• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

551 (tie) - Ricky Fuyuki
2006 Ranking: unranked
# of Ballots: 1
High Vote: 98 (Dr. Ackermann)

That's a surprise that he only got 1 vote. We discussed him in the honrable mentions on WTBBP and he was someone who only just missed out for me.

528 - Mr. Fuji
# of Ballots: 2
Average Vote: 95.50
High Vote: 92
Low Vote: 99
558 (tie) - Tor Kamata
# of Ballots: 1
High Vote: 100
LOL. Who made this vote? Titans 4 Life!

Surprised I'm the only one that voted for Fuyuki. He was a last minute addition to my ballot but I thought for sure there were people higher on him than I was.

I love the guy. Thought he was better than Kawada in Footloose and right there with the top guys in AJPW at end end of the 80s. I never got around to tail end FMW which is the only reason I didn't rank him. He's probably the one guy in this first run where I feel like he was really slept on and deserved better. But I didn't have him on my ballot, so it's hard to bitch.

Really happy Hamrick and Whipwreck got votes. It hurt to leave them off. Tempers was my 100 at my point.

We don't have to put this on Grimmas, but I do like the idea of trying to figure out who our "perfect match" is after this is over.

Mine would be Perro Aguayo vs. Jerry Lawler sometime between 83-84.

The only real "disappointment" if you could call it that, would be Cavernario getting a vote but not Hechicero, might have tried to swap him out as my #100 "vanity pick" type of guy since I'm pretty sure Ultimo got more than 1 vote. :lol: Obviously there are some "huh?" picks but that's the beauty of the bottom of the list/honorables, at least we had fun.

Surprised I was the only one who voted for Faraon. He had good stuff sprinkled throughout the 80s and some great singles matches in the early 90s, enough for bottom 10 placement for me.

I think the only ones that really reached a point of consideration for me that have been listed thus far, being in the mix loosely would be Fuyuki, Faroan & Gran Apache, and Faroan would probably be my highest ranking of the 3. Good pick getting him in there.

Surprised I'm the only one that voted for Fuyuki. He was a last minute addition to my ballot but I thought for sure there were people higher on him than I was.

I love the guy. Thought he was better than Kawada in Footloose and right there with the top guys in AJPW at end end of the 80s. I never got around to tail end FMW which is the only reason I didn't rank him. He's probably the one guy in this first run where I feel like he was really slept on and deserved better. But I didn't have him on my ballot, so it's hard to bitch.

Really happy Hamrick and Whipwreck got votes. It hurt to leave them off. Tempers was my 100 at my point.

Agreed on Fuyuki being better than Kawada at the time, I think he was highly underrated during that era and played a great part in giving Kawada a good spot to be in in the company A. While the promotion was going through a significant turning point, and B. while he was still getting himself together in the ring so to speak. Fuyuki in late in FMW was very charismatic despite slowing down a fair amount. He was in consideration for me but he's no doubt a worthy vote getter.

We don't have to put this on Grimmas, but I do like the idea of trying to figure out who our "perfect match" is after this is over.

I thought Loss meant if the GWE list were a dating database, which other wrestling nerd would be your date based on voting preferences.

Substantial drops ten years later for Faroan and Apache. In the case of Faroan, I think a number of people were exposed to the bloody Pirata Morgan match and some of his other stuff around that time.

I may have voted for Faraon back then for this reason. This time around, I didn't vote for workers I haven't seen more substantial body of work. So I didn't vote for Destroyer either this time.

Ric Flair vs. Chigusa Nagayo in 1986. How's that for an intergender match.

Once the entire list is out, I was thinking we could probably calculate -- for lack of a better term -- our "eccentricity" rating.

An eccentric pick is when you were the only voter for a guy, the more people voting for that guy, the less eccentric he becomes as a pick. I was trying to think over who might be my most eccentric pick. Maybe Rick Steiner?

We haven't even got to the ranked list, and I'm already the high vote on Lanny Poffo and Bobby Fulton. And no one else voted for Fulton? Did anyone else consider him?

Fulton was very good in the early days of Smoky Mountain teaming with Jackie in the lesser version of The Fantastics, and whilst not something to take into consideration for this, was a pretty great promo too.

Chris Hamrick has just started to do enhancement work in my Smoky Mountain viewing and his bumps, be it seemingly almost breaking his neck with a head first fall over the top rope to the floor against Bruiser Bedlam, or missing the highest leg drop this side of Bull Nakano off the cage against Tracey Smothers, are the highlight of his squash matches.

We haven't even got to the ranked list, and I'm already the high vote on Lanny Poffo and Bobby Fulton. And no one else voted for Fulton? Did anyone else consider him?

Yeah, I considered Fulton. He was on my 150 name shortlist. ... By the way, so was Chicky Starr, and I'm another who started checking out Puerto Rico thanks to El Boricua and the others on the podcast. So thanks for that. I didn't quite have the time to go really deep on that area and give them a fair chance of ranking. But I'll be seeking out a lot more Puerto Rico and that's something at least :-) Maybe it'll show in 2026 ;-)

Demus, Fuyuki and Pierroth were all on my list in the lower reaches at one point, but I wound up dropping them a ways back. Demus probably came closest to making it since I wanted to rep the minis, but it wasn't to be.

I meant our "perfect match" in terms of the voter on the board who most closely aligns with our own views

I meant our "perfect match" in terms of the voter on the board who most closely aligns with our own views

Someone should develop a script that can run on OKCupid to this end.

"Hi, I noticed you were also the high vote on Mr Fuji, can I buy you a drink sometime?"

Cool to see that you voted for Yumi Fukawa, El-P. Had I seen anything outside of her great match against Mariko Yoshida in ARSION, I might have done the same. It did feel like that match was more than just a great match -- it represented a turning point in the company in a way because the fans were so hot for it, and I don't think they really had been hot for that style quite yet before that match happened.