Pro Wrestling Only

Bubble Watch

joeg

Because of college basketball season, I wanted to know who is on everybody's bubble?

Personally for me right now-

Last 4 in- Brody, CM Punk, MiSu, AJ Styles

Last 4 out- Dick Murdoch, Dutch, Slaughter, Yuki Ishikawa,

Next 4 out- Martel, HHH, Samaya, Takada

Guys I couldn't place right now that I might want to place: Joe, Ki, Styles, Saint, McManus, Dutch Mantel, Matt Hardy, Gino Hernandez, Perro Sr., Super Astro, Van Buyten, Jack Brisco (don't think I'm getting to him), Destroyer (kind of gave up there), Scorpio, Little Guido, Tajiri. I'm sure there's more. I'm not quite there with Rudge, for instance. Or Jones.

Currently these are the bottom 8 of my 100:

Davey Boy Smith 4 4 3 0 5 6 22

Bobby Heenan 5 8 0 0 4 3 20

Bobby Fulton 5 2 4 0 5 4 20

John Tenta 4 6 0 0 4 6 20

Dutch Mantell 5 3 2 0 6 3 19

Ernie Ladd 5 5 0 0 5 4 19

Jim Brunzell 6 1 3 0 3 6 19

Jimmy Valiant 3 6 1 0 6 3 19

Every new person I rate above 19 knocks one of these dudes off.

The acutal order is:

100. Valiant

99. Ladd

98. Mantell

97. Brunzell

96. Tenta

95. Heenan

94. Fulton

93. Bulldog

With a lot of guys still left to put through, it is almost certain that these 8 guys are going to fall off.

"Danger zone" after that is these six guys:

Lex Luger

Butch Reed

Jim Duggan

The Sheik

Kurt Angle

Big Show

I'd give at least one or two of those guys a shot at making the cut.

I've got the following guys battling for the final 10 places (in no order): Steve Grey, Terry Rudge, the Barbarian, James Mason, Scott Steiner, Ikuto Hidaka, Ted DiBiase, Juventud Guerrera, Batista, LA Park, Mat Hardy, Adrian Street, Mick Foley

I say this with the disclaimer that Grey and Rudge are likely to go higher, as they're only on the bubble due to my not having watched enough footage of them yet, but that's going to change in the next month. I also think Mason and Barbarian are more likely to place than the others, but the rest are all about level at the moment.

Okay, with the last update all 14 guys fell off, and some other huge casualties, which actually break my heart. Here were the last four:

Bruno Sammartino

Jake Roberts

Killer Khan

Robert Gibson

PAINS me to see Bruno go. :(

Next 4 bubble:

Steve Grey 8 2 4 6 1 6 27

Buzz Sawyer 6 4 2 6 5 3 26

Dick Slater 6 1 3 6 6 4 26

Ron Garvin 7 2 5 3 5 3 25

I may need to find a way to increase Garvin's score, but I don't know where I can find the points. +1 at most for G, and maybe +1-2 on V? Dunno, but Garvin is currently 100.

Next 5 after that:

Kerry Von Erich 4 4 4 6 5 4 27

Abdullah the Butcher 4 7 2 0 5 9 27

Chavo Guerro (Sr) 6 2 2 6 8 3 27

Randy Orton 6 0 3 8 3 7 27

Sabu 5 5 3 3 4 7 27

Considering that I have yet to rank Fujinami, Choshu, Kawada, Regal and some other pretty big names, all of these are currently in danger.

I might have to make some moves to "save" Garvin, but then again as Nick Cave once said "I don't believe in an interventionist God".

Looks like I forgot to add this one to the spreadsheet, even though he had a score already:

Kuniaki Kobayashi 8 2 5 3 2 5 25

Another one I'd like to find room for.

But with that mistake, he is 100 and Garvin is 101.

Trouble here is that Garvin already has credit for Valentine stuff in his V score, and even if that 89 match is really awesome (as it probably is), it's only buying him +1 max and I don't think 26 is gonna do it by the time I'm fully done. Could possibly extend the L score to 1989, that gives him another +1

Garvin would cap out then at 27 with the highest of the B scores. Could be enough. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had 82 that were easy picks for me and 18 spots to fill after that. 20 got the shaft.

