Pro Wrestling Only

Biggest Matches Left On The Table

BBscout

Rock-Brock to me has maybe biggest 'box office' potential of any match ever. Tons of mainstream appeal. I'd say would have been even bigger at 29 or 30 than it would be now, based on both of them having more recently returned from Hollywood and UFC. But now with it being in that new big ass Dallas stadium like Mayweather-Pacquio was supposed to have been with that huge 40-yard HD 4K video scoreboard or whatever it is , I think it could be just as big as it would have been a few years back. They don't even have to run it as the closer and could go with Taker-Cena on last as well as Reigns-HHH as another 'main event' match in there somewhere.

But they could easily go the other direction and do Brock-Reigns II and Rock-HHH.

If Rock-Brock doesn't happen, what else compares similarly where it was maybe possible didn't go through? Hogan vs Stallone or Austin vs Tyson?

Also what about big ones in the wrestling bubble that never went through, like Hogan-Flair at 8. Bret vs Hogan at Starrcade 98 maybe. Punk vs. Austin could have been big at 29 or 30.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the biggest, but I always wanted to see an Austin-Rock-HHH triple threat match, but they switched up that night at Survivor Series 1999 when Austin needed off and I don't think it ever happened.

Hogan-Austin and Sting-Undertaker for WWE, and Goldberg-Savage for WCW are ones I'd have personally wanted to see but were never really positioned to happen.

Goldberg vs. Flair in early 1999. Even as a face versus face, it would have been big on PPV. Instead we got an okay Nitro match in March.

In Japan, Misawa vs. Hashimoto in NOAH. They had the Z-1 feud but never met in singles.

Sakuraba vs. Tamura in their primes in either MMA (2001-2002 would have fit that) or Tamura vs. Sakuraba full length in UWFI or RINGS. The 3 short matches in UWFI are such a tease for what could have been amazing.

I'm not even that big of a Shawn Michaels fan, but three that came to mind...

Would've loved an HBK/Punk feud during his Straight Edge Soceity run. There was a ton of history for Punk to base his promos on and I have no reason to believe Shawn would've shut it down. I also think, money-wise, it may not have been a "big money" match, but like the Jericho/HBK series, I think it would've done well critically and helped anchor some otherwise blah PPVs.

HBK vs. Eddie Guerrero is another one that, in-ring wise, I would've liked to see. I heard a rumor once (post-Eddie's death) that it was a possibility for WM22, which made it an even bigger "I wish they would've done it!" thing for me.

Last and most crazy/personal, in 96', when Warrior came back to WWE, I was 12 and thought we were going to get Warrior vs. Michaels for the title at Survivor Series or the 97' Rumble. Now, this is hardly an example of money being left on the table (I'm not sure anyone else was as invested in this potential match-up as my pre-teen self), but it is a little bit fun to think about 96' WWE with the thought of "What if...The Ultimate Warrior came back, got red hot again, and stayed with the company for 12 months instead of 2?"

Michaels entire second run could have produced a lot more of my dream matches.

A little less time with HHH, and a lot less injuries, and a lot more with Punk, Mysterio (I know it happened at least twice, but a feud would have been great), Booker T, Guerrero, generally just plonked somewhere in the middle of the smackdown 6 part 2 summer of 2009 (I know, he was out injured, but still), all would have suited me nicely.

Unlikely it would have been big money, and maybe not even good, but I can't find any evidence of a Shawn Michaels-Bam Bam match from that mid-90s era either. They missed each other like ships in the night with the similarly timed turns it seems.

Edit: Didn't want to spam another post

Is this the only WWF Piper vs Macho Man match available?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30ygpl

Seems like they would have ended up in a PPV match at some point during those 8 or so years but I know they didn't.

Here's a few out of left field:

Bruno vs. Backlund

Bruno vs. Andre

Bruno vs. Pedro

Pedro vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Pedro

Hogan vs. Bruno

Hogan vs. Backlund

Arn vs. Ole

Arn vs. Tully

Bockwinkel vs. Heenan

Terry vs. Dory (81 match wasn't a feud)

DiBiase vs. Hennig

DiBiase vs. Martel

DiBiase vs. Steamboat

DiBiase vs. Arn

DiBiase vs. Tully

DiBiase vs. Rude

A lot of the above didn't happen because times were different.

I completely agree on HBK vs Punk. That could have been a fantastic program and produced really good matches. I am not a huge fan of return HBK, but he had high points and Punk would have definitely been a high point.

Sting vs Taker is an obvious one.

Austin vs Goldberg could have technically happened and if it were booked with any amount of care it would have drawn huge. The match, however, probably would have been terrible.

