Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-14-CMLL] Olimpico & Antifaz del Norte & Tarzan Boy vs El Satanico & Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero

soup23

Pretty pumped for lucha in the 2000’s as it feels like a wasteland in regards to recommendations. This starts off with the rudos bullying the tecnicos and Satanico much like Devil Masami in the joshi match earlier still looks spry and devious. Antifaz nearly gets his mask taken off. Buccanero does a big dive into Tarzan Boy to send him to the outside. Finally the rudos win the first fall with a triple submission on Antifaz and a tower slam and senton combo to Olimpico. Satanico in the second fall drags Tarzan Boy by the hair to the floor and then Guerrero slams him on the ramp. This is pure domination. The tecnicos gets their first offense in and take the second fall with pin/flash submission. They are all fired up and we have a big brawl in the entrance way. There is something about this formula in lucha that always gets me invested. Tarzan Boy is really taking a beating as he takes out a row of chairs courtesy of Satanico. Olimpico starts a nice dive train leaving Tarzan and Satanico alone as they have had the most heated issue with each other. Satanico tries a pin attempt with his feet on the ropes but gets caught. Tarzan Boy is then able to pin him hanging on to the middle rope. I dig it. ***

• 5 months later...

I really enjoyed this one and man am I ever getting pumped up for the Satanico vs Tarzan Boy match (that exists, right? Please say it does!!).

This is a really cool version of Los Infernales with Buccanero being the pirate to replace Pirata Morgan and UG being great as always. I love their control segments. The whole match just is fun, especially the later dive sequence.

*** 1/4

I really enjoyed this one and man am I ever getting pumped up for the Satanico vs Tarzan Boy match (that exists, right? Please say it does!!).

Boom

Really good match. Satanico was amazing in this era working with the next generation.

Very excited to get there, holy shit!

To this point, Los Infernales have definitely been the highlight of 2000 CMLL. I really like how they work so efficiently as a unit, and I also liked how their run of dominance was long enough to really matter, so that the technico comeback really meant something. It's formulaic, sure, but there's a reason for the formula in this case: it works! I am still enjoying the Los Infernales vs Tarzan Boy feud especially, and it's good to see El Satanico start off two decades in a row with some really good stuff. I was a little skeptical of a lot of these matches in spite of the talent involved when I saw the shorter match times, especially compared to 1990s lucha where most of the best trios matches seemed to go 20+ minutes, but so far, most of the matches have had those involved really making the most of the time. ***1/2

I was a little skeptical of a lot of these matches in spite of the talent involved when I saw the shorter match times, especially compared to 1990s lucha where most of the best trios matches seemed to go 20+ minutes, but so far, most of the matches have had those involved really making the most of the time. ***1/2

This is my recollection from watching at the time. Especially in 2001 after Guerrero & Bucanero turn on Satanico. Most weeks you get a 12-18minute long brawling trios match. Its almost like the lucha version of Moondogs vs Fabs with a bunch of really tight/efficient brawls that are all wildly entertaining.

I gotta jump in on this project! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The theme i'm getting from these matches is the tenicos don't really matter and it's all about the rudos. Usually that would bore me like in AAA matches but Los Infernales are so good they make these matches entertaiing. Just a total beatdown the first two falls. I'm almost felt bad for poor Tarzan boy. Loved the finish of the third where he got his payback by doing dirty tricks.

Was this on the same card with that match building up the Atlantis vs. III feud? What a night of wrestling for those fans!

I love how the heel beat-down just goes on and on and on until you are feeling sick for the Technicos and just dying for them to make any kind of comeback. Too much recent wrestling is over-reliant on interviews and sketches to get dudes over as heels. Los Infernales are so very much more effective getting the idea across by their cruelty in the ring.

This is how, say, the Wyatt Family should be wrestling... but I guess it's too important to keep the good guys looking "cool." World needs more Ricky Mortons and Tsuyoshi Kikuchis... and Tarzan Boys.

This was an excellent brawl. It reminded me of the wars that the older Infernales had with Los Intocables and the Brazos in '92-93 before they jumped to AAA. Those were also pared down trios matches with plenty of brawling. Satanico is so good at marshaling these sort of bouts, controlling the action when his team is on top and feeding the tecnicos comebacks. Just another reason why he's one of the greatest of all-time. The sudden victory that the tecnicos score in the second fall is the type of thing that will bug people, but I liked how they had to keep fighting their tails off in the tercera caida and the dive train was fantastic. Tarzan Boy is pretty much Latin Lover plugged into a program with Mocho Cota when it comes to this feud with Satanico but there's nothing like a trios match where the captains are left to duke it out at the end. Tarzan Boy fought fire with fire and justice was done. I'm not expecting Dandy vs. Satanico from the apuesta match, but so far the lead-in is just as good.

This was fantastic.

