Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-08-20-WWE-NXT Takover: Brooklyn II] Asuka vs Bayley

GOTNW

I like pro wrestling that preserves the struggle of a fight, even if it is one often resembling action/boxing/martials arts movie scenes more than an actual real competition or a fight. I don't like pro wrestling where the workers struggle to simulate the fight itself, and if you're not bothered by the sloppiness that is still very much present in many of these matches, well, good for you. But I'm having trouble taking Bayley seriously when she messes up very basic looking spots. The match was fine-Bayley got some solid shine early on and then we transitioned into a cool control segment where Asuka nailed Bayley with a brutal knee and kept cutting Bayley off every time Bayley attempted a comeback. Asuka really nailed some sharp kicks in here, it was a joy to watch. Unfortunately Bayley's comeback was pretty lame, slamming someone's head into the the turnbuckle as a comeback works if you're a tecnico and Fuerza Guerrera is bumping for you but as a means of vanquishing the biggest badass the NXT women's division has had so far it's not very convincing, especially when the slams themselves don't look especially violent. Bayley's babyface comeback offence of running elbows/kneedrops/legdrops would've been much more efficient if Asuka's control segment laster longer and was used as the actual comeback. Finish was also kinda eye-rolling, didn't really buy into Bayley becoming this huge badass, her acting wasn't there and her daring Asuka to hit her in the face and immediately covering up was just so stupid, it's the kind of stuff that happens when you have Triple H and friends laying out puro machismo tribute spots. Do I even need to explain how stupid no-selling a head kick is after treating it like a KO shot a mere second after? You fire up and barely get to your feet at best after something like that. That would've made for a much better and intruiging finish than what they did. ***

Bayley is probably one of my 5 favorite wrestlers going today. She has incredible timing and pacing in all of her matches, and in this outing we saw her ability to put forth a credible, impactful comeback while still coming up short. Very simple story with Asuka the monster, indestructible champion and Bayley trying to overcome insurmountable odds. I actually think Nia Jax is a better fit in this role, but that takes nothing away from what these two did. I really dug Baylet's two key combacks here, particularly because they were both so short-lived and showed a fire that wasn't really called for in previous big matches with Sasha Banks and Jax.

**** is probably a hair too high, but with the post-match graduation I refuse to go any lower. Very much looking forward to seeing what she can do on the main roster and hope she's given the time and opportunity to deliver.

• 2 months later...

This was super disappointing as I'm probably the biggest fan of their first match in Dallas. Rough performance from Bayley, the worst since the start of her title push the previous summer. Asuka looked tentative after a strong start, neither her strike not submission looked all that good. Bayley just wasn't able to recapture the magic two years in a row.

• 11 months later...

NXT Women's Champion Asuka vs Bayley -NXT Takeover: Brooklyn

Bayley is so insanely over it's scary. She is one of the few characters of the modern times that moves me emotionally. You just want her to win so badly.

The story of this match is can Bayley recapture the magic of last year against Sasha because she will need against the undefeated Empress of Tomorrow. I liked how this match contrasted with the previous match. The previous match Bayley was on offense for the majority and just throwing every bomb at the invincible Asuka who had an answer at every turn. Here Bayley looks game early but almost immediately is caught with a knee to the head and has to play catch up the rest of the match. This allows us to see more of that sweet, sweet Asuka offense and this is a more natural role of Bayley. I loved that never say die attitude from Bayley. The ramming of Asukas turnbuckles revved me up. The middle portion was sloppy and awkward. The AJ Styles-slip through the superplex came off awkward. The shoves on the knees were terrible. The powerbomb spot was totally botched and jarring. Which is unfortunate because the beginning and end were great. My Dad walked in during the end and we were both going bonkers.

Bayley going crazy screaming at Asuka to HIT ME IN THE FACE! Catching the backfist into a backslide was great. Bayley laying her shit in and Asuka coming back with the backfists was sick. The false finishes were great! You knew Bayley would get out of the Asuka Lock to convert that into a Bayley 2 Belly was smart. But the real genius was to reverse the Asuka Lock into a pinning combination ala Survivor Series '96 and that I bought into a year after the fact even though I knew Asuka would win. Asuka kicks Bayley right in the head and BAYLEY ROARS ala Kojima in Tenryu 2002 Series was a great no sell moment. Bayley is great at utilizing the no sell. My Dad & I were going bonkers only to have Asuka quash with two swift kicks to the head! Amazing dramatic finish run fit for the heart of NXT.

A real shame how bad the middle was because the ending truly was incredible. Really great sendoff for Bayley and cements Asukas position at the Ace. ****

Finish was also kinda eye-rolling, didn't really buy into Bayley becoming this huge badass, her acting wasn't there and her daring Asuka to hit her in the face and immediately covering up was just so stupid, it's the kind of stuff that happens when you have Triple H and friends laying out puro machismo tribute spots.

I must assume you didn't watch the build to this match, because you're getting the story totally wrong. Of course Bayley is not some huge badass. That's why she lost immediately after doing that.

Bayley got beat by Asuka in Dallas because she was too cautious and afraid of being caught by Asuka's offense. So she spent the whole build of this match saying that she was prepared for and ready to face Asuka this time and acting all badass about it. See the NXT episode where Asuka puts down a chair by the ring so Bayley can watch her match, and Bayley throws it away.

Bayley was putting up a tough girl facade because she thought that's what she needed to do to win. But she was wrong. Her slapping Asuka in the face then immediately covering up when Asuka hits back was telling that story, coz Bayley is not some Shibata-style badass and can't fight on Asuka's terms. She was doomed to lose this match trying to win it like that. Bayley won the NXT title by being a force of genuineness as opposed to Sasha Banks' fake 'The Boss' persona, and now in an ironic twist Bayley succumbed to falling down the same path as Sasha did to lose to the title one year later in the same city.

Do I even need to explain how stupid no-selling a head kick is after treating it like a KO shot a mere second after?

I'm with pol that that was the least stupid no-sell spot in years. Doesn't the 2 follow-up kicks killing her show the initial no-sell was fighting spirit and not a true no sell? Bayley's trying to act all badass thinking that's the way to win the match, wobbling to her feet after getting hit in the face and smacking Asuka back being all "Is that all ya got?" only to find no, Asuka's got plenty more where that came from. The 2nd kick Bayley's in shock, she thought she had this, but now she knows she's beat. And the 3rd kick is KO.

****1/4 for me. Big improvement on their previous match which in hindsight seems just a prelude to this. Mid-section felt a bit pondering but the ending was one of the best final 60 seconds of a match that year and bumps it up a lot.

I agree with your assessment of how amazing the finish was.

I disagree with your evaluation of the Dallas match. Bayley was not cautious at all. So many top rope moves connecting early, the rana to the outside and then the guillotine choke. The story was wanted Bayley recognized the danger of Asuka and she wanted to get out of Dodge fast. In doing so she left herself vulnerable to Asuka's counterwrestling prowress and ultimately succumbed to Asukas superior submission game.

Your point of Bayley failing in Brooklyn due to her not being true to herself was incredible. Great insight!

• GSR changed the title to [2016-08-20-WWE-NXT Takover: Brooklyn II] Asuka vs Bayley