Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-07-27-Houston Wrestling] Jack Brisco vs The Spoiler

shoe

This was a great match. Both guys skills were on display here. The early part is they work a standing headlock. This was well worked with both guys working and reacting to it. This was so well done. The Spoiler did so many neat touches like putting his foot on the rope for leverage. Eventually Jack counters it and begins working the Spoiler's back. He's stomping away at the back. Turns him into the Boston Crab. Jack moves up into the headlock. Spoiler escapes and takes it to the ropes and uses them to inflict pain on Jack's neck. The story has been pretty simple with Spoiler focusing all of his offense on Jack's neck. You know the motto chop off the head, the body will fall. Spoiler furthers the story by snapping Jack's neck off the rope. Jack is selling this all great and fighting underneath . You really seeing Jack as the blueprint to the Steamboats and Martels of the world. Now Spoiler goes for the claw. Brisco is great at selling the claw. Eventually he counters it with an atomic leg breaker to get him some seperation. Now Jack is working over the leg with leg dives and other effective work. Jacks looks to be going for the Figure 4. Spoiler is fighting him so Jack has to go for the 1/2 crab instead. Not to be out done Spoiler goes for the claw, Jack counters by attacking the leg . The battle here is super intense. Jack turns it into the Figure 4. The finishes of the falls are interesting. If you're a fan of working holds this match has it in spades. 3 3/4*

• 1 year later...

I really appreciate the way the Spoiler uses his physicality. He's a huge, muscular dude but also a great athlete and he incorporates those attributes to enhance everything he does. He uses his length to gain leverage in holds as well as anyone and when he perches on the top rope, waiting to leap there is a sinister quality to it. Like he's a beast stalking his prey. It's really awesome.

There were a lot of moments where I expected a fall to take place based on how the match progressed and the expected 2/3 structure but instead we got false finishes around submissions that the fans bought as potential falls too. I don't know if the actual falls made for a better match but it was interesting and fun. Really good match.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1979-07-27-Houston Wrestling] Jack Brisco vs The Spoiler
  • 7 months later...

Jack Brisco vs The Spoiler - Houston 7/27/79

The Spoiler could be my new favorite wrestler. Helluva performance from him against the former world champion. He works a ***** headlock against Brisco. Check out how wide his base during the hold. The announcer does a great job pointing out that rather than having his fingers clasped he was holding on above his wrist for extra leverage and a tighter hold. Brisco was selling like a million bucks in the hold. Tons of great struggle. Seriously this was five minutes of excellent headlock work. Maybe my favorite headlock work ever. Brisco gets some holds and shots in here and there, but cant really build any momentum. Spoiler is a great heel. Jaw-jacking with the ref. Tons of cheating. Knee on the throat. Using the ropes for leverage. A great top rope move. He looked awesome in this. I know we dont have much Spoiler but thats a shame because he looked great here. Spoiler's finish is The Claw! Again great Claw work they really milk it and make you believe Brisco is in trouble. Brisco gets a kneecrusher. Now it is a race. The Claw vs Figure-4. Spoiler blocks the Figure-4 ends up in a single leg crab. Amazing selling by Spoiler, high drama. He reaches back and uses the hair to pull Brisco down back into the Claw. Gary Hart is Spoiler's  manager and he has been liberally interfering and distracting. Brisco breaks the Claw because Spoiler does not have a good angle. FIIGURE-4! Lots of drama. I love how the Spoiler pulls the ref to him and is totally freaking out. Hart attacks Brisco but the ref sees and calls for the bell. First fall goes to Jack on DQ.

Brisco beats up Hart (who should really bump better) and O'Connor Roll....1-2-3! Brisco sweeps 2-0. Great structure. The submission work at the end was top notch. The headlock sequence at the beginning should be shown to every aspiring wrestler on how something so simple and can be so effective and entertaining. Eye opening match in how good Spoiler potentially was, great heel in every sense of the word. ****