Pro Wrestling Only

Current Lucha Talk

Grimmas

GWE is over, we can now focus on current wrestling. Cubsfan puts up everything weekly on youtube, so there is no excuse to not watch a little.

Here we are, current lucha talk. What did you watch? What are you looking forward to? News, rumours, etc...

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught Negro vs. Volador apuestas last week and had some pretty major issues with the pacing. I know the style of these matches has moved towards big moves and extreme escalation but I didn't get a sense of that win at all costs measurement and desperation that I would hope for with something like the hair on the line. The moves were still executed well which is nice considering Casas' age and the spottiness that is Volador at times, but it really soured me on the current apuestas style and made me appreciate the Atlantis matches more for still keeping me invested and biting on the near falls.

Caught Negro vs. Volador apuestas last week and had some pretty major issues with the pacing. I know the style of these matches has moved towards big moves and extreme escalation but I didn't get a sense of that win at all costs measurement and desperation that I would hope for with something like the hair on the line. The moves were still executed well which is nice considering Casas' age and the spottiness that is Volador at times, but it really soured me on the current apuestas style and made me appreciate the Atlantis matches more for still keeping me invested and biting on the near falls.

Did you see the Rush vs Maximo Sexy apuestas match?

I didn't think it was blow away great or anything, but definitely a really solid match with good heat.

I think Rush vs. Máximo was the best match I've seen this year. Since I started watching lucha, I've seen Rush beat Shocker and Negro Casas in a dominating way or throwing around low blows because he cared more about humilliating his opponents than winning. In the match against Máximo, he's been the most vulnerable I've ever seen him, and the best part is it's only because of the idea of Máximo challenging his notion of masculinity with the friendly fire kiss that started their feud.

You have Rush feeling the need to do the bait and switch with Pierroth to surprise Máximo and looking scared when the referee throws Pierroth out because he knows, after getting hit by three straight topes by Máximo - which was one of the greatest desperations spots I've seen recently - that he might get beaten by this guy with pink hair that's he's treated as someone that he needs to squash and being shaved by him would be the ultimate humilliation.

So here you have CMLL, Máximo and Rush telling the best story around gender roles and heteronormativity after so many people have failed before them. And they weren't even trying, probably.

IWRG has been a lot of fun this year too. They have the Panteras, the reunited Terribles Cerebros, the Navarros (even if watching Trauma II is hard for me right now), the Insoportables and they're finally pushing Diablo Jr. and Imposible (who is one of the most underrated guys in México, imho) in the Mariachis Locos.

Volador Jr. is a horrible worker in a singles setting and drags everyone else down with him since he only ever works that one style of match, at least in recent times.

It's not even that I hate spotfests, since I loved the Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi stuff and thought the recent Dorada/Cavernario (Puebla) and Dorada/Extreme Tiger (ELITE) matches were very good. He's just bad at the two things that make spotfests work; escalation and transitions.

I'll guess I'll be in the minority saying I liked Volador/Dorada

Favorite lucha matches so far this year

Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi: CMLL 3/4

Kamaitachi vs Maximo: CMLL 1/1

Volador Jr vs Caristico: Elite 4/6

Rey Horus vs Dragon Lee: Lucha Memes 3/6

Dr Wagner Jr vs Psycho Clown: AAA Rey de Reyes

Mascara Dorada vs Memphisto: CMLL 2/19

Mascara Dorada vs Barbaro Cavenario: CMLL 3/28

El Desmiasado and Los Kamikazes vs Freelance, Suicida, Super Mega, and Septimo Rayo: Lucha Memes 12/25

Rush vs Maximo: CMLL 3/18

Mascara Dorada has probably been my favorite worker in Mexico so far this year and his resume just keeps piling up. He's a very underrated guy, but I think he's having a Most Outstanding candidate kind of year. Can't wait for his upcoming match with Memphisto since I really liked their previous title match.

Any news on the Negro Casas/Hechicero match surfacing? Is it up anywhere yet?

CMLL has been killing it this year. Almost every Friday show has been good with several good matches and outright bad stuff being a rarity. The Monday and Tuesday shows are more hit-or-miss but often have good stuff too. I've been thinking about starting a yearly list of great CMLL trios because it seems like it's mostly singles stuff that gets remembered at the end of the year. Off the top of my head, though:

Maximo Sexy/Dragon Lee/Marco Corleone vs. Ultimo Guerrero/Terrible/Kamaitachi 02/06
Volador Jr./Dragon Lee/Stuka Jr. vs. Negro Casas/Gran Guerrero/Kamaitachi 02/19

Guerrero Maya Jr./Rey Cometa/Blue Panther vs. Hechicero/Kráneo/Ripper 04/01

Rey Cometa/Stuka Jr./Titán vs. Bárbaro Cavernario/Felino/Mr. Niebla 04/08

The Lightning match between Cavernario and Cometa on Friday was a blast too and that's on its way to a bigger match.

