Pro Wrestling Only

Parejas Increibles Greatest Wrestler Ever Special - Part 2

http://placetobenation.com/parejas-increibles-greatest-wrestler-ever-special-part-2/

In the second episode of the Parejas Increibles Podcast, Matt and Stacey (Jimmy Redman) sprint through 84-71 of their Greatest Wrestlers Ever lists and dive deep into 70-60.

EDIT: Double trouble!

Part 3: http://placetobenation.com/parejas-increibles-greatest-wrestler-ever-special-part-3/

Join Stacey and Matt on for the third episode of the Parejas Increibles podcast, as they fight extreme time zone differences and general life responsibilities to work through numbers 59-45 of their Greatest Wrestler Ever list.

Release the hounds, Parv!

On this episode, I enjoyed the selections. Its interesting to hear the blind spots but between two of you youve seen quite a bit. Im sure it was frustrating to have to record multiple times but kudos for putting out an enjoyable episode

I'm really liking this podcast with Matt & Stacey they make a good podcast team. I'm really interested in Stacey's list so far as she is somewhat WWE heavy which I feel is most like my list. She has some people on her list that I haven't even heard anyone talk about on their GWE podcasts. Really interested to see how the rest of her list goes.

I'm about half way through the second episode and got name dropped so I thought I'd chime in.

Firstly, I loved everything Jimmy said about Fujiwara. I agree with everything she said about the way he move around the ring, his defense, mannerisms, sight gags and goofy headbutts. I love everything about Fujiwara. I love the fact he's a better wrestler than everybody else. I love that he drinks harder than anybody else. And I love that he swears in English during his fights. He would have made my top 10 and vied for No.1.

It warms the cockles of my heart to hear people finally praise Pat Roach. The thing about Roach is that no matter how angry he gets in the ring when he picks a mic he's this incredibly articulate English gentleman who'll deliver the sincerest, most softly spoken promos you'll ever hear. Total juxtaposition to his angry "bear with a sore head" ring style.

Pirata Morgan doesn't get enough credit for being a true all-rounder. There was a period in the late 80s where he could do it all. I think that's something that hasn't been conveyed well by lucha fans and instead he's just known as an apuesta guy or a brawler. He could work any style in his prime and was a truly dynamic guy. He seems to get lost in the shuffle a bit because he doesn't have the go-to matches of a Chicana or a Satanico, but he was supremely talented.

Finally, Myers. What people probably don't realise is when I think of early Myers I think of him as a West Indian. The West Indies was (and still is) part of the British Commonwealth and during the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s they produced a number of exceptionally talented cricketers. In fact, during the period where we have the most WoS footage (1974-85) the West Indies was the best cricket team in the world. Joint Promotions had a large contingent of workers they billed as being from the Indies even if most of them were born in England and had never been there. There was Myers, Caswell Martin, Bond, Kincaid, Lenny Hurst, Kid Chocolate, Jamaica Kid, Jim Moser, and probably others I'm forgetting. It's impossible to watch those guys and not think of the great West Indian cricket team. And that West Indian cricket team was full of the coolest motherfuckers you will ever see in sports. When you think of West Indian cricket, you think of Viv Richards. And when I think of early Myers, I think of a guy who must be like Viv Richards.

120564.jpg

Myers actually wasn't anywhere near as cool as Viv since he wasn't from the Windies and didn't have that cool Caribbean accent and shit, but that's the parallel I made in my head. I don't know why he adopted the Iron Fist gimmick. It had something to do with the Bruce Lee/Kung Fu boom in the late 70s and the fact that he was an arm wrestling champion. Some of his stuff from that period is flashy and exciting. A lot of it is downright disappointing. He still has great matches with Grey, but everybody had great matches with Grey. He still has moments of great selling and he had tremendous, tremendous upper body strength, but he goes from being a slick ass grappler to a guy who changes his wrestling stance to a stand-up fighter essentially and that's not cool. I mean it's cool in Japan but not in UK halls. And I don't like the pants, the shoes or the headband. I thought he was cooler in trunks. I can understand why people think he's still a good worker in the 80s because he is a good worker in the 80s, but contrary to what Matt said, Joint Promotions was a place where no-one moved with the times and he could have easily kept being plain old Clive Myers and no-one would have blinked. When promoters like Orig Williams started repacking guys it sucked. Aside from Paul Lincoln Promotions in the 60s, repackaging guys isn't something UK promoters did well. But he probably spent more of his career as Ironfist than in a regular pair of trunks so it's something that can't be helped.

