Pro Wrestling Only

Separate But Equal?: The ultimate goal of Feminism in wrestling

Luchaundead

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Thoughts on WWE's announcement of the first ever Women's Royal Rumble?

While the announcement itself has been well received by the wrestling community, the WAY it was done has been completely dumped on by most. The sad thing is some other promotions are taking queues from WWE on how to present 'revolutions', but only as it pertains to women. With men--its standard business and wrestling is wrestling. With the women, its time to break the fourth wall, perform a "Curtin Call", cry, hug, and take a photo REGARDLESS of what is happening with particular angles, match, feuds, etc. Last night, despite Absolution run rampant on the women's division, all the women were more than happy to immediately stop fighting, start smiling, and hug it out because "making history" is more important than settling rivalries, winning championships, and making money.

The final moments of Raw was WWE's continued systemic patronizing and lack of self awareness disguised as the triumph over progressive metanarratives. What has been interesting is that the few comments from women that I have seen online, indicate that some women are perfectly fine mainly last due to the outcome. WWE has conditioned its fans, in other areas of its programing, that only the outcome matters and everything else can be counter-shifted in some way.

Thoughts on WWE's announcement of the first ever Women's Royal Rumble?

I haven't seen the segment. And it seems god-fucking-awful and everything that you just mentioned. It's so infuriating and indeed patronizing. But the outcome, the real outcome that is important to the WWE people is the fact Stephy is presented as the Mother Hen of WWE Women Liberation tm. That's the only thing that matters, ultimately, which is why they have to go through the process of group hugging and crying and shit. It has to be underlined as a "creative process" on Stephy's part (although she isn't even in creative at this point I believe), much like HHH is using NXT to wank in the face of "smart" fans at every turn, while he's only simply rotating indy darlings (lol) in big push positions and doing retromaniac booking that everyone know won't fly in the main roster.

Basically, it's all about empowering the McMahons, who are official supports (and more) of Donald Trump, that feminist...

As far as the Women's Rumble, super cool idea and looking forward to it (yeah, I know, I'm setting myself up for disappointment already).

That fallout segment was awful. Everyone needs to thank and pay homage to the glorious inventor of women's wrestling, Stephanie McMahon. And the whole group arm-raise thing? They were brawling just minutes before! Saw someone correctly point out that it would have been like Authors of Pain, Sanity, and Undisputed Era all shake hands and hug after War Games was announced. Just so contrived and screamed of "Look! Progress! PR!"