Your Wrestling Guilty Pleasure

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

Big John Studd. I may have been the only kid who loved that he won the Royal Rumble & was hoping that would be the start of a long run. I also dug him in the middle part of the decade & always thought it should have been him instead of Bundy @ WM2. He was also my favourite Andre opponent.

#22 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2530 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

I might think of more later, but off the top of my head...

Scotty Riggs/Anton

I was the only one who liked him in ECW and cheered his heel turn against RVD. I also thought he was much better than Bagwell.

I remember him showing up in the WWF as Scott Studd before his WCW run and working a pretty decent long match with someone - I wish I could remember who it was, but I do know it aired on Prime Time Wrestling.

Repo Man

Yes, Barry Darsow is a favorite (at least on this board), but I'm talking specifically about the silly-ass Repo Man character, which always made me smile. Great laugh, great catchphrase, great costume. Darsow had a "main event" run with Smash (as far as tag teams go in the WWF anyway), but he still went all-in and embraced this goofy shit, even though he had to know he wouldn't be headlining anything with it.

Curt Hennig/West Texas Rednecks/Rap is Crap

This was pure and utter WrestleCrap, but Hennig embraced it and turned himself and his cohorts babyface in the process (Dubya C Dubya never acknowledged that, but the fans sure did).

#23 NotJayTabb

NotJayTabb
  • Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

I might think of more later, but off the top of my head...

Scotty Riggs/Anton

I was the only one who liked him in ECW and cheered his heel turn against RVD. I also thought he was much better than Bagwell.

I remember him showing up in the WWF as Scott Studd before his WCW run and working a pretty decent long match with someone - I wish I could remember who it was, but I do know it aired on Prime Time Wrestling.

Pretty sure it was Luger, think he's talked positively about the experience on Twitter.

I also liked Riggs, seem to remember he had a really good match with Kanyon on Thunder shortly after the Flock broke up, while he was still wearing an eyepatch. Also though he was quite good with his "I get better looking every single day" gimmick. Definitely better than Bagwell

#24 texaspedro

texaspedro
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Music, Art, Football (Soccer), Silent films, Kaiju films and of course.. PRO WRESTLING!

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

God help me, but I've grown to become fond of Zandig. His wrestling and his matches are horrible and negative twenty stars but beginning with that "Danzig as Zandig" video on youtube and going through stuff... I just get a bad/funny enjoyment out of that man's work so much. Poor Josh, Eeegah, has to put up with me making a joke every week telling him a RAW "spoiler" and it being some fantasy booking of Zandig putting people through tables on fire. But what can I say? He's the most ultra violent force in professional wrestling who can stop a car with his hands! 

#25 Eegah

Eegah
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

God help me, but I've grown to become fond of Zandig. His wrestling and his matches are horrible and negative twenty stars but beginning with that "Danzig as Zandig" video on youtube and going through stuff... I just get a bad/funny enjoyment out of that man's work so much. Poor Josh, Eeegah, has to put up with me making a joke every week telling him a RAW "spoiler" and it being some fantasy booking of Zandig putting people through tables on fire. But what can I say? He's the most ultra violent force in professional wrestling who can stop a car with his hands! 

Love the Zandig, appreciate and nurture the love of Zandig. It will keep you in your perfect wrestling chakra.

#26 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2530 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

Pretty sure it was Luger, think he's talked positively about the experience on Twitter.

I also liked Riggs, seem to remember he had a really good match with Kanyon on Thunder shortly after the Flock broke up, while he was still wearing an eyepatch. Also though he was quite good with his "I get better looking every single day" gimmick. Definitely better than Bagwell

Now I'm wondering if I was actually thinking about this match, from WCW:

He's still Studd there, and I had Austin in the back of my mind as his opponent, but I discarded that because I thought it was a WWF match.

#27 grapplin' apple

grapplin' apple
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

I love Sid. Unabashedly. Whenever he used to show up in a promotion, I would be excited. 

All of the '80s "monsters" I love: One Man Gang, Kamala, LeDuc, Big John Studd, Big Bubba Rodgers, Bundy, etc. I always loved it when guys were portrayed as unstoppable.

#28 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

It's funny because I've come to really appreciate the talent in most of my guilty pleasures over the years so I don't consider them that anymore.

But one thing that does come to mind is the Parejas Increibles tournament. The matches are five minutes and goofy, disposable, but the idea of, I don't know, Panther and Casas teaming, or Kraneo and Porky. it's just so much fun.

#29 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 4006 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:40 AM

So for this week's podcast, we're looking to talk about guilty pleasures in wrestling, and are looking for your contributions on wrestlers, matches, angles, feuds, shows, whatever it may be, that for you is a guilty pleasure - someone or something that typically gets plenty of derision and scorn, but deep down you enjoy, perhaps against your better judgement.

