Pro Wrestling Only

Extreme Championship Wrestling

topropepodcast

((the following clip was inserted into the August 26, 1995 episode of Hardcore TV))

Joey Styles stands in front of an ECW banner.

Paul E.: A genesis. A new beginning. That's what you deserve, and that's exactly what you will get. This upcoming Saturday, September 2nd, at the ECW Arena in beautiful downtown South Philly. We're going to kick things off with a match to award our vacant ECW World Tag Team Titles, as one half of the former champions, Raven, will face Tommy Dreamer in a Dream Partners match!

We're also going to see some of the hottest lucha libre action Mexico has to offer, as Rey Misterio Jr. teams up with the Youth Warrior, Juventud Guerrera to face Psicosis and Dr. Wagner Jr.!

We'll have three first round matches in the ECW World Television Title tournament, as former heavyweight for the University of Nebraska Gary Albright takes on The Shah, Hack Myers, and one of the bloodiest fighters to come out of Puerto Rico, free of his cartoon character, TNT, perhaps better known as Savio Vega, takes on "The Outlaw" Joel Deaton! Grizzled veteran "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton will take on one of the best European style wrestlers on this planet today, Dave Taylor!

The hottest tag team out of Japan, five time Asian Tag Team Champions The Can-Am Express will be in action to take on The Dudley Boys, Dances With Dudley and Dudley Dudley!

And a former ECW World Champion will be on-hand to call out the current ECW World Heavyweight Champion, The Sandman!

It's a night you'll never forget, ECW Genesis, live from the ECW Arena! And yes, the TV Cameras will be there!

ECW Owner Paul Heyman was on WMMR Rock 93 in Philadelphia today, talking about the upcoming ECW Genesis event.

Ed Sciaky: 93.3 WMMR, and I'm here with ECW's own Paul E. Dangerously, talking this Saturday night down at the ECW Arena, 2300 South Swanson St. Paul, how are you?

Heyman: I'm good, Ed. Thank you.

Sciaky: Lots of news in the world of wrestling right now, without mincing words, you guys were kind of raided in recent weeks by several other wrestling companies. Do you care to comment on that?

Heyman: To paraphrase Mark Twain, Ed, rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated. It is true that a lot of lower card talent took an extra twenty bucks to go play in Los Angeles or Louisville. Some took offers in Japan, and some are trying up in New York or down in Eric Bischoff's geriatrics club. Do you know what happens when an exodus like that happens? Opportunity. You're going to see some wrestlers on Saturday, some who you've seen before, in Atlanta, in New York, in ECW previously. Some you've never seen before. I'm really excited about the new talent. We've got these kids coming up from Mexico. I went down to Tijuana a few weeks ago to scout talent, and while I was there looking at Rey Misterio Jr. and Psicosis, who stole the show a few months ago at the Super J-Cup in Japan... there were these other talents that just jumped out at me. And it got so extreme at this show, I was looking out for my safety. Have you ever been in a lucha riot Ed?

Sciaky: No, Paul, I can't say that I have.

Heyman: It's not fun, Ed. It's damn scary is what it is!

Sciaky: You've recently had some shots taken at you by Ian Rotten, who's moved out west and started up Revolution Pro Wrestling. Care to comment?

Heyman: To truly give my thoughts on Ian Rotten would get you and your whole station thrown off the air. Rotten is a cockroach who worked for me maybe a dozen times this year. When you thought about ECW, Ian would be, when it comes to importance to the company, somewhere along the lines of Don E. Allen and the Broadstreet Bully. I can understand running scared, running out to Los Angeles, and trying to play promoter, because Ian flat out could not keep up with the talent that we're bringing to ECW. He can do one thing. He can bleed like a stuck pig. He was paid like someone who can do exactly one thing. ECW has for a long time been about being at a show where you can see the best wrestlers in the world and the hardest hits, being truly extreme, and we're going to show you exactly what we're all about Saturday!

Sciaky: Thank you Paul. Don't miss the big show at the ECW Arena this coming Saturday!

A video package airs, focusing on Tommy Dreamer and Raven’s feud, starting in January, and focusing on Dreamer never having pinned Raven. Some of the things focused on are the introduction of Beulah McGillicutty and Cactus Jack’s recent betrayal of Dreamer. It cuts to an interview of Raven, who’s off in a secluded part of the arena with Cactus Jack and Beulah McGillicutty behind him.

Raven: Tommy, you seem to feel that I only exist to bring you pain and suffering, and you might be right. Tommy, before the night is over, you will feel my pain. You will finally understand the full levity of your sins, and you will atone. Tommy, your pride blinds you. I could set yourself free. Free yourself of your pride and submit to Raven. Quoth the Raven, Nevermore.

The camera