Satanico was so awesome taking the cheapest of dirty shots during the match. Kicking Tarzan Boy in the knee, throwing kidney punches, pulling his hair the whole time. His slaps to the chest were vicious. And Tarzan Boy is game to take a major beating from the rudo team and they give him a hell of a beating. Los Infernales just unleash a tirade of cool team moves and Tarzan Boy takes a disgusting thrown gut buster that looks like it ruins his stomach.

Technicos get a sudden comeback in the segunda and it leads to them going apeshit in the final fall as it devolves into a brawl and then more of a back and forth battle. The cheapshots and violence between Tarzan Boy and Satanico escalates. There are some great dives including Bucanero's wild one right in front of the seats. Tarzan Boy cheats to win and I am invested in watching where this goes from here. Hatred makes any style of wrestling accessible.

This was more of an appetizer than a fully developed match, but it was a damn tasty appetizer between Los Infernales unleashing hell and the tecnicos delivering a spirited response. I liked Tarzan Boy's willingness to fight dirty with Satanico, and I'm certainly eager to watch them go at it again, which was the point.

Man, how fucking good at the pro wrestling was El Satanico? Los Infernales were an awesome unit of thugs and at times you wondered how the tecnicos could possibly make a comeback, but Satanico was king. He had so many great moments, usually with Tarzan Boy, like kicking him in the kneecaps, dragging him all over the place by the hair (looking like he was really trying to rip it from his scalp), and there was this great bit where he kind of condescendingly dodged TB's shots while TB was being firmly held at bay by Guerrero. It was one of those "whoa there, big guy" moments, where he and everyone else knew TB's attempts were futile. The only thing missing was a sly wink to the camera. He also carried himself like a true badass. There were times where he would take a quick breather from beating on someone to soak in the scene, and even though his stablemates continued to go for blood you knew who the most dangerous man in the match really was. It made the moment in the tercera where he actually decided to bail from the altercation with TB feel huge for the tecnicos; TB in particular. They'd managed to weather the storm and now even Satanico, after bullying and beating them all over the place beforehand, was questioning whether a one on one was smart. Satanico getting his comeuppance at the end was pretty fitting for a finish, too. I liked this a ton.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much left to say about this except I liked this a bunch. I mean if someone were to ask me to explain why the ref allowed the 3 rudos to all be the in the ring together for pretty much the entirety of the first 2 falls I would have no idea how to do that but I mean who cares? The beating they dished out was awesome and by the time the tecnicos finally started to fight back you were ready to see them kick ass. Tarzan Boy doesn't seem to be a GREAT wrestler but he certainly seems good enough to be able to have a damn good apuesta match with Satanico when it finally gets to that. I mean the 1 on 1 with Bucanero was really good on it's own.

This match also featured one of my favorite things in lucha which is seeing a wrestler laid out in a fan's chair and that fan being annoyed by it and trying to shoo him away.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a great trios and liked it even more than the Atlantis / V3 trios on the same card. Los Infernales looked amazing, total badass asskickers for the first half of the match, just eating the technicos alive. When the comeback happens it feels earned and the energy throughoit the match maintains a really high level. Lived the dive train at the end and Tarzan Boy getting the pin while grabbing the rooes was a sweet little bit of poetic justice. Great match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-14-CMLL] Olimpico & Antifaz del Norte & Tarzan Boy vs El Satanico & Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero
  • 3 months later...

Two hateful awesome trios matches on the same show. Guerrero and Bucanero have never been favourites of mine but surprise surprise, pair them with Satanico and I'm all in on dickhead trio greatness. Bucanero holding Tarzan Boy by the hair while he still tries to swing at a cautious but cocky Satanico but was completely great. Los Infernales work pretty tremendously as a team, I really get the impression any opponent who stands near doesn't have a chance of getting anywhere. They're fans of doing move-after-move-after-move and not giving a breath to who they're mauling. Case in point when Tarzan Boy got in the ring and thought he could do a whole "bring it!" thing to Guerrero and Satanico right before Bucanero launches at him with a dropkick from the side. Stoopid Tarzan man, pay attention. Satanico is unfathomable at making the mundane look incredible. He yanked Tarzan's hair from outside (pulling Tarzan out to the floor in the process) and you could see his muscles tensing up and his face contorting. I mean I imagine that would have actually just hurt Tarzan too but it looked worse than it was, I'm sure. I was really surprised by how long los Infernales had the match for. Wasn't super impressed with the beginning of the tecnico comeback (Guerrero and Bucanero just, like, stood there so Satanico could get dived on) but the meat of it was a lot of fun. Tarzan kicking Satanico while prone on the floor was awesome and of course Satanico sells it excellently because Satanico. Sometimes I really begin to wonder if the only reason I don't call him the #1 all time best is because I've never compiled a list of footage of his to watch a big heap. And we'd be missing an unfortunately large amount.