Pro Wrestling Only

Southern Indie Thread

Dylan Waco

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made it to the Kernoble Cup - Night 2 last night and it was absolutely bonkers fun. CWF really put together a strong, logical, and entertaining tournament. It as booked beautifully. I didn't get to see night one, but a coherent two night tournament seems like it is really in CWF's wheelhouse, so I imagine there were some good throwbacks to that and solid coherence through the weekend. This was my first introduction to a number of these teams and individuals and I was really impressed, particularly with the Carnies.

The tag tournament was fun and really good, but everything sits in the shadow of the Chip Day vs Trevor Lee title match. What a fucking match... christ. I have been to my share of shows and that was one of the best live matches I have ever seen. I was jumping out of my seat marking out, legit buying some of the false finishes they were selling. They way they used momentum and crowed expectation at the end to add wrinkles was just outstanding. So good. I'll have to see it again, but I would be surprised if this wasn't my MOTY so far once I do. I can't wait for this to hit the interwebs.

I am going to do a write up on it later, so I may return to throw some of the high points of the evening on here.

Chip v Trevor was master class. Genius match. My current MOTY. Sorry I didn't meet you at the show, unless I did and you were the person I briefly talked to about Cain v Dom. The tournament ruled. Night one was very good, with Lynch Mob v Carnies stealing the show. CWF is the best promotion on earth.

I am not on the twitter machine... is it getting lots of love there?

Dylan was raving about it and even though we sometimes differ on tastes on other stuff, we usually align really close with CWF. Bruce Mitchell said it was a ***** match. All of the workers on the show are talking about how incredible it was. Only thing I can think from CWF that rivals it was after EVerett vs. Lee last year and that turned out to be an incredible match and comfortably in my top 10 for the whole year.

Dylan, nope... not me.

Soup, I think - on live review - it was every bit the match Lee/Everett was form last year, and that was also in my top 10 and got 3.75 ninja stars from me. I currently threw ****3/4 snowflakes at this. I am always a little skeptical of my own live review, but I would be shocked if this didn't land right around that area.

Last night, I watched the most recent weekly youtube tv from CWF. It was my first show, and I really enjoyed it. From the look of the studio - including the flags! - to the southern accents on everyone to the great wrestler names to the girl doing the ad for the upcoming show, the whole thing felt very old school with a modern twist. (I dug the Carnies faction promo, too. Creepy!)

The main action was the big 6-man elimination match, and it was filled with great fun and drama. I thought there was a lot of Japan influence, interestingly, especially in the kick and forearm exchange segment with Trevor v Chip. But aside from the nasty head-drop, which wisely ended the match, I didn't see a lot of modern indie flippy. They used all 6 guys well, and I could tell their various histories played a part. That's good commentary and match layout.

I wasn't crazy about Trevor Lee saying after the match that he does this to impress the crowds. (I can well imagine how Cornette would respond to such a promo.) But otherwise, the closing segment was great, with the heel beatdown and insulting beer drinking. I think one of them should have dumped beer onto Lee instead of just putting the bottle next to him. But maybe they were trying to keep the ring clean for more tv taping matches?

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the debut of Southern Underground Pro in Nashville, TN last night. From a live perspective, I think the match of the night for me was probably Kerry Awful vs. Dom Garini vs. Curt Stallion. At the end of the night, Stallion ended up taking the gold home as the first ever Bonestorm Champion. The standout guys for me were The Carnies (Nick Iggy and Kerry Awful), but I loved the hell out of a match between Dom Garini and a guy with a Yale gimmick (I hate I don't remember his name). Anyways, fun stuff - looking forward to going back when they run again. They say the show will be free online within a week or so, likely YouTube or dailymotion.

• 1 month later...

So this weekend Big Mike Elgin is coming to the Sportatoriam to challenge Trevor Lee for the CWF Title on a Modern Vintage wrestling show. I am not always a huge Elgin fan, but this has BIG TIME written all over it. The show is actually pretty solid on the whole. I really looking forward to it.

