Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-01-25-NWA-St. Louis, MO] Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich - St. Louis 1/25/85

Pretty standard Flair/Kerry, which a standard most wrestlers dream that could reach and it is pretty damn great. It is just in the Pantheon of Flair/Kerry this is their Greatest Hits. It is a ton of fun. Good Kerry shine with some fun headscissors takedowns and dropkicks. I liked the fake outs into Flair heat like the short knee and the thumb in the eye before we get the real one. We get the Claw, but Flair makes to the outside and Kerry maintains it only for Flair to smash him into the post. Standard Flair heat segment with cheating and working midsection. We get Kerry sleeper as the hope spot before the splash on the injured midsection and a missed dropkick. They play off the Texas Stadium finish then Flair says stop fucking around and hits a kneecrusher. Kerry kicks him off a couple times, but Flair stays on the leg. Some really good Flair leg work. Flair goes for the Figure-4 and its the CLAW~! I love the Claw as a counter to the Figure-4. Flair makes it to the ropes and attacks the leg, but he is press slammed off the top. Kerry Figure-4. Kerry is pouring it on, but takes a bad bump when they crack heads and Flair flops on top of Kerry for the lucky win. It was really fun and really well-worked, but there were no new wrinkles really. It is Flair/Kerry, I fucking love it and never ceases to entertain. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1985-01-25-NWA-St. Louis, MO] Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich
  • 2 years later...

Great match. I agree this is a bit greatest hits for these two but they absolutely shine together. The main thing that drew me into this match were the teases. There were multiple points that usually signify momentum changes and they held off on them here. The finish was also well done by saying Flair got lucky but him as the NWA champ, he can twist it to saying he was resourceful. ****1/4 (8.3)