Pro Wrestling Only

Southern Indie Thread

Dylan Waco

If you haven't watched the final episode of CWF's BattleCade I would strongly advise it. Two completely different and excellent matches in Arik Royal v. Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee v. Brad Attitude. There is a bit of a split over the finish of Attitude v. Lee with some loving it and some thinking it didn't work that I'd love to see people's thoughts on here. Johnny P put together a great video covering the Lee/Attitude feud (my feud of the year last year) which helps with some of the context for those who want to make the full investment.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Royal/Everett was really good. I loved the powerbomb from the ceiling spot. I'm not sure that's something I've seen before? I really liked the Attitude/Lee match (I would rank it a little higher than Royal/Everett). I loved how Attitude started the match. He was tapping the bottle on his forehead, then took a seat daring Lee to take his shot. With the title on the line with a Lee DQ, I thought that was pretty great. It reminded me of Memphis in some ways. I liked the work on the possibly broken finger, and how that came into play with the broken bottle towards the end. The finish didn't bother me, I mean now Attitude still has something to complain about coming out of this. You get the Lee moment of him getting the win he's wanted for so long, but you also have somewhere to go coming out of it. Overall, I thought this was a good showing from all four guys. I was entertained throughout and enjoyed the show.

What blew me away about the main event was the storytelling. I was all in one the heel using the rules to try to get Lee DQ'ed for an easy title win or to kill out the time for a draw, which also gave him the title. Just brilliant stuff. I think I could had fit it in on my Top 10 MOTY list for VOW, if I didn't submit it earlier.

I just started watching CWF a few weeks ago and I can't say enough about this group. I'm seriously thinking about ways to make it from Chicago to NC for a show because I'm so impressed. Whoever the brains is behind this thing clearly has a love of old-school wrestling, but also a feel for what works in 2017. That's so hard to find. It's the best low-budget TV show since 95-96 ECW, really impressive how good it looks. I see big things for them in the future if they can get some buzz.

If you haven't watched the final episode of CWF's BattleCade I would strongly advise it. Two completely different and excellent matches in Arik Royal v. Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee v. Brad Attitude. There is a bit of a split over the finish of Attitude v. Lee with some loving it and some thinking it didn't work that I'd love to see people's thoughts on here. Johnny P put together a great video covering the Lee/Attitude feud (my feud of the year last year) which helps with some of the context for those who want to make the full investment.

The Everett vs. Royal match was kind of just there for me although I did like the big spot at the end. I thought the Trevor Lee vs Brad Attitude match was REALLY good though. Really violent and they did a good job of playing off of all the stipulations. I liked the finish but I could see where someone might not like it if they hadn't watched that video covering the whole feud before watching the match. Luckily I decided to do that first and so the whole thing really worked for me.

Had an absolute blast at the tapings last night. It was a show without the heaviest of hitters (Lee and Everett), but it was fantastic, such a good, fun experience.

I am looking forward to going back.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I'm totally going to try to make a show this year.

I also finished BattleCade this week and came away with positive feelings about the show and promotion (I had mostly just watched the Lee title matches as opposed to whole shows).

As for picking between the final two matches, I probably liked the main event a touch more because they wrung so much out of what could have been a convoluted stip. And the announcers did such a good job explaining why the match paid off the rivalry that it almost didn't matter whether I'd followed it all year. The finish struck me as perhaps a step too clever with the ref running in to get his revenge instead of Lee just transcending Attitude's chicanery. But that may be a case where I would've enjoyed it more if I had a better grasp of the ref as a character.

I also quite liked the semi-main. Very aggressive performance from Everett, and I fucking love Arik Royal. He clearly has the presence and the killer offense to stand out in the bigger indies, though I'm not sure he's interested in leaving the region. .

I really enjoyed the Chet Sterling vs Cain Justice match from this weeks Worldwide. It was a really smart worked match. Told an excellent story.

Yeah, that match was a lot of fun, probably the best match of the taping. The big tag scramble thing at the end was a blast, lots of good markout moments, but Sterling vs Justice was tops. Aside from just being wildly entertained by White Mike the whole evening, Cain Justice was the biggest take away/discovery for me being relatively new to the product.

Edit: Ohhh and Mance Warner was actually an early standout live. Not only did he have an excellent jacket he was quite entertaining and solid in his match. Even before the match, he was a nice way to start the show.

Is the Lee-Wilkins match worth the commitment? Saw it did pretty well in the VOW poll, but 105 minutes? That's a high bar to leap over.

It is a commitment but I would say it is worth the investment if you are following CWF-MA going forward as so much of the current storyline really originated in that match.

• 4 weeks later...

Really heavily recommend you all check out the main event of this week's CWF Mid-Atlantic episode, it's the next chapter in the Lee-Attitude feud. I enjoyed this match so much. I don't know who is behind this group and teaching these guys to work so snug and to have such clever match layouts, but God bless them for the work they're doing.

The CWF taping last night was a TON of fun. I am eventually going to do a ful writeup of it with my buddy, but a few quick notes. (only one small spoiler)

We wound up sitting near a huge group of frat guys who were clearly there as at least a pseudo joke and snuck drinks in. CWF staff handled it beautifully. They warned the noisiest of them and then wound up having to kick them out. They took none of their nonsense and were not letting them ruin the experience for anyone, especially the families there. My hat is off to them.

Cain Justice vs Dominic Garrini was a fantastic little match. I am a pretty big Cain Justice fan and Garrini is a guy I really look forward to seeing more of. I bought "Bone Collector" shirt from Garrini that has the most pro wrestling design. He has a ton of talent has a really quiet, serious charisma.

Alex Daniels vs Chip Day was - until the main event - the show stealer. They were tight, snug, and athletic. They really got the crowd going. I came out big fans of both men.

Both Kernodle tag tournament qualifiers were fun and got teams I am excited to see in the tourny... in the tourny.

The main event was a load of fun. It didn't progress quite like I thought, but it was very smartly put together and compelling throughout Day and Lee had a bonkers sequence in the middle that was probably the most exciting thing of the night, even if it was a little excessive. The whole thing was awesome wrestling. The aftermath - as is always the case with CWF - kept things moving and kept people hooked.

This was my wife's second live pro wrestling experience and she had a really good time.

Overall - a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my tickets for night two of the Kernodle cup a few days ago and they just recently announced Chip Day vs Trevor Lee. Now that is something to look forward to. This is the kinda match that gets the kids jumping up and buzzing MOTY before it even happens, especially if you saw them together in the 6 pack challenge match.

I am really looking forward to this show.