Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-03-14-WWC] Carlos Colon vs Stan Hansen (No DQ, Cage)

Loss

This was flirting with Full Five status for me until that awful finish. It really did feel like the culmination of a rivalry that showed a true sense of progression. Hansen guzzled Colon in the first couple of matches just like he always did everyone. The last two matches showed Colon fighting back and here, it was clear he had Hansen's number. The match never would have worked as well as it did without allowing Hansen to be Hansen early in the feud, because his perilous state as they moved from one match to the next became increasingly surreal. All of the extracurricular brawling around the ring didn't bother me, mainly because of what I'd label an iconic visual in wrestling history when the camera panned back to see the overjoyed reactions of fans in the stands. They were working toward the King of All Blowoff Cage Matches, then when Colon went outside, I was kind of in awe of him as a babyface, because he was taking the fight to the bad guys and looked incredible doing it. Unfortunately, a cage match does imply that a finish like that can't happen, and it did anyway, so the feud lacking any clean finishes does hurt it some in my eyes in terms of all-time rivalry status. But as a series of matches, it's only barely beneath that, and this is a near-miss where I really wish I could go all the way. ****3/4

Man, I will defend the finish of this match forever. I fucking love it. After however many months of a blood feud with Stan Hansen, the finish to the blow off cage match is Colon walking out to join the big brawl and winning accidentally.

I don't care if it doesn't fit the feud, it's the funniest, goofiest ass fucking pro wrestling thing ever. A five gazillion star finish.

Also, phenomenal match.

Awesome to see the cage match get the love. I thought this was far & away the best in the series and loved the entire look of the show as well. I also had no problem with the finish but can definitely understand why it might not fit for all. Curious where you go next on PR, as from the little I've seen its very hit and miss, but at least always different given what I'm used to. Definitely some craziness there though.

Some background context:

To ensure that neither man can run (after Hansen made his escape int he previous match) or that anyone interferes (with Chicky involved it's a likely possibility), Colon and Hansen will face off in a cage match. First one out of the cage wins, but Colon is not looking to win, he's looking to finish Hansen off once and for all.

When you watch the match, keep a look out for the number of times Hansen tries to escape the cage vs. the number of time Carlos tries to escape the cage. It becomes clear what each man's intention is during the match.

At the end of the match, when Colon has Hansen i the figure four and is showing no signs of letting go, the rudos try to interfere but El Ejercito de la Justicia is there to cut them off. Colon exits the cage for the win and joins the fight outside. The rudos leave Invader a bloody mess on the floor and he is helped out by his comrades. Hansen, ever defiant to the last, tosses a table before hobbling off to the locker room. Carlos grabs the mic and challenges Chicky Starr's Sports Club to a match with El Ejercito de la Justicia. Commissioner Castillo promises that it can't continue like this and that it will end in the ring..

• 1 year later...

Watched the YouTube video of the full feud today. For some reason I thought the bullrope match was the most acclaimed one and I had that at ****1/2 so wasn't expecting this to be so great.

My God what a match, in some aspects I think it's the best I've ever seen (I've watched it twice now). My favourite thing about it is Hansen's perfect character work, he's usually this big bully but now he realises he's facing off with someone who can more than stick up for himself and he doesn't like it at all! His heel selling is incredible, the shaking in pain and fear and desperation to just get the hell out of here. He's like a terrified schoolboy, but after all nasty things he's done in Puerto Rico lately it's wholly deserved.

I loved the finish. I know it's hardly a conventional finish but I thought it was creative and fit Colon's character well that he'd rush out to save his mates and didn't seem to even be deliberately winning the match. I think all five star matches need to have a distinct, memorable finish so this just added to it for me.

• GSR changed the title to [1987-03-14-WWC] Carlos Colon vs Stan Hansen (No DQ, Cage)
  • 2 years later...

If you've seen any of the Colon vs Hansen matches before, you know what you are getting: a firey bloodbath with some of the craziest fans you will ever see!  This is escape-only and it reminded me a lot of the Slaughter/Backlund cage match from 1981 in that they both feature an ass-kicking babyface and a cowardly heel who just wants to escape the cage. This even features double ball-shots, with Hansen cutting off Colon's shine with a well-placed low blow. Later in the match, Colon returns the favour. One thing that I loved about Hansen's run in WWC is how he is able to portray a rough Texan bulldozer whilst also being a coward when he needs to be. Once Colon has Hansen beat down, the heel locker room pours out and tries to stop Colon from escaping. The faces come out to help Colon and this results in a massive brawl. The crowd came UNGLUED during this and it made for a hell of a spectacle. ★★★★¾