Brock vs Bryan could have not only been a really great match, but could have drawn money if it were done right.

Savage vs HBK and Bret as real main even programs also stand out. I think Vince left a lot of money on the table by phasing out Savage.

I am not sure any money was left on the table, but Eddie vs Danielson should have happened when Eddie was doing his redemption indy tour. Those matches are so strange to me and I think a match with Danielson would have been better than any of the ones we actually got.

Bruno vs. Backlund

Bruno vs. Andre

Bruno vs. Pedro

Pedro vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Pedro

Hogan vs. Bruno

Hogan vs. Backlund

Arn vs. Ole

Arn vs. Tully

Bockwinkel vs. Heenan

DiBiase vs. Hennig

DiBiase vs. Martel

DiBiase vs. Steamboat

DiBiase vs. Arn

DiBiase vs. Tully

DiBiase vs. Rude

Not sure if you're referring to Steamboat-DiBiase as never happening Parv, but they did meet in WWF in late '87 (remember being surprised by that reading WONs from the time) and at the untelevised KotR in 1991.

Austin vs Goldberg and Austin vs Hogan are up there.

I think if they did Brock vs Cena at Summerslam instead of so quick that it would have been big for network subs, since you can't really use the word buyrate anymore. Could have sold out a LA stadium too instead of running Staples, plus more of the fanfest axxess revenue and other events they've built Summerslam weekend up to be. It could have given them like a second Mania money wise that year.

Bruno vs. Backlund

Bruno vs. Andre

Bruno vs. Pedro

Pedro vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Pedro

Hogan vs. Bruno

Hogan vs. Backlund

Arn vs. Ole

Arn vs. Tully

Bockwinkel vs. Heenan

DiBiase vs. Hennig

DiBiase vs. Martel

DiBiase vs. Steamboat

DiBiase vs. Arn

DiBiase vs. Tully

DiBiase vs. Rude

Bruno vs Andre is a great choice.

Bruno vs Morales was the first Showdown At Shea. Not much more they could come with that matchup.

Bockwinkel vs. Heenan

As I read this I got super excited but are you seeing it the way I am with a face Bockwinkel having to run through the Heenan family to finally get 5 minutes in a cage with the Brian?

Pretty much, basically slot him into the Larry Z feud as Larry's manager.

Bruno vs Morales was the first Showdown At Shea. Not much more they could come with that matchup.

Ah, I remember about this now. Isn't that the match that goes 90 minutes or something ridiculous?

Not sure if you're referring to Steamboat-DiBiase as never happening Parv, but they did meet in WWF in late '87 (remember being surprised by that reading WONs from the time) and at the untelevised KotR in 1991.

Yeah, I know about that one. It was a holy grail match of mine for years and years and then I actually saw it om fan cam (pretty disappointing, even though it goes 10 mins). Pure phone it in stuff.

But what I'm saying is that they never worked a proper program. Might even be an interesting fantasy booking exercise. I guess it would have to be 1991, and you'd have to delay the Virgil thing a while more.

Austin vs. Tyson

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/27903-what-would-have-been-a-bigger-draw-mike-tyson/?hl=%20mike%20%20tyson

Goldberg vs Austin at Mania 19 comes to mind as both were under contract. But the reality is, as big as Goldberg was, 2003 was pretty damn far removed from that 1998 -2001 white hot period and both men have cooled off by then due to lack of exposure. It would have done good business, but wouldn't have been a record breaker. Now in some parallel universe if there was a cross promotional show in 1999 with this headlining, that's a different story. But I've always imagined the two having a massive clash of styles though, I think the match would have been rotten in execution.

Conversely, Rock vs Michaels could have theoretically happened at many points in 2003 and once in 2004. I think they would have had an excellent match as their styles would have matched nicely.

RVD / Austin happened on Smackdown in 2001 when RVD was pretty hot. Stupid they didn't pull the trigger with RVD in 2001. I know there are countless arguments for pushing / not pushing people but RVD in 2001 is one I am totally behind. Girls wanted him, guys wanted to be him, he looked like a film star for your marketing, was young, healthy... the only thing he had going against him was an inability to act. He was put in some stupid situations where you could tell he was out of his comfort zone and thus, his square peg didn't fit into their round hole. It would have been interesting to see if he would have evolved his in ring act had he been given the ball, or would he have still settled into the routines like he did too.

I always cite his TSN interview with Michael Landsberg as proof positive you could have put him on any mainstream talk show and he would have held his own.

EDIT: Sorry, took this well off topic.