Keep an eye out for that Elgin/Lee match when it hits the intertubes. It was lights-out good. I am not quite sure I would put it with the Lee/Day match, just a half notch below that. Elgin really gave it a big fight, super fight feel. There were a few little awkward moments and spots that I nitpicked a bit, but it might actually come off better on the screen because I feel like Elgin was working to a bigger room. Again, that is just picking because the match was fantastic. Elgin sold gradually beat the hell out of Lee. Plenty of oh-shit moments, great execution. I can see myself liking this more on second watch. Lee produces another great match in the sportatoriam... surprise!

I caught Daniels/Lee on the Saturday Night episode. I think it was worked earlier on to play into the parody theme with the over the top stalling, etc. and because of that, it's remarkable that they shifted gears just enough (while not REALLY leaving the theme until the very end) to really get Daniels over as a commodity. At the end of the day, that's going to be the most important thing. As with most Lee matches I've seen, there were a lot of smart call backs and bits of foreshadowing all based around his usual moves and inclinations, which is all appreciated. There were two clear bits of heat and I thought the transition out of the first was hugely unique (I've never seen an Octopus as a transition spot and it worked really well). Likewise, the transition to comeback in the second, being Lee basically hulking up worked really well, fit the match and the theme, and frankly, the promotion. Lots of really good stuff.

The last five minutes were downright horrific though. I mean that in a literal sense. It was the pro wrestling equivalent of a Tales from the Crypt story. There was a moment where everything changed. I could feel it coming too. After Lee got cut off after his second comeback, there was one lone woman in the crowd clapping to trying to get him going again (and he's very good at playing into that in a way most babyfaces in 2017 aren't), but no one else was clapping along at a point of the match where it should have been the most organic thing and should have really carried him up into a last comeback and the finish, whatever reversal driven thing it might be. Instead, they went right into this ridiculous strike exchange, the sort where one strike builds the momentum to flip the wrestler around so he can hit his spin kick or whatever, and that knocks a guy against the rope so he can hit his big boot and no one sells any of it for a minute or so. And then, as they brought this twisted bit of ridiculous Japan-inspired rigmarole into a perfectly enjoyable southern-style indy, the crowd, as if stricken by a profane curse started chanting "This is Awesome!" It was a fucking "Indian, surrounded by trash, cries a tear" moment. They spent another four minutes or so trading bombs until the match ended with a belabored STF set up.

• 4 months later...

People need to watch the Arick Royal vs Snooty Fox brass knucks on a pole match on this weeks Worldwide. The post match is insane.

I 100% second this statement. Honestly the opening tag match with Cain Justice/Ethan Sharpe vs. Dirty Daddy & Faye Jackson is also worth your time but you absolutely need to check out the main event.

The CWF Rumble was even better than I could have imagined. The under card was a lot of fun. Which will be airing this Wednesday. The Rumble was great. My thoughts are going to be vague as not to spoil things for people who haven't watched it. They played upon it's history right off the back with 1 and 2. Actually history was weaved throughout. Their were so many great moments and performances. People were built and elevated. Their were big angles set up in it, and some subtle things that will hopefully lead to nice payoffs. Again nice call backs with some of the surprise entrants. It's really awesome how they weave their history. Even stuff you knew that was coming like the All-Stars being murders row for Lee was handled in a way I didn't expect. That was tremendous. They took the expected, but twisted it in a way I didn't see coming. Then let's talk raw emotion. I was physically shot and emotionally drained when it was over. My voice is still a wreck 2 days later. The final 10-15 minutes were just a total roller coaster of emotion. I was feeling one way, then another, and when it was over I had another feeling. The emotion in the building was raw, and most importantly organic and real. Live it felt like an easy 4 1/2* match.

• 2 weeks later...

How great was the CWF Rumble, huh? Simple battle royale storytelling with an emphasis on continuity. Only see the highly pimped Lee title defenses but the backgrounds were very clear with all these guys. Never any stretches of guys just hanging by the ropes either. Well paced and really tense towards the end with some amazing storytelling moments.

The thing with Stallion is hes all over. Hes worked a ton in ACW Austin, fun bout with Dutt at Nova Pro. On the recent Sup show him and Janella go around 45 minutes. Though his most high profile stuff might be in Glory Pro.

Awesome. Looks like some of that stuff is on HighSpots.