• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Reading, BJJ, Traveling, Beer, Cooking, Dogs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Guilty to some of the fandom narrative but definitely not in my eyes is Sid. Hes one of my 10 favorite wrestlers ever and I will go on jaunts watching him squash guys and cut his insane promos fairly regularly.

This!

I love me some Sid Vicious (my personal favorite of his names) and usually enjoy watching him.  I am not going to say he is great or even good really, but I do think he is better than the general narrative frames him.  He worked pretty hard and was very limited, but when someone really worked with him and played to his strengths he wasn't bad. I honestly think he was asked to do far too much and the people in charge were far too often not conscious of his limitations.  He has absolutely elite presence and brings a lot to my general enjoyment of wrestling by being fucking giant crazy person.

#42 Lust Hogan

Lust Hogan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

Mr. America's debut:

My favorite part is when he tells the crowd of about 10,000 "SSHHH", like he's saying, "Don't tell anybody it's me!".

LOL!

To piggy back on this I love Hulk Hogan's interactions with the crowd. "The Orange Goblin" has GREAT timing whenever he's in the ring.

#43 Lust Hogan

Lust Hogan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:05 AM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot......ERNIE LADD!!

WAY ahead of his time! Heels getting shown up by the babyface is something I miss....also heel rationale on why they did certain things.

#44 Judy Bagwell

Judy Bagwell
  • Banned
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Going over and keeping my heat

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:16 AM

Don Muraco in 87-88 roided up to the gills YES!!

WCW 95 to early 96 the worse it gets the more I dig it

#45 Lee Casebolt

Lee Casebolt
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

I resist the term "guilty pleasure" because I don't feel bad about any of it, but the top of my Unpopular Opinions list is probably the Lance Storm/Justin Credible Impact Players. I will go to my grave insisting that Credible was the best heel of 1999. (Granted, I will also go to my grave insisting '99 was the worst year in wrestling history, but still.) Everyone in the country was trying to be a Cool Heel. Credible got genuine hate. Love that team.

#46 Eegah

Eegah
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

I resist the term "guilty pleasure" because I don't feel bad about any of it, but the top of my Unpopular Opinions list is probably the Lance Storm/Justin Credible Impact Players. I will go to my grave insisting that Credible was the best heel of 1999. (Granted, I will also go to my grave insisting '99 was the worst year in wrestling history, but still.) Everyone in the country was trying to be a Cool Heel. Credible got genuine hate. Love that team.

I enjoyed the hell out of that run as well, the crowd definitely loathed Credible. He got legit heel heat at the only ECW show I ever got to attend.

#47 Jingus

Jingus
  • Banned
  • 2583 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:35 AM

Exploding barbed-wire deathmatches.  I don't have much justification for them besides "it's cool when shit blows up", but by GOD I absolutely LOVE me some exploding barbed-wire deathmatches.  Even though the match is stupidly dangerous to the performers, even though they often turn out to be terrible matches, even though FMW was seemingly the only company in the world that knew how to produce them properly.  

#48 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2206 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I love wrestlers with monster gimmicks. Prince Kharis bleeding sand. Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, intergalactic warlord. Do the Freddy. Mantaur had a criminally short run, I'd have made him Intercontinental champion. Gangrel's mobile shower solutions. The whole Dungeon of Doom was awesome, apart from Beefcake obviously. SULLIVAN!!! MY SON!!! The Ye-Tay humping. 'I'm not a Shark, I'm a man'. The Espectro family (see avatar). The Lucha gimmicks that made copyright tap out. Eskeletor, Los Thundercats, all the Ninja Turtles factions. Great stuff.

#49 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

I love wrestlers with monster gimmicks. Prince Kharis bleeding sand. Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, intergalactic warlord. Do the Freddy. Mantaur had a criminally short run, I'd have made him Intercontinental champion. Gangrel's mobile shower solutions. The whole Dungeon of Doom was awesome, apart from Beefcake obviously. SULLIVAN!!! MY SON!!! The Ye-Tay humping. 'I'm not a Shark, I'm a man'. The Espectro family (see avatar). The Lucha gimmicks that made copyright tap out. Eskeletor, Los Thundercats, all the Ninja Turtles factions. Great stuff.

Do the Freddy is the best wrestling music video ever. Anyone that would dispute it is a liar and a charlatan.

#50 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4180 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

My biggest wrestling guilty pleasure is Konan Big. He's this 50 year old jacked up part time wrestler and also guest host of a tv show in Monterey Mexico. He's a big draw there and wrestles all kinds of people, men, women, 90 year old baseball writers, clowns, etc. His matches are usually him and a partner vs 5-10 guys and he almost always wins. Most people probably would think he's god awful but man I find him entertaining as hell.

Another guilty pleasure is Santino Marella. For a long time, he was my favorite guy on the main roster. I find him hiarious and he's had to work with some god awful material. Glamaerlla and Santina Forever.

#51 Hegs

Hegs
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Captain Lou. His interviews were hysterical, his cheap shots the best and his wrestling was horribly entertaining. Ive watched Butcher Vachon's wedding 100 times mainly because of Albano and to a lesser degree Blassie. Hated it when they turned him face.

#52 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Tony Atlas. He had a terrible punch, had a drop kick that was so awkward looking and was overall pretty bad in the ring. With all that said I love watching him for some reason. Maybe because I'm gym guy, but I've never been able to put my finger on it. He did have some great charisma though. I even dig his interviews. That realty show that the Network had was must watch tv due to Atlas for me.

#53 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 3001 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'd like to think I'm a better person now, but scantily clad women are probably in the discussion from my teenage years.

#54 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Edge - I know I shouldn't like him, but I love him. Peak Edge is awesome. 

#55 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

Another guilty pleasure is Santino Marella. For a long time, he was my favorite guy on the main roster. I find him hiarious and he's had to work with some god awful material. Glamaerlla and Santina Forever.

Yea I fucking loved me some Santino. Too bad we never got a Santino vs. Boogeyman feud to combine my two guilty pleasures.

#56 Nighthawk

Nighthawk
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Flyin' Brian. Not Loose Cannon Brian Pillman. But Flyin' Brian. That intense, homicidally competitive babyface is something people never really get right. Also, the Superbrawl II match with Liger still blows my mind. 

#57 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

Lol @ Pillman being a guilty pleasure

#58 Nighthawk

Nighthawk
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Lol @ Pillman being a guilty pleasure

As I've gotten older, I've gotten more into shoot-style stuff. Also, paradoxically, a chain match. Don't know why but everytime I see a chain match I get a little evil smile. 

#59 JaymeFuture

JaymeFuture
  • Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:50 AM

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcircle...y_Pleasures.mp3

Join us for our show on Wrestling's Guilty Pleasures! Talking people, matches, angles, feuds, companies and more, we run the gamut of questionable fandom, discussing the likes of Sid Vicious, X-Factor, The Invasion Angle, Battle Royals, Squash Matches, 1995, the UWF, The Lex Express, Lord Tensai, The Miz and JBL as WWE Champions, Giants, Toru Yano, Repo Man, IRS, Planet Stasiak, Steve "Mongo" McMichael, Violence in wrestling and much more. A really fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

#60 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

Wow. I'm surprised to see some of those things mentioned. I'll definitely have to hear the reasons for a few of 'em.

But make no mistake - JBL's title reign was the bee's sleeves, and it should be highly regarded as such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users