH! 1-2-3!

Offensively, this was a fucking clinic. I loved the story of Ibushi taking it to AJ early on and never relenting. Ibushi has been maturing throughout the year and this was his crowning achievement of the year. Such a shame about the injury! These NJPW finish runs are very exciting and really entertaining in how they escalate, but they just dont have the psychology to take it to that next level. I still have Tanahashi/Ibushi as the NJPW MOTY, but this is either #2 or #3 with AJ/Tanahashi. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2015-07-26-NJPW-G1 Climax] A.J. Styles vs Kota Ibushi
  • 8 months later...

This did a good job of taking Ibushi's dynamic offense and making it look innovative without being totally contrived. I appreciated that we didn't dwell in any limb selling for him to ignore later. The escalation of the spots paid off and Ibushi using the rana to avoid danger and eventually win the match was satisfying. A great match within the G1. ****1/4