Pro Wrestling Only

Southern Indie Thread

Dylan Waco

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally jumped on the CWF Mid-Atlantic bandwagon after someone got me to watch the Trevor Lee vs. Rob McBride match that I thought was really good. Watched the first part of Battlecade this morning and really enjoyed that as well. Looking forward to part 2 going up on Wednesday night.

Very good commentary, a good lively crowd (non-smarky/chant happy) and some of the best production values I've seen in indie wrestling quite possible THE best. Like I have no idea how or why CWF Mid-Atlantic has better production values for it's youtube show than ROH did for a long time after it first started on Sinclair Broadcasting (although it looks like they've finally gotten a lot better in the regard now)

Checking it out now.

Dirty Daddy is really bad.

Do CWF shows sell out? It isn't the end of the world for me to get my ticket in advance, but I am probably going to wait till the day of to see if the weather is good enough to come off the mountain without much hassle. Would I be ok to get my ticket at the door or should I just get one in advance to be safe.

Finally jumped on the CWF Mid-Atlantic bandwagon after someone got me to watch the Trevor Lee vs. Rob McBride match that I thought was really good. Watched the first part of Battlecade this morning and really enjoyed that as well. Looking forward to part 2 going up on Wednesday night.

Very good commentary, a good lively crowd (non-smarky/chant happy) and some of the best production values I've seen in indie wrestling quite possible THE best. Like I have no idea how or why CWF Mid-Atlantic has better production values for it's youtube show than ROH did for a long time after it first started on Sinclair Broadcasting (although it looks like they've finally gotten a lot better in the regard now)

Checking it out now.

Dirty Daddy is really bad.

It's a bit of a mixed bag because it's a promotion that's attached to a wrestling school so you're going to get some guys who are still unpolished and learning. I thought that first match was the worst of the 4 that were on that show but not awful or anything, just an average match with a few execution/selling issues. I have not watched a lot of CWF yet but it seems like something you're not going to be throwing ****+ at for a whole lot of matches but is more about the presentation of characters & stories with good production and the occasional really high end main event/title match.

It's essentially a territory. It has an old school vibe to it. Like Goc said story telling with payoffs . The underneath workers all are apt at building a story with sound psychology . It's my favorite promotion going today. The booking and announcing are what it's best at. They're making happen on a shoestring budget. Lee is the Ace who elevates all the workers he wrestles. Though everyone has a distinct personality.

I reviewed CWF Mid-Atlantic #86 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2017/01/cwf-mid-atlantic-worldwide-ep-86-142017.html

Overall thoughts: The show was fun overall. The matches were a bit too quick but on the other hand didn't have enough time to be bad or get stale. Maybe that's the key? The crowd was pretty hot all show and the main event was a solid match. You don't really need to see anything but the main here but in all it was a fun hour of pro wrestling with a hot crowd, people who mostly look like pro wrestlers and solid commentary.

Some shots from the show:

i.gif

1-10-2017%2B2-21-50%2BPM.png

Do CWF shows sell out? It isn't the end of the world for me to get my ticket in advance, but I am probably going to wait till the day of to see if the weather is good enough to come off the mountain without much hassle. Would I be ok to get my ticket at the door or should I just get one in advance to be safe.

It's a small building so take that as u will.

I would say with the Hardy factor, this one will be close to selling out in advance.

I would say with the Hardy factor, this one will be close to selling out in advance.

Are the Hardys on the 21st card? I know they are there on the 29th.

Are the Hardys on the 21st card? I know they are there on the 29th.

You are right, I would think you are probably ok waiting until day of then but it is tough to say since they just had their biggest house and you can't really get a gauge of the retention rate from that.

Enjoyed the CWF show again quite a bit this week. I've never watched them before this week and now I'm all in. Thanks to Dylan for directing me towards these guys.

Yeah I'm on board for a couple of months now. Lots of good will built up on that two shows from BattleCade.

That multi man match just made my day, there was too much fun and cool characters to not love it.

Thunder Rosa vs. Shotzi Blackheart (Face/Heel, 1/7): I reckon that Face/Heel Wrestling is the same group out of Texas who promote as Wrestle Circus? I quite liked the Victoria crowd and the building they were in. This had a good spirit to it: neither is a great technician, but they work hard and the crowd digs it. A fan even helps with one of the spots, illustrating one of the bigger difference between indies and WWE right now. Rosa cuts an odd promo up top, but there’s some humor to it, and it’s like they show good instincts of what to do dramatically in the moment even if the mechanics of it are still being developed. Shotzi's gimmick is a bit too AJ Lee for me, but there's some charisma there that could get her working in bigger promotions in time.

Thunder Rosa vs. Shotzi Blackheart (Face/Heel, 1/7): I reckon that Face/Heel Wrestling is the same group out of Texas who promote as Wrestle Circus? I quite liked the Victoria crowd and the building they were in. This had a good spirit to it: neither is a great technician, but they work hard and the crowd digs it. A fan even helps with one of the spots, illustrating one of the bigger difference between indies and WWE right now. Rosa cuts an odd promo up top, but there’s some humor to it, and it’s like they show good instincts of what to do dramatically in the moment even if the mechanics of it are still being developed. Shotzi's gimmick is a bit too AJ Lee for me, but there's some charisma there that could get her working in bigger promotions in time.

Shotzi's hair isn't the only thing about her that is green but, you are correct her charisma and work ethic is going to take her far she already got put on the main show based on her work at the 1st Rise seminar and now will seemingly be used regularly for the company most likely leading to a roster spot with Shimmer. I've seen her a few times live now & seen her in attendance for a lot of wrestling shows in CA she's really working hard and I think it will pay off for her sooner rather than later.

Thunder on the other hand I can take of leave but she seems to just keep getting opportunities

Shotzi's hair isn't the only thing about her that is green but, you are correct her charisma and work ethic is going to take her far she already got put on the main show based on her work at the 1st Rise seminar and now will seemingly be used regularly for the company most likely leading to a roster spot with Shimmer. I've seen her a few times live now & seen her in attendance for a lot of wrestling shows in CA she's really working hard and I think it will pay off for her sooner rather than later.

Thunder on the other hand I can take of leave but she seems to just keep getting opportunities

I reviewed this match here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2017/01/heelface-wrestling-172017-thunder-rosa.html

I thought the match was pretty good. Rosa's submission game is really good and anchored the match. The stuff they hit looked like it hurt.

Both of the girls were really good in getting the crowd involved in the match and in the WWE/NJPW world, where everything is so over-produced, you don't get to see that stuff. A few years ago, I went to an All Japan house show along with the NJPW Tokyo Dome and a bunch of other promotions. You know why AJPW was the best show of that trip? Because they made us a part of the match. The heels messed with us, the faces fought for us and it felt like we(as in the crowd) mattered. Looking back, I don't remember many of the shows I went to, but I remember that.

Shotzi is definitely green, but she already has the full package and is probably ready for NXT. She has charisma and she has the look. Just google her and she honestly stands out more than any girl on the WWE roster. The one thing I really loved about All Japan Women's was that most of their roster looked like superstars. People like Hokuto and Nakano had iconic looks. Shotzi while not being quite as iconic, stands out. This is something I really want to see wrestling focus on more, because most wrestlers look like each other right now.

I really recommend checking this one out. I haven't felt so involved in a match in a long time.