Pro Wrestling Only

Is Triple H in your top 100?

Grimmas

His insistence on looking strong at all costs, even at times to his own detriment, permeates everything he does.

Incidentally this is why I see ZERO Flair in him

Obviously I hate HHH, but let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

Flair had no problem making his opponents look strong and himself weak. But Flair had times where he didn't carry that all the way through and do the job like he should have. The best example of this was his feud w/ Luger in '88. The time was right for Luger to beat Flair and become champion. It didn't happen.

Would 1988 Flair have put over Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania like HHH did at WM 30? I think so, but I also think it's worth discussing.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His insistence on looking strong at all costs, even at times to his own detriment, permeates everything he does.

Incidentally this is why I see ZERO Flair in him

Obviously I hate HHH, but let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

Flair had no problem making his opponents look strong and himself weak. But Flair had times where he didn't carry that all the way through and do the job like he should have. The best example of this was his feud w/ Luger in '88. The time was right for Luger to beat Flair and become champion. It didn't happen.

Would 1988 Flair have put over Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania like HHH did at WM 30? I think so, but I also think it's worth discussing.

No way. 2013 Flair hated putting Daniel Bryan over because he didn't drink and party.

If not for politics few if any would get the shot at the top tier needed to be able to do GWE work though.

I would argue my basic problem with the way Dusty books Flair is that it ends up making him look weak and the face like a moron. Nobody really looks great. And that booking style carried on at times after Dusty left.

None of which is Flair's fault.

The Taka match didn't hold up at all when I rewatched it. Taka has a decent opening shine, but the crowd never buys into any of it because they're too distracted by everything going on with the APA and the McMahons outside of the ring. At one point, the APA double-teams Triple H, throws him into the ring where he gets hit by flying moves from Funaki and Taka and he still kicks out. If that segment was designed to be an instance of him getting shown up like Flair, then it failed miserably.

This!!!!

the TAKA match is not a great match. HHH takes the entire match. TAKA gets ONE offensive move the entire match. HHH overcomes Kaeintai and the APA and it did nothing to make TAKA look strong and is another reminder of why the guy is a self-serving piece of shit. Horrible match. I was talking to Dylan about this and it was overbooked garbage.

Also, I'm not knocking Triple H for being in a bunch of gimmick matches. I'm just pointing out that those are the ones that seem to stand out and it's not like he is doing anything special with them. Why doesn't he have more matches that stand out simply for being good?

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have no idea what a non-gimmicked pro wrestling match is. But, I'm a guy that at least once has tried to make the case that UWF-i and companies like it are among the most gimmicked forms of wrestling.

Sorry, this is a really weird wrestling peeve of mine. I'm probably out on my own island.

Also, I'm not knocking Triple H for being in a bunch of gimmick matches. I'm just pointing out that those are the ones that seem to stand out and it's not like he is doing anything special with them. Why doesn't he have more matches that stand out simply for being good?

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have no idea what a non-gimmicked pro wrestling match is. But, I'm a guy that at least once has tried to make the case that UWF-i and companies like it are among the most gimmicked forms of wrestling.

Sorry, this is a really weird wrestling peeve of mine. I'm probably out on my own island.

It's pretty simple. A gimmick match is a wrestling match with a gimmick added. If there is no gimmick added, then it is a non-gimmicked match. What a weird pet peeve.

Of course all wrestling is gimmicky, but that has nothing to do with such terms.

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really enjoyed him before all the knee injuries in the early 2000s. All the injuries made him less mobile. He bumped really well prior to all those injuries. Even now in his mid 40s with two bad knees he still has had some great matches. The match vs Bryan was probably my favorite of 2014. The Cactus Jack feud was amazing. Good to great matches with Foley, Austin, Rock, Taker, Benoit, Orton, Angle, Cena, and HBK.

One of the hardest decisions I'm going to face list-wise is deciding who to place higher - Hunter or Angle. They're both about the same to me: high highs but shockingly low lows and a tendency to annoy the fucking shit out of me with their bullshit ideas on how to work. Is Hunter's selfish egotism and bloat worse than Angle's selfless but equally stupid spot fetish?

At this point I have no idea. But Hunter's current bullshit, coupled with the fact that I haven't had to deal with Angle in a long time, makes me want to put Angle higher. On the other hand, there are Hunter matches I would put in my Top Whatever of all time, while I can't necessarily say the same for Angle, and that is a big tiebreaker for me as well.

One of the hardest decisions I'm going to face list-wise is deciding who to place higher - Hunter or Angle. They're both about the same to me: high highs but shockingly low lows and a tendency to annoy the fucking shit out of me with their bullshit ideas on how to work. Is Hunter's selfish egotism and bloat worse than Angle's selfless but equally stupid spot fetish?

At this point I have no idea. But Hunter's current bullshit, coupled with the fact that I haven't had to deal with Angle in a long time, makes me want to put Angle higher. On the other hand, there are Hunter matches I would put in my Top Whatever of all time, while I can't necessarily say the same for Angle, and that is a big tiebreaker for me as well.

I'm thankful that most of my hard decisions involve Dutch Mantell

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about the final ballot and what not, and it just occurred to me...if I end up being the high voter on Triple Fucking Haitch, I'm going to jump into a lake.

Just get rid of them both and replace them with a lucha or WoS worker like I would do.

I bet you'd like Clive Myers. Have you seen any Zoltan Boscik maybe? Did you watch any old Man Negro Navarro?

As much as I want to just ditch the fucker every time I turn on Raw and see his stupid face, I can't in all good conscience. I went into it earlier in this thread, but there's all those matches I just fucking love so much. Can't do it.

I just feel ridiculous about the very real possibility of me being his high voter, because I hate the stupid asshole so much of the time. I never imagined I'd end up as the board's token fucking Hunter shill, but here we are.

Clive Myers I find OK, I like his early happy go lucky babyface stuff. There's that great match vs...Steve Grey isn't it? Ambivalent on later kung fu stuff.

I can't come up with a picture of Zoltan Boscik so I might not have seen a match of his. If I have it was years ago and I don't remember it.

You're not going to get anywhere with me with old lucha maestro style guys. Can't get into it.