Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-09-04-WWC] Ric Flair vs Tommy Gilbert

shoe

You look at this match and you'd guess oh a Memphis match or maybe Kansas City. Nope It's Puerto Rico and it's your World Champ studio match. We've seen Flair have this type of match many times and he's very good at it. Both guys really hit hard here. I loved Gilbert fighting back when Flair was going for the Figure 4. 3*

• 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1982-09-04-WWC] Ric Flair vs Tommy Gilbert
  • 3 years later...

NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs Tommy Gilbert - WWC 9/4/82

I watching a match with four of my top 50 favorite wrestlers in Japan and having a hard time getting into it. I think I may be burnt out. I threw in a curveball. I was going to watch some Flair in Portland but the matches were too long and this one at around ten minutes was perfect. Looking forward to Flair vs Colon. 

Typical Flair by the numbers TV Match. If youre a Flair fan like me, youll love it and it is Chicken Soup for your soul. If you dont like Flair you can skip. I thought the Wendell Cooley Mid-South TV match from 1985 that I watched recently was even better but you cant wrong with this. The shine was Flair losing a Test of Strength and taking a hiptoss. He chops Gilbert a good bunch, throws him out of the ring, nice delayed vertical. Gilbert's only highspot seemed to be the dropkick. Flair hit the Belly to Back Suplex for two. Gilbert got in a dropkick, missed the second which wrenched his knee in a tree of woe. Figure-4->tapout. Before the match Flair cuts a promo on the Invader with a Spanish translator that was good shit. It is Flair touring TV studio wrestling and its in Puerto Rico, pretty cool. ***1/4