As always, the background is appreciated OJ, and I completely get the frustration that Myers had been providing something that really appealed to you and he went away from that, when he didn't even need to. In some ways though, the fact that he adapted with the times, even and especially when he didn't have to, and in a way that the crowd DID respond to, and in a way that at least, I feel, he used to continue to create compelling and different feeling matches, ones that still speak to me even if they came off as disappointing to you, well, that's all the more impressive.

A few things I should have added -- my opinion on WoS workers has changed a lot over the years. I've done backflips on guys and 180s. It's possible that I could be higher on Iron Fist in the years to come. There's a bunch of guys I softened on over the years and a few guys whom I hated at first that I eventually began to enjoy. The difference between those guys and Myers is that they didn't suffer the same burden of expectation. I expected them to suck and they surprised me. With Myers, I expect every match he has to be good, and all of his matches against top guys to be great, because he was my gateway guy in WoS (v. Grey) and I really do think highly of him. And even w/ the Iron Fist gimmick, I think a few of his matches w/ Grey are legit #1 candidates on the never-to-happen DVDVR Euro set. I think he had a really great match with Haward from the 80s as well. Plus the tags with Marty Jones against Finlay and Murphy that I don't think are available online but are revolutionary in terms of British tag wrestling at the time.

Oh, and Skull Murphy wasn't a JTTS. He got a strong singles and tag push after everyone bailed to All-Star. He won quite a few of those rinky-dink tournaments they had. Murphy is actually a guy I grew to love. I hated him at first now I love him. Wish we had footage of his dad as he seems like a chip off the old block.

And this is meant to be helpful (not snarky) since everyone seems to be struggling with it, but when you're pronouncing Hokuto it's closer to Hok-to than Ho-ku-to. And Joshi is more like josh-she than Joe-she. Mr. Saito is also closer to sigh-toe than sigh-e-toe.

No I appreciate the pronunciation help. The only time I've heard some of these names spoken aloud is their ring intros, if I'm lucky. Sometimes I feel like resorting to that and just shouting "HOKUTOOOOOO AAAAKIIIIIRAAAAAAAA" for everyone except it would come off as grossly insensitive.

I feel like I know how to pronounce them in Japanese but not English, if that makes sense.

And cheers for all the info as well.

Also, OJ, you are the best, total pioneer, but I love the fact that you think I'm going to be able to pronounce anything. Like, for Hokuto, my brain freezes and I suddenly think to myself "oh crap, is it Hokuto or Hokotu!" and I know the answer, but it's some kind of radio block or something. I might tell the embarrassing Misawa pronunciation story when Stacey gets to him.

An excellent notion.

Haven't got that far, but I agree that they are a great combo. And Stacey's giving Will a run for his money in the f-bomb department!

Ha I was really bad with that in #2.

How it goes is that the first ep I was super nervous about being recorded, I'm not a great public speaker and was trying really hard to enunciate and talk properly. Not to mention I'd never spoken to Matt before in my life, nor did I get particularly riled up about anyone in my 90s.

With #2, we already had the first one and two really long attempts that didn't get recorded, so by the time we got to this particular chat we'd had hours of conversation and I was a lot more comfortable talking (as well as a little impatient to finally get it done) so you hear my normal speaking patterns come out and I'm like, you know, like sort of, talking kind of like fucking this, because like, you know, I mean, this is basically fucking how I like, fucking talk, you know. Parv said I sounded posh the other day but I really am quite depressingly inelegant out loud.

Dave Meltzer and I could have a whole conversation using nothing but umm, ahh and you know.