Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #59: Interview with Kal Rudman

That was very cool. I can't believe you guys didn't laugh at his half-wit joke. I just about spat out my tea listening to that line this morning. I'll ascribe that to nerves. Too bad the whole thing didn't make tape, but kudos to you for tracking him down and getting a fun little interview out of him. Also, nice save on catching Buddy Rogers as the wrestler from Camden. I suppose it's like being on Jeopardy (or Brainbuster). These nuggets of trivia are easier to remember when you're not on the spot!

I really wish we could have had the first half of this cos Kal just fucking owned Johnny and then when I came in, he owned me too. All I asked him was why he transitioned from the booth to being the interviewer in 1982 and his response was "In typical British fashion ... Let me tell you, I've been broadcasting since the 1950s! So why don't you shut your fat mouth!"

He also told us a story about Moolah chasing him around the ring because he'd called her age out on commentary that basically had us on the floor. I also asked him a question about Gorilla Monsoon and he went on this whole spiel about how the English have the worst pronunciation and speak the worst English anywhere.

His affections are also clearly for the Backlund era. We asked him pretty open questions, and he took it to Backlund rather than Hogan, which I thought was interesting.

He also told us that him and Dick were told nothing by the office and just made it up as they went along. Which is what we'd always thought.

And there was a bit where he burst into giving us a bit of the sort of commentary he used to do. When I saw it hadn't taped, I think I lost my own body weight in sweat.

I really wish we could have had the first half of this cos Kal just fucking owned Johnny and then when I came in, he owned me too. All I asked him was why he transitioned from the booth to being the interviewer in 1982 and his response was "In typical British fashion ... Let me tell you, I've been broadcasting since the 1950s! So why don't you shut your fat mouth!"

He also told us a story about Moolah chasing him around the ring because he'd called her age out on commentary that basically had us on the floor. I also asked him a question about Gorilla Monsoon and he went on this whole spiel about how the English have the worst pronunciation and speak the worst English anywhere.

His affections are also clearly for the Backlund era. We asked him pretty open questions, and he took it to Backlund rather than Hogan, which I thought was interesting.

He also told us that him and Dick were told nothing by the office and just made it up as they went along. Which is what we'd always thought.

And there was a bit where he burst into giving us a bit of the sort of commentary he used to do. When I saw it hadn't taped, I think I lost my own body weight in sweat.

That sounds tremendous. I'll take what I can get here though. This one's a big win, guys.