Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-04-02-WWN-Mercury Rising 2016] Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre Jr

Phil Schneider

Man Chris Hero's throwback Golden State Warriors gear makes him my new favorite wrestler, that is so dope. Hero was awesome in this match, I think it is his best performance in year. He totally brutalizes ZSJ while delivering some sweet smack talk, at one point he calls Sabre sweetheart while begging him to hit him. I loved how Hero used typical indy counter stuff as a shit talking move, he would counter Sabre's stuff and use it to taunt him, nice use of something which can come off like applause pandering under other circumstances. Sabre is still a little unnatural to me, his KO selling and fired up faces seem pretty performative, it isn't nearly as bad as Davey Richards, but it is in that same phylum. This also goes a bit too long, no opener, no matter the back story or talent involved should go 30 minutes. Still I did love the finish run, with Hero getting more and more vicious and Sabre trying to pull out a flash submission, or roll up and just getting overwhelmed until he gets put to sleep. Great stuff, and I like ZSJ consistently falling short to Hero, it is going to make his big win really big.

• 9 months later...

My god, what a marvelous professional wrestling match! This was even better than their all-time great PWG classic from 2015 - you got Hero as the pissed off, big veteran bully & ZSJ as the pissed off technical wizard underdog. It made for such a great dynamic, and the story they told with Hero being a total dick to Zack, and Zack focusing on the ankle & mostly arm work. I have never seen ZSJ as fired up as he was in this match, and it was the perfect foil to Hero's trashtalking bully act. This was honestly nearly perfect. Somewhat overlooked when it comes to MOTYC's for the year. Easily the 2nd best match of the whole WM weekend - just behind Zayn vs. Nakamura. ****3/4

• 9 months later...

I just watched this the day after watching their June 2015 PWG match, and the tag they were in in January 2016 in Evolve.

This was a great match. Hero and ZSJ pair together so well - these are easily the best ZSJ matches I have seen. Hero sells so well and his big moves fit with Sabre's submissions and reversals in a way that Sabre matches often don't. This also stays away from the exhibition feeling. Just a brutal match too, Hero just nailing Sabre with kicks and elbows and sentons, and the finish is just really harsh too. Weird to think this was the opener on this show.

I think this is on par with the 2015 PWG match, which stood out more for the unique finger submissions. This has great Hero smack talk and bully segments - Hero really came into his own over the years and always flew under my radar. This is a really great match. Best spot is a tie between Hero missing a senton into an armbar, and Hero swinging a chair at Sabre into the ringpost.

****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2016-04-02-WWN-Mercury Rising 2016] Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre Jr