Pro Wrestling Only

The Motor City Machine Guns

Grimmas

I was surprised they hadn't already been nominated.

I love these guys, they're such a great babyface tag team. They tick all the boxes in that they're good looking blokes who draw a female audience, they have super cool flippydo offense and double teams, they bump their asses off and eat offense and work a hot tag, and they know how to ramp up a finishing stretch.

Their match on Impact with Speed Muscle in June 2008 is one of my favourite TV matches ever, just 8 or so minutes of crazy, sprinty balls out fun. I hope everyone has wrestling matches that make them feel like that match makes me feel.

They had a similar match with the Bucks to put them over on their TNA debut, and multiple gimmick matches that were basically everything you'd expect them to be, but are no less fun for that. They also confounded expectations when they had an Empty Arena match in November 2010 which is just amazing for showing how brutal and violent two cutesy flippydo teams can be. That match is...unsettling, in a good way.

There's also the long feud with Beer Money in 2010, starting at Victory Road, then having a Best of 5 gimmick series ending in that awesome 2/3 Falls match, and a postscript match at Genesis 2011. They're all great tag matches, and they are so good at playing off moves in subsequent matches.

There are a lot of good matches over the years besides that - vs Joe/Magnus in 2012, vs Duds in 2008, vs LAX vs Rock N Rave in 2008...I even remember random TV matches with Christian and whoever that were always really good. On top of that, great matches in ROH with the Briscoes, Kings...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

Here's what funny: I think that at the time, what they were doing in the U.S. to speed up the tag team style akin to what was going on in Dragon Gate was really compelling. The problem is that it got repetitive and/or cute a few too many times to the point where they both became another team and saw the Bucks surpass them. There was a year or two where they were at least fun to watch, but I don't think it's enough.

• 2 months later...

I liked what they did with The Briscoes and Age of the Fall in ROH, it just wasnt that long of a run

You know, I always liked them in ROH and thought they were good, but it never seemed to equal the sum of the parts for me. I was so excited for them to come in and really mix it up in ROH because both had so much success there before, but MCM (if I remember correctly) were a product of TNA. It was cool to see them come in as a known commodity, with some history with the company, AND be able to have fresh matchups. Maybe I was too hyped for it, but I always just remember thinking - with the exception of a couple matches - that I thought the whole run would be a lot better.

i should probably rewatch it at some point.

• 1 year later...

ROH has a couple of their more famous matches posted.

I think ROH makes them private after awhile but, for the time being here are the links

MCMG vs Aries & Danielson - 08/01/08

MCMG vs the Briscoe Bros. - 04/28/07

Both are really great matches. Frenetic and double teams galore. If you're in the mood, they're the MCMG without the TNA constraints or sometimes lackluster opposition.

As far as the Bucks surpassing them in terms of speed/combos, this is true but, Sabin & Shelley are much better individual wrestlers and have presence in their own right. Plus they are fundamentally more sound especially Shelley.

TNA Final Resolution 2010 - 12/05/10

Motor City Machineguns vs. Generation Me (Young Bucks) - Full Metal Mayem match

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgjem4K8vqw

Not that this match shows fundamentals but, the MCMG let the Bucks do their thing without going bananas. Letting the youngsters dive and such. This is more of a one pair at a time contest and I feel Sabin & Shelley bring more charisma to it than the Nick & Matt.

What I'm getting it is that the Bucks comparison isn't a fair one. In terms of TNA's tag division at the time it seemed that way. The Dudleys, Beer Money, and then two Jr. or work rate teams. The above ROH matches sorta show that Danielson, Aries, Briscoes, were working a similar style just off TV. Sabin & Shelley were allowed to keep their style during the abysmal Booker T, Nash, Hogan TNA times...albeit opening PPVs like they were 5 years earlier.