Squash matches. Especially from hosses like Sid, Norton or Vader. It's fun to watch them slather some defenseless jobber... and you actually get to see finishers finish people in squash matches instead of everyone kicking out of everything. Goldberg is in this category too. That dude never failed to entertain me when he was just running through people. It wasn't until they tried to put him in 15 minute matches that I lost interest. 

I also love the "fat guy is teetering" spot where they gotta keep hitting him to knock him off his feet.

#30 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10652 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

Death matches for me. 

#31 ChuckScumm

ChuckScumm
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Add Zandig to my list as well. Also add in the old XPW TV show, which I found to be hilarious.

#32 JRGoldman

JRGoldman
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

I unabashedly love the Dynamic Dudes. There is something so charming about watching them go out there, knowing full well they are going to die a thousand deaths, and still try their best to act like people love it. There is one PPV where they come out and Johnny pulls a kid out of the crowd to play frisbee with him, and the kid is fucking pissed that he has to interact with this doofus. It's amazing. Do you know how shitty you have to be to someone make a kid getting picked out of the crowd to interact with wrestlers unfun? It's glorious. But the best part is, they just keep going and keep trying. It's truly inspiring and admirable in a way. 

I don't want to turn this in to a "back in the day" type discussion, but I think the Dudes show a clear difference between then and now with wrestling. Ace and Douglas knew they were given garbage, and hated every second of it, but still went out and did their job. Now, any wrestler with a gimmick they don't like has to constantly let the audience know they are in on the joke. I guess in a way, the Dynamic Dudes represent a simpler time for me. 

#33 ElHijodeGorgeousGeorge

ElHijodeGorgeousGeorge
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Death matches for me. 

There is just something so oddly comforting seeing fat rednecks go through panes of glass. I especially loved the "glory days" of IWA-MS when you'd see cards with Punk and Hero going like 2 hours while the rest of the card is just complete murder. 

#34 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5597 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

Stiff chair shots to the head -- when not overdone.  My god, they are so brutal & intense and almost always kick things up another gear when used sparingly. 

But not cool!  And really, shouldn't be done.  Will not complain if I never see another.  But watching old footage?  POW!

#35 grapplin' apple

grapplin' apple
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I LOVE the obvious face in mask gimmick like Charlie Brown from Outta Town, Stagger Lee, Mr. America, Midnight Rider, etc....so obsurd but they crack me up every time.

Definitely one of my favorite things in wrestling.

Oh, Absolutely this for me as well. I remember when Dusty did the Midnight Rider gimmick in Crockett. Right after he premiered, you had a series of hilarious promos where all the heels cry out "It's Dusty Rhodes!" and all of the faces are like "Well, we don't know for sure...."

#36 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Trainwrecks. Example: the glorious meeting between Antonio Inoki and the Great Antonio. My favorite Inoki match by far.

https://youtu.be/9lXAGZtMxU8

#37 raul

raul
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

i love watching wrestlemania 2000, especially the hardcore battle royal

Stiff chair shots to the head -- when not overdone.  My god, they are so brutal & intense and almost always kick things up another gear when used sparingly. 

But not cool!  And really, shouldn't be done.  Will not complain if I never see another.  But watching old footage?  POW!

watching taker kill mr. kennedy with a chair is so good, but it's fucking awful

#38 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Add me on the Shane Douglas list. I am a huge Franchise mark, and would likely rank him as one of my personal Top 5 Favorites ever. Not to mention that I've worked a ton of shows with him, and he is the nicest fucking guy in the world.

I will 2nd Big John Studd's Royal Rumble win as well. I was super happy to see him get it, and really hoped it meant a big push for him.

As for my guilty pleasure... Battle Royals. I know most people find them repetitive or boring, but there is something about them that I can't get enough of. I don't give a damn who is in them either. Men, women, midgets. Give me a ring full of people trying to chuck each other over the top rope, and I'm a happy boy!

#39 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Good wrestlers in bad/weird gimmicks. Brad Armstrong as Arachnaman, Art Barr as the Juicer, Hector Guerrero as Laser Tron. World Wrestling All Stars. Weekly PPV era TNA. Hogan/Bischoff TNA (Jeff Jarrett cleaning a bathroom, Sean Morley comes in after him and you hear Jarrett go 'oh God' cracks me up) NWO celebrity stuff (Jay Leno, Rodman and Malone)

#40 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

I grew up watching only WWF until 1985, so when I was introduced to the "good guy under a mask" gimmick I fell in love with it. The first thing I ever saw from NWA was Valiant returning from a 90 day loser leaves town stip, and then paying off two jobbers so he and Buzz Tyler could get their hands on Paul Jones' men. This kinda thing didn't happen on WWF Saturday morning TV, and I was hooked. Also, the sound the ropes made in Crockett sounded like dried beans in a tin can. I have a Pavlovian response of joy when I hear that to this day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users