Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-02-04-WCCW] Ric Flair vs Terry Gordy

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Terry Gordy - WCCW 2/4/83

I thought this match was supposed to be a knock against Flair?!?!?!?! This match is fantastic!!! I really want to hear what people's complaints are. If your complaint is that this should have been so much more. I am sorry, but a 12 minute heel vs heel match is not going to get much better than this. In fact, Flair detractors should love this match because it is not Flair formula at all. It is Flair working de facto face, but with more of a heel edge. It is really cool.

The match begins with Kerry hauling off and smacking Gordy as this is less than two months since that infamous Christmas cage match. Flair takes advantage with big chops and really laying into Gordy. You see Gordy using his strength once he catches Flair to throw him around. Flair is clearly the crowd favorite and we see Flair muscle out of a ab stretch a clear babyface reversal. Flair is a still a heel at heart and he knees him a little low. He Irish Whips him hard leading to Gordy taking the Flair Flip. Now Flair works the back like a total pro even busting out a Boston Crab (Big Go Flair Go chant)! Never seen that one from Flair. Flair with suplexes galore, but Gordy switches one into a sleeper and then a hard punch sends Flair tumbling over the top rope. Flair was having trouble getting Gordy for that last suplex and he paid for it. You see that the story of this match with Flair bringing the fight to Gordy like a babyface, but Gordy's size and power is keeping Gordy in the match. There are some really good slugfests late in this match. You really get that fight feel in this match. Gordy hits his own delayed vertical suplex. Gordy misses the elbow drop and hurts his back! Flair is thinking figure-4, but inside cradle by Gordy and now backslide by Gordy. Even as a babyface, Flair giving Gordy nearfalls. I love Flair slugfests. Kneecrudher! Huge pop for the figure-4! I loved the visual of Flair leaping onto Gordy with a sleeper. Gordy goes to the eyes and in the criss cross Gordy goes crashing into the ropes. Flair pins! HUGE POP IN TEXAS!

Really fun Flair match that a different feel with Flair working de facto babyface. I thought this was Gordy's best performance (I have not rewatched the Khan match I expect that to be number one) in Texas. He was bumping more tastefully and actually working some really great offense mostly punches. Flair excels in long matches and this is a feather in his cap to work a mid-tempo 12 minute match this well. If you have complaints about the match, I would love to discuss them because I thought this was wicked entertaining. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1983-02-04-WCCW] Ric Flair vs Terry Gordy