Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ. Yatsu already??? Apparently I dramatically overrated his support. Bossman's pic is what he did after hearing he came in after Yatsu.

Scott Steiner, Sting, Scott Hall and Triple H are all going to finish above Yatsu.

Haha kill me now . I voted for 2 of those scrubs near the bottom of my list for no good reason. Should've just submitted 50 names. No one part of the gauntlet, the AJ classic tags and countless other tags should be this low.

"Tanaka is better than Misawa." Terry Funk.

I had him at #64.

Heh, I had him at the same spot, though I imagine he will do worse next time I do this since I don't really care for him in most matches now (tags specifically). He has good offence but often relies on formulas and shtick and it is shtick I am souring on and I don't expend that trend to change. If anything the no-selling Tanaka is my favourite Tanaka (I'm thinking more him facing Kawada than him vs. Awesome) because that's when I feel he has the most personality and watching him work matches like that is absolutely fascinating to me. I really do love him in that role and he has a great resume which earned him a solid ranking for me. But I could easily see ranking someone like Takeshi Ono over him once I watch all the stuff I should've and figure out how to value what Tanaka's done with my taste changing.

He was on my list but boy do I ever want to hear Beast's rationale.

I have a feeling I'm on such a different wavelength than most of you that my explanation won't mean much, but...

When I made my list I had a hard time separating who I "liked to watch" and who I "thought was the best". It's not like baseball where there are pure stats to go off when saying this guy hit more homers than this guy but did so during a period where the pitching was worse and etc...

So even if I look at someone like Flair (who I ranked just below Boss) and know that he's regarded as one of the best and brings a lot to the table, if I'd rather watch a Bossman match, than Bossman is "better".I can't step outside myself and go "Well Flair is liked more by people that have watched a lot more than me so he is a greater wrestler". Again, it's one of the reasons I didn't feel comfortable ranking Japanese guys despite watching hundreds of matches from those promotions. I wouldn't know where to rank Kobashi or Misawa without being completely influenced by what others think of them. And watching that stuff is like eating my vegetables. I do it because I know the classics are good to have watched, but I don't typically like them as much as appreciate them.

He was super effective as both a face and a heel. Even though he was already Big Bubba in WCW when I started watching (mid-90s), I knew he had been Big Bossman in WWF and was SHOCKED to eventually find out he started out as a heel before that early ‘90s run. And that turn angle with Dibiase is a high point of character development for that era. Up there with the Savage/Hogan/Liz turn.

His bumping was fantastic, not just as a big man, but as a wrestler. And for a guy with his physique, he was astounding in getting the most he could out of his character, a master of facial and body expressions. I’d rather watch his reactions during his matches than most wrestlers’ actions.

I'd rather watch him in anything, be it a 2 minute squash or 25 minute slog than every other wrestler except the 9 above him on my list.

All the guys I've been the high vote on so far (Ouillet, Cabana, Jacques, Steiner, Steen, and Bossman) are all guys I'd drop almost anything to watch a highly pimped match of.

I have a feeling I'm on such a different wavelength than most of you that my explanation won't mean much, but...

When I made my list I had a hard time separating who I "liked to watch" and who I "thought was the best". It's not like baseball where there are pure stats to go off when saying this guy hit more homers than this guy but did so during a period where the pitching was worse and etc...

So even if I look at someone like Flair (who I ranked just below Boss) and know that he's regarded as one of the best and brings a lot to the table, if I'd rather watch a Bossman match, than Bossman is "better".I can't step outside myself and go "Well Flair is liked more by people that have watched a lot more than me so he is a greater wrestler". Again, it's one of the reasons I didn't feel comfortable ranking Japanese guys despite watching hundreds of matches from those promotions. I wouldn't know where to rank Kobashi or Misawa without being completely influenced by what others think of them. And watching that stuff is like eating my vegetables. I do it because I know the classics are good to have watched, but I don't typically like them as much as appreciate them.

He was super effective as both a face and a heel. Even though he was already Big Bubba in WCW when I started watching (mid-90s), I knew he had been Big Bossman in WWF and was SHOCKED to eventually find out he started out as a heel before that early 90s run. And that turn angle with Dibiase is a high point of character development for that era. Up there with the Savage/Hogan/Liz turn.

His bumping was fantastic, not just as a big man, but as a wrestler. And for a guy with his physique, he was astounding in getting the most he could out of his character, a master of facial and body expressions. Id rather watch his reactions during his matches than most wrestlers actions.

I'd rather watch him in anything, be it a 2 minute squash or 25 minute slog than every other wrestler except the 9 above him on my list.

All the guys I've been the high vote on so far (Ouillet, Cabana, Jacques, Steiner, Steen, and Bossman) are all guys I'd drop almost anything to watch a highly pimped match of.

I'm actually very sympathetic to that rationale. Thanks for stepping up and explaining.

Navarro and Aries were both mine. I gave Aries a bottom ten vote because he was one of my two or three favourite wrestlers in the world from about '06-'08, though even that wasn't enough to get me to watch TNA consistently so I have no idea what he was like there. Glad he's in NXT now because it means I'll probably get to see him from time to time.

He was super effective as both a face and a heel. Even though he was already Big Bubba in WCW when I started watching (mid-90s), I knew he had been Big Bossman in WWF and was SHOCKED to eventually find out he started out as a heel before that early 90s run. And that turn angle with Dibiase is a high point of character development for that era. Up there with the Savage/Hogan/Liz turn.

His bumping was fantastic, not just as a big man, but as a wrestler. And for a guy with his physique, he was astounding in getting the most he could out of his character, a master of facial and body expressions. Id rather watch his reactions during his matches than most wrestlers actions.

I'm actually very sympathetic to that rationale. Thanks for stepping up and explaining.

Cool. Thanks for the positive reaction. I think I can dial down the preemptive defensiveness a bit now.

He was super effective as both a face and a heel. Even though he was already Big Bubba in WCW when I started watching (mid-90s), I knew he had been Big Bossman in WWF and was SHOCKED to eventually find out he started out as a heel before that early ‘90s run. And that turn angle with Dibiase is a high point of character development for that era. Up there with the Savage/Hogan/Liz turn.

His bumping was fantastic, not just as a big man, but as a wrestler. And for a guy with his physique, he was astounding in getting the most he could out of his character, a master of facial and body expressions. I’d rather watch his reactions during his matches than most wrestlers’ actions.

PYEGoZXABBMuk.gif

PYEGoZXABBMuk.gif

m1tGNExm_400x400.jpeg