Pro Wrestling Only

[2012-02-03-AJPW-Excite Series] Jun Akiyama vs Takao Omori

Superstar Sleeze

AJPW Triple Crown Champion Jun Akiyama vs Takao Omori - AJPW 2/3/12

I will give the Korakuen credit it is still rocking after all these years! Akiyama is probably the best offensive wrestler in the world this decade with the exception of maybe AJ Styles. There is no one I rather see on offense or in a bomb throwing war than Akiyama this decade. The best use of Omori is to have do as little as possible in my opinion. I feel like the first twenty minutes used him perfectly. He threw himself hard into his bumps especially the that dive from the apron into the railing. That was wicked! Akiyama just killed it working the arm. Some of the nastiest armbars ever, throwing the arm into hard steel objects and kneeing the shit out of it. Omori's offense is pretty bad. He outright whiffed on a couple punches and his kneedrop was not dangerous. He laid in his chops. Akiyama was torturing his arm like he was Dicky Murdoch, but Omori was committed to hitting his lariat which bothered me. Akiyama had an incredible burst of offense at one point: superplex, jumping knee into corner, exploder and then a knee to the face. Omori was getting stuff in, but it was not comparable to Akiyama. Omori did hit the Lariat, I would have been pissed if that was the finish. Akiyama hit a MONSTER Jumping Knee to the face to squelch this comeback. Jumbo would have been proud of that knee. Akiyama himself was pretty proud. The follow up knee to the face should have been the finish, but this NOAH/AJPW style there will be excessive knees to the face. Omori is bleeding from the nose. Akiyama hits a suplex I have never seen that is the finish. The ref botches the count and pulls up on three, but the wrestlers wanted that to be the finish then the bell rings which makes me think it was a draw and Korakuen is confused. The graphic says Akiyama won clean.

I don't usually get on botches, but that one really kills the finish. Akiyama on offense was prime stuff. Some of the best arm work ever. Seriously really friggin awesome. Omori sold pretty well for the most part, spotty here and there. The unfortunate thing is they just do the usual AJPW/NOAH finish stretch when it could have been something special. Omori was exposed and it was overkill. Great match, not a classic. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2012-02-03-AJPW-Excite Series] Jun Akiyama vs Takao Omori