Alexander Otsuka

Jack Brisco (Didn't get to see enough of him)

Carlos Colon (Didn't get to see enough of him)
Harley Race
Buddy Rogers (Didn't get to see enough of him)
Bruno Sammartino
Koji Kanemoto
Little Guido
Matt Hardy
Mistico
Naoki Sano
Rick Rude
Owen Hart
Sheamus
Shinsuke Nakamura
Tamon Honda
Villano IV
Wahoo McDaniel
Yoshiaki Yatsu
Yoshihiro Takayama
Interestingly enough, I don't know who was really the last one cut (either Rude or Brisco, but a lot had to do with me messing up my spreadsheet), but it was Dump Matsumoto before I found an incorrect entry in my list. Also, thinking back as I went through the list again to make sure I didn't overlook someone, it's weird to see who ended up staying on through the process and who were easy tosses (Somehow Christian was an easy toss for me, as was Kensuke Sasaki) but that was mainly because I didn't think of them as Top 100 material right away, and I don't think they had enough to make a late run when I was messing around with lucha, as four guys in particular ended up making my ballot for good in the last week. Most likely taking spots from Rude, Brisco, Takayama and Race.
Mistico sticking around for as long as he did was a mystery to me, but his peak run was a vivid memoryand got me back into lucha. Same with Villano IV, as the longer it goes past, the Panther apuestas match looks like an all-time great match with an absolutely killer stretch run, but he didn't have enough for me like III did. Honda was extremely enjoyable, but not enough, and Sheamus, Hardy and Guido were all right there in the run for sneaking on the bottom of my list just because their work was so tight, but the lucha guys really started breaking up the ability to get guys like them on the list. Now I actually have to rank THIS 100, which will be a chore.
The tag rankings, where I got to my Top 25 pretty easily, took way less time. Final cuts there were The Shield, The Freebirds, Cody & Goldust, The Jumping Bomb Angels, London & Kendrick and Jumbo & Taue, with The Shield and The Freebirds the closest to making it.

These 40 are battling for my final 20 spots.

Dick Murdoch Christian AJ Styles Jerry Blackwell Blue Panther Rick Rude Chavo Guerrero Sr. Necro Butcher Chris Hero Bob Backlund Shinjiro Ohtani Dutch Mantell TAKA Michinoku Atlantis Tracy Smothers Brian Pillman Killer Khan Low Ki Super Porky Butch Reed Cesaro Curt Hennig El Samurai Jay Briscoe Jim Duggan Kerry Von Erich Koji Kanemoto Lex Luger Mark Henry Mascarita Sagrada Mick Foley Minoru Suzuki Perro Aguayo Jr. Sabu Sami Zayn Sangre Chicana Shinobu Kandori Super Delphin Super Dragon Villano III

Not really Bubble again, but guys who I just didn't have enough time to do a last lap with. The ones that I just didn't feel confident enough to place. Someone like Jack Brisco could have been, I don't know, 40 on the weighted scale of footage, but I just didn't feel like I had enough of a grasp of him.

Villano III, Keith Haward, Van Buyten, Leo Burke, Espanto, Jr., Gino Hernandez, Jerry Estrada, Little Guido, Super Astro, Alan Sargent, Ron Starr, Jack Brisco.

I like a lot of those workers but only really Villano and Brisco have pressing claims for a top 100.

Villano III was on there until the last second, when I was entering my list, and I finally decided that I couldn't justify him if pressed. He was more or less the only person I felt like that about. He was on based on glimpses I'd seen and rep. No one else on my list was like that. I just couldn't do it.

My list is probably going to give you an aneurysm, OJ. Sorry.

I like a lot of those workers but only really Villano and Brisco have pressing claims for a top 100.

Villano III was on there until the last second, when I was entering my list, and I finally decided that I couldn't justify him if pressed. He was more or less the only person I felt like that about. He was on based on glimpses I'd seen and rep. No one else on my list was like that. I just couldn't do it.

My list is probably going to give you an aneurysm, OJ. Sorry.

Villano wouldn't have been on mine, either. I just think he's a legitimate candidate.