Pro Wrestling Only

Premier Podcast Brand #2 - PWO'S Greatest Wrestler Ever 50-1

terrypremierpod.jpg

The Premier Podcast Brand (Kris Zellner & Dylan Hales) are here to discuss the Top 50 on their Greatest Wrestler Ever list on the Pro Wrestling Only Message Board on prowrestlingonly.com

In what basically became the War & Peace of wrestling podcasts, we discussed some of our personal favorites plus debate the placements on each others list as well as the reasoning why we left off certain people. This show will definitely prove that there is no true group thinking among our circles as we have a vast difference of opinion on some of our choices here.

http://placetobenation.com/premier-podcast-brand-2-pwos-greatest-wrestler-ever-50-1/

Really enjoyed the first part of this so looking forward to starting on this one.

I was following Kris' updates on twitter about how long it was going, so glad that this has been uploaded in two separate parts as opposed to one almighty 8 1/2 hour job!

On Jumbo/Dylan, I actually think a No. 51 rating is more than fair for someone you're not into. And that's what it sounds like, you're just not into Jumbo. You did a good job trying to explain why, but there's nothing wrong with simply not connecting with a guy and leaving it at that.

One thing I will disagree with both of you on is Tenryu's fire vs. Jumbo's fire. To me, Tenryu always seemed like he just got out of bed, wandered into a wrestling ring, and found himself in a match. Once he clears the cobwebs and wakes up, he's great, but it can take him a while (and sometimes he never really wakes up).

To me, Jumbo's facial expressions always made him seem like he was into the match, engaging, and not simply going through the motions. When I see Jumbo work, I picture a grumpy father reading the newspaper in the 1950s who gets super pissed off at his kids for playing too rough and breaking mom's favorite vase. Dad was enjoying reading about last night's Yankees game, but now he's gotta put down the paper, chase down his obnoxious children, and whip them with a belt.

Looking forward to finishing this pod. Eight hours on 50 wrestlers......impressive!

My favorite thing about this so far is that you guys did let yourselves go off on interesting tangents without worrying about run time. I'm thinking particularly of the Virus conversation regarding different standards of stardom in different countries.

It's also interesting how different your ballots are in the 35-50 range. It sort of re-hammered home how much I wish I could have voted for 150-200 wrestlers.

Eagerly await the reaction to #17 and #16 by Dylan. I also was shocked to hear Kris' #21

The ace part was kind of confusing because he kept comparing him to Bret when I was way more interested in listening why he thought he was a better ace than his #17 (who Dylan thinks #16 was better as an ace too), something I don't see at all. So I was eager to listen to his thoughts on that, then again, haven't got to the part where him and Kriz discuss #17 so maybe it is addressed then.

Still listening but the Savage talk did get me thinking about something I thought at the time. Is Randy Savage the most beloved wrestler amongst the populace? Non wrestling fans seemed to love the character, casual fans who were gone remembered him fondly. Even today amongst the "smart" crowd he is not a guy that gets talked ill of very often and seems to check all the points amongst casuals to the hardcores.

The Sarge Peak Matches argument was strong, especially because it can be said in 2-3 sentences.

I was not expecting Martel to end with "I've never seen a great Martel Brawl." but I'm not sure. I need to rewatch some things. In my mind the Funk WWC match is 10 minutes of stalling and then brawling, but I don't think it is. I need to rewatch the comebacks in the Sheepherders matches. There weren't any brawls after the AWA bloody Freebirds Martel angle? I guess that I'm immediately not sure, that's an issue, but I'm not sure that'd affect my rating anyway relative to other things.

I get why people would shake their head at it. Hell I might myself in ten years.

I would note (without spoiling anything) that while some might consider me "anti-AJPW" I voted the four pillars plus 1 and the top gajin from the early 90s all in my top 30.

Tough to argue you're anti-AJPW there. I'm just of the mindset that that crew is responsible for the best wrestling ever and ranked them accordingly, even if irrationally so.

One thing I love about these podcasts is hearing the case for wrestlers I haven't seen enough of as it gives me some references for things to eventually watch. But you know its a good show when it makes me want to go back and watch the names I *am* familiar with and comfortably didn't rank, and that is the case here.

I get why people would shake their head at it. Hell I might myself in ten years.

I would note (without spoiling anything) that while some might consider me "anti-AJPW" I voted the four pillars plus 1 and the top gajin from the early 90s all in my top 30.

Tough to argue you're anti-AJPW there. I'm just of the mindset that that crew is responsible for the best wrestling ever and ranked them accordingly, even if irrationally so.

One thing I love about these podcasts is hearing the case for wrestlers I haven't seen enough of as it gives me some references for things to eventually watch. But you know its a good show when it makes me want to go back and watch the names I *am* familiar with and comfortably didn't rank, and that is the case here.

Agree with this. Every time I listen to a chunk of the show, it leaves me excited to go watch some wrestling. Can't do better than that.

The AJPW thing really didn't strike me as a big deal, because Dylan said most of the same stuff I'd say (did say) about those guys. He just ranked most of them lower. And I love pretty much everyone he ranked higher, so it's really just a matter of shuffling the same 20 or so wrestlers.

Agree with this. Every time I listen to a chunk of the show, it leaves me excited to go watch some wrestling. Can't do better than that.

The AJPW thing really didn't strike me as a big deal, because Dylan said most of the same stuff I'd say (did say) about those guys. He just ranked most of them lower. And I love pretty much everyone he ranked higher, so it's really just a matter of shuffling the same 20 or so wrestlers.

At this level, the differences in order are razor thin margins of personal taste or valuation.

At this level, the differences in order are razor thin margins of personal taste or valuation.

Of course. We all just want to champion our guys :)