Pro Wrestling Only

What is the greatest *worked* moment in televised wrestling history?

Parties

Meltzer this week called Danielson's retirement the greatest moment in the history of televised wrestling. In the Meltzer megathread, there was some debate/conversation on the idea and how people felt about it in an "apples and oranges" kind of way when comparing something so genuine to the typically fictional/plotted nature of wrestling.

Take this however you will, but what in your estimation is your favorite "worked" moment in wrestling history? Is it an exceptional TV match? A phenomenal angle? A longterm storyline fulfilled? An interview? A tournament? A particular episode that perfectly encapsulates the format? Even just a single move or action? It's a broad question, but one where I'm curious about what the first things are that come to mind for people here, esp. those who've seen more territorial TV than I have.

Some things that arise immediately for me:

* Dibiase/Murdoch double-turn / Flair title match, as told over the course of a full Mid-South episode.

* The '82 Lawler-Flair TV match.

* Lawler/Dundee vs. Fuchi/Onita as maybe my all time favorite studio match from any promotion.

* Buddy Rose "Day in the life" video set to the Rocky theme.

* Criminally underrated Flair title defense against Bobby Eaton from '89 on I wanna say The Main Event?

* Various Eric Embry-Tom Pritchard promos in which Embry threatens to murder people and Pritchard does a better Roddy Piper than Roddy Piper does.

* Foley getting his title match by holding Shane hostage in the middle of the ring.

* Regal-Benoit inexplicably having the greatest WWE match ever on a random Velocity.

* Nexus destroys the ring / Cena / Justin Roberts.

* Randy Savage's therapy session.

Nikita Koloff crushing David Crockett. Dusty brawling in the locker room too.

The post Royal Rumble 91 promo.

At one point, I'm sure 95% of the people here might have answered "Benoit and Eddy standing there with the belts." It was a moment made for us that we never thought we'd receive. Never even imagined.

Another thing to consider is the double turn at WM 13, with J.R yelling "Austin passed out! He did not submit, he did not give up, but he passed out!" That image of Austin, face covered in blood, screaming in agony might be the most iconic wrestling image ever. Unlike the Austin 3:16 moment, where in retrospect you realise it was a game-changer, but at that time was basically considered just a strong promo, you sort of knew after the doublt-turn that this would be a famous moment.

Along the same lines is Hogan turning heel and fans pelting the ring with garbage. I think that is the most outraged wrestling fans have been in modern wrestling. Bischoff often says that the Turner offices were inundated with angry letters from fans.

* Foley getting his title match by holding Shane hostage in the middle of the ring.

Along that line, Bryan and "The Yes Movement" showing the Occupy Raw punks from wherever they were the week before (I think Chicago) how its done, and getting Bryan not only a match against Triple H at 'Mania, but a shot at the Main Event in 'Mania as well.

Interesting that people are going to a number of PPV moments here as I'm not sure if Meltzer consciously meant "TV" as in television, or TV as a catch-all for "filmed with the intention of airing in a broadcast."

Austin and Tyson is a good one, but it's strange to me that Vince is the best thing in it. Like it's hard for me to call it a great showdown when the two megastars get totally schooled by the elder chairman going into a blind rage.

I thought of the Concession Stand Brawl too and wondered again if it fit the criteria of "TV", but thinking about it now it certainly does as it was booked that way and intended to be shown on their studio show. The Memphis run of Fuchi and Onita is so amazing for something so quick, and should be factored into their respective GWE threads/candidacy.

In spite of how far in the hole it started--the sixth incarnation of a group that had been tarnished for the past five years, an outgrowth of a really stupid real-life dispute with an odious asshole, said asshole's appearance in the segment--the 1998 Horsemen reunion is still lightning in a bottle every time I watch it.

YOU SUCK! YOU, I HATE YOUR GUTS! ABUSE OF POWER! YOU!

The best worked moments are the ones that turn the most jaded fan into an 8 year old mark again. Mark Henry's retirement speech is near the top of the list. Austin/Tyson was mentioned earlier in the thread and I totally agree. Those are the two moments I can think about off the top of my head that really pulled me into the program and made me think it was real and not in a 'Vince Russo Shoot Names' type of way.

Four Flat Tires might be my favorite thing ever from a televised episode of wrestling. Pure brilliance in the old kafaybe days.

Also as mentioned Dibiase-Murdoch-Flair.

Flair showing up on WWF tv as mentioned.

Hogan vs Andre The Main Event. The Hebner referee angle. People forget how huge that was. Primetime on NBC on a Friday night and bought in crazy ratings.