Pro Wrestling Only

Biggest Matches Left On The Table

BBscout

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumbo vs Maeda. I remember there being a mention in an old observer (1988 maybe) that Jumbo was pushing Baba to work with the UWF guys.

I've never heard of this but I find it pretty intriguing. Any more info on this? Was Maeda open to working with AJ at this point? I just can't picture it.

Along those lines, we missed out on Fujiwara vs Fujinami in a singles match during the UWF vs NJ feud.

Inoki vs Maeda would be the big match from NJ vs UWF that should have happened but didn't.

Hansen vs. Flair would have been fucking awesome.

I know that where they worked makes it seem unlikely, but what the hell we did get Hansen vs. Hogan. It was such a bizarro show but it would have been neat if they could have done more. Considering Flair did have title match tours in Japan, in a sense it's surprising to me they never seem to have crossed paths.

Also, I would have been just fine with a Jumbo vs. Hogan match while we're on that theme. In a bizarro world with more to AJPW vs. WWF than the one big supershow it seems feasible.

I think one of the big things holding these matches up is, "What's the finish?" That was certainly the case with Inoki-Maeda, and it doubtless would have been with something like Bruno-Andre as well.

It's easy to book two guys together in a dream match, but the company will have to continue to make money going forward and it's not as easy to have a plan for where to go afterward.

I know that where they worked makes it seem unlikely, but what the hell we did get Hansen vs. Hogan. It was such a bizarro show but it would have been neat if they could have done more. Considering Flair did have title match tours in Japan, in a sense it's surprising to me they never seem to have crossed paths.

Also, I would have been just fine with a Jumbo vs. Hogan match while we're on that theme. In a bizarro world with more to AJPW vs. WWF than the one big supershow it seems feasible.

There's a photo of Hansen wrestling Flair in a recent Fighting Spirit mag, so it definitely happened. Suspect it was the Carolinas though.

There's a photo of Hansen wrestling Flair in a recent Fighting Spirit mag, so it definitely happened. Suspect it was the Carolinas though.

According to wrestlingdata their singles encounters happened in Georgia, including two shows at the Omni in 82 and 84 for the NWA title

According to wrestlingdata their singles encounters happened in Georgia, including two shows at the Omni in 82 and 84 for the NWA title

Would be fun to see Hansen do a gorilla press slam.

I don't know if they would have drawn much, but I think there were a lot of potentially awesome matches left behind once Vader left WCW. He could have had real solid programs with the likes of Tenta, Meng and The Giant. And who knows what could have happened with him once the NWO got in the picture.

Better than him trying to work around a dying Yokozuna, and being bitched at by Bret and Shawn.

Vader definitely should have stayed clear of the WWF, particularly when he did. Had he come around in say mid 92 right after dropping the belt to Simmons he might have had a chance, essentially taking the Yokozuna role albeit a few months early. With Hogan gone and the Kliq not yet around not as many political landmines.

He still would have had to loosen up a lot though.

Here's a few out of left field:

Bruno vs. Backlund

Bruno vs. Andre

Bruno vs. Pedro

Pedro vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Andre

Backlund vs. Pedro

Hogan vs. Bruno

Hogan vs. Backlund

Arn vs. Ole

Arn vs. Tully

Bockwinkel vs. Heenan

Terry vs. Dory (81 match wasn't a feud)

DiBiase vs. Hennig

DiBiase vs. Martel

DiBiase vs. Steamboat

DiBiase vs. Arn

DiBiase vs. Tully

DiBiase vs. Rude

A lot of the above didn't happen because times were different.

Bruno vs Andre is a great choice.

Bruno vs Morales was the first Showdown At Shea. Not much more they could come with that matchup.

The Bruno-Pedro curfew draw at Shea is actually a very, very famous match, surprised JVK didn't remember about it. It was an incredibly rare babyface vs. babyface big match for WWWF at that time (72 IIRC). I've never watched it in full, but I've been lead to believe it's very boring and tedious.....and I personally don't care for matches that long. And I like both guys and their babyface formula, but I can't imagine the two of them for over an hour being watchable

Misawa-Mutoh in 1996 since one of them wanted it. Mutoh-Takada and Takada-Hash wasn't remotely as big in that stretch, and look at the business those three did.

Misawa-Hash would have been bigger, but it wasn't talked about as being on the table at the period. When the chance came to make it (and it wasn't made), it wasn't as big given Hashimoto getting Ogawa'd up the tailpipe.

How about Nikita Koloff coming into the WWF in late 1985 a roided up monster set to destroy Hulk Hogan and taking the WWF World Title back to Mother Russia? He could have slotted into the Bundy spot and made for a much more interesting encounter with Hogan at Wrestlemania II.

If WCW would have taken Jericho more seriously with the Goldberg stuff I think they could have had a big PPV match instead of what we actually wound up with.

Or why in the hell didn't we get a better tournament at Wrestlemania IV? Without going over the entire card and rebooking would it have been so hard for them to have booked Steamboat to beat Valentine? That way, even if it was only going to be a 7-10 minute match we could have saw Savage/Steamboat in a balls out battle.

It would also have been great to see Tully Blanchard turn heel on Flair at some point and have those two work an angle. Maybe if Hurd wouldn't have screwed up Blanchard's return we could have got that down the line.