Yeah. I appreciated that it wasn't just a back-and-forth spotfest like their Aniversario 2014 match too, even though both are very good at that kind of match. There was an actual extended heat segment with hope spots, a comeback and a finishing stretch. Cavernario would be great regardless of age, but when you factor in how young he is it's borderline mindblowing. A lot of young guys have the spots and athleticism, but few have his skill at laying out a match, knowing when to ramp the action up or down, playing to the crowd, etc.

I think, ultimately, teaming with Felino and Niebla has been a net positive for him too, especially considering he's had to be the "worker" in those matches. He's gotten a lot of positive character and crowd interaction experience from it without having picked up their obvious 2016 downsides and bad habits.

I think, ultimately, teaming with Felino and Niebla has been a net positive for him too, especially considering he's had to be the "worker" in those matches. He's gotten a lot of positive character and crowd interaction experience from it without having picked up their obvious 2016 downsides and bad habits.

It's true, at least for me. I see his name and get excited, see his partners and skip the match.

Was I the only one who liked the Mexico/Japan 8-man from Dos Leyendas? I know Fujin/Raijin are newbies and such, but after the first fall, it's like they figured some things out and that third fall was really great.

I thought it was a hell of a good time and a good match to throw on an undercard of a show like that.

watched Maximo vs. Rush

This was a great match. Rush was the ultimate dick at first and it really played out well for the quick first two caida structure that CMLL uses. Rush gets disqualified in the first caida and only intensifies his attack. Him throwing the soda on Maximo was a great heel ploy. Poneglyph does a great job going over the story above but Pierroth getting tossed along with the crowd chanting for Porky was a great moment. I did like how the kiss from Miaximo was the final straw for Rush where he was able to mount enough offense to put Maximo away to prove his masculinity. This isn't a shocking revelation but Rush really does seem poised to be a star for years upon years to come. ****

Atlantis vs. Caristico in the Liga Elite was fun stuff too. Atlantis was a good base for Caristico's spotty offense and it played out well that he was able to be the wily veteran that had a counter for all of the flash that Caristico was throwing his way. Finish was succinct and well done with the multiple backbreakers and La Atlantida to put Caristico away. ***

I wonder if there is anything different in the CMLL booking this year. It does feel different than the last few (well, other than the Esfinge tournament win.)

They seem at least to be matching the talented guys up more often without ruining things by throwing Porky or Pierroth in there.

There's that, but not just that. It's not just that they're giving us more good pairings, but they're giving us more pairings in general, more big matches, more build and payoff, something like the January card which was an actual full card and not one match and a bunch of nothing.

Weird question, but what do you folks watch week to week? Just the matches that peak your interest? Certain shows? Certain wrestlers? Hyped stuff?

I never know what to do with a giant playlist of everything that aired from all companies.

It's a total joy that we get live CMLL three times a week. Not all of it is good, especially some of the undercard stuff, but I love having it on in the background on the CPU as I'm watching other stuff, and tune in more when it's something I think will be good. More live wrestling is always better than less live wrestling. I'll go off cubs and other people for things I know I need to catch though. As for indy matches, I catch what I can when I can when it makes it online. Same with Elite. No idea what a post GWE world will mean.

I usually watch at least two of the CMLL livestreams in real time. The Friday Arena Mexico shows for CMLL are kinda essential viewing because they've been on fire there this year. Only time I pay attention for certain wrestlers is when there's a kick ass tecnicos team that I know will just do insane stuff. For example say Mistico, Dragon Lee, and Mascara Dorada on the same team.

I watch Elite every Friday when they air it. That's just my favorite company in all of wrestling to follow right now and the shows are such an easy watch.

Has anyone else seen Dr Wagner Jr vs Psycho Clown from Rey De Reyes yet? I haven't seen a lot of thoughts it. Just want to see if I'm on an island thinking that was a great match.

Yeah sorry I have to disagree on this one. Felt like a bloated AAA brawl with walking around the arena, a ton of interference from the seconds and then the dramatic ending stretch with big moves and dramatic pauses for the nearfalls without a clear sense of the escalation being made. Full disclosure that AAA is the promotion I have had the hardest trouble getting into besides ECW throughout their history but this didn't inspire me.