Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestle Kingdom 10

Loss

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Shibata vs Ishii was a terrible match. I can tolerate a lot of fighting spirit stuff, as Masato Tanaka and Tatsuhito Takaiwa matches are still in the realm of the japanese wrestling I love, but when you no sell pretty much everything how am I supposed to care about the match? The fact it was the third time they'd done this exact match didn't help.

I actually rewatched the top 2 matches from last year's show this weekend as well. All year long I had Nak-Ibushi as a top 3 MOTYC and absolutely nothing about it this time around was on that level. Similarly, and much moreso to my surprise, is that I found the same thing about the G1 Finals with Tanahashi vs. Nakamura. At the time I didn't think I'd seen a better match since maybe Bryan-Cena but at least far as 2015 goes it is now comfortably below Brock vs. Reigns, Bryan vs. Reigns annnnnnnnnd Tanahashi vs. Okada from Wrestle Kingdom 9.

For the first 15 minutes or so you're watching them go through the motions, which is fine when they do it because of their history, the event and what they bring to the table, but when Tanahashi hits the High Fly Flow from the Dome across the road to Korakuen and going forward, between Tanahashi's leg work, the first-ever Rainmaker kickout, Okada's perfectly timed counters and an ultimately satisfying conclusion (which along with the post-match very clearly set the stage for this year, much like Mania's 4-5), it was my favorite outing of theirs as well as my #2 MOTY.

Hope to watch the top 2 matches tomorrow and the rest of the show throughout the week.

Okada-Tanahashi was one of the worst matches I've ever watched. Maybe the worst.

I really envy your wrestling catalog of matches/shows you've seen then! Hell, did you watch all of this card? You thought that was the worst match on this card? Worse than anything WWE has done, including their Divas, or TNA or XPW? Throw away Ryback or Big Show matches on RAW or Smackdown?

lol..

Okada-Tanahashi was one of the worst matches I've ever watched. Maybe the worst.

I really envy your wrestling catalog of matches/shows you've seen then! Hell, did you watch all of this card? You thought that was the worst match on this card? Worse than anything WWE has done, including their Divas, or TNA or XPW?

lol..

Yes. I don't expect the Divas, XPW, TNA or fat guys from Virginia to be competent. Here are two guys who aren't just competent, they're excellent athletes, capable of doing great things and even showing glimpses of wrestling greatness and they just shit the bed. I can't envision anything worse than a much so frustrating because it could be good but is just so poorly and predictably structured and executed.

That doesn't even make sense.

So if guys go out & have an average match, that match is some how worse than a throwaway Kane match because you have lower expectations for Kane? Having lower expectations for him doesn't make his match any better...

That's really reaching.

You didn't like the match, cool. No one here would condemn you for it. Trying to say it was the worst match you've ever seen... I know it's the internet and all, but we don't have to be full of that much hyperbole to try to get a point across. :D

I'm having Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons flashbacks.

The "worst match ever" in terms of the wrestler's ability to do things properly trained wrestlers should know how to and value when critically evaluating other wrestlers' work more than regular fans is some backyard match from god knows when or where. I seriously doubt anyone would come to the conclusion that's what I'm talking about. Actually-that's not how I view or analyze wrestling period. I don't care if someone's sloppy or unprofessional or bumps to the side or whatever. If it works for me, it works.

Right and you could have just said this match didn't work for you. But you didn't say that, you went with the outlandish statement. You said it was one of the worst matches that you've ever watched & maybe the worst. That's a big statement on a forum full of nothing but reviews and discussions about wrestlers and matches.

There is no ultimate consensus on what a good or a bad wrestling match is. Of course when I say it's one of the worst wrestling matches I've ever seen that's according to my taste and what I value in wrestling. I don't really understand why some think the only way a match could be truly terrible is if it's lacking in execution (in the sense of bumping/hitting moves clean etc.).

Well like a few people on Twitter have mentioned, this isn't that much of a surprise when you see that NXT announced about 5 or 6 house shows in the next month. Can't fill them all up with the same talent so more needed.

The Nakamura one doesn't make much sense since he beat Styles tonight (this morning). All the others lost

I'm actually OK with that.

Bullet Club can get replaced by a returning Suzuki Gun. And even though losing AJ Styles sucks, the way he's been booked it's kinda like he did a territory loop and did everything he could (and made the most out of it).

Nakamura is the real big loss imo. But then again, that will force New Japan to give his spot to somebody. I really hope Shibata and Ishii can get a main event nod, And also, I think he kinda saw the writing on the wall of him being forever behind Okada and Tanahashi. He's not getting any younger, knows the US audience loves him and is more receptive to him than any other current puro star, and he knows for a fact that even if his WWE stint is a complete flop, he will be treated like a WAY bigger star in Japan once he comes back, and there's a real chance he has some success and ends up being treated like HUGE deal when he goes back. It's a win-win situation for him if he can avoid any big injury.

Just finished watching this.

Nak/Styles ruled. It's Nakamura in a big match on the Dome show. Do you really need more motivation to check it out? They play up on AJ's recent back problems which result in a great spot where AJ plays possum. Near enough every near fall and submission felt like it could end the match, and even as the match approached the 25 minute mark, I still didn't want it to end. A total war.

As much as I want to crap on Tana/Okada for it's dull control segments and opening moments, they kept me entertained enough with spots early in the match like the springboard dropkick knocking Tanahashi outside in brutal fashion and the crossbody over the guardrail. Once they hit the finishing stretch is when things get really great. I can even forgive some of the signature move reversal exchanges looking like a dance rather than a struggle for dominance. These guys know how to work an epic big match finishing stretch. This borrows a lot from the early 00's WWE main event style, as they end up using each others finishing move. They add enough new stuff here to make it stand out from their other battles. It's flawed, but the great stuff outweighs the bad.

Very curious what, if anything, signing the NJ crew says about Cena's future prospects. Perhaps they're looking to truly develop NXT into a second touring brand and run bigger venues than ROH. Or maybe they have a heads up about a huge hole opening up at the top of the card and got panicked about talent there. Seems unlikely that they'd slot Styles & Nak at that level on the big show from day one, but will be interesting to see the year develop.

There's some real tryhard jaded twats on here, just saying. What a show that was. Actually preferred it over WK9. Even English commentary was surprisingly tolerable.

Only disappointment for me was that I really don't see logic in Goto going over Naito.

The final 3 matches were all whoppers. Scintillating stuff. And I've also got to give great props to KUSHIDA/Omega, that would've stole the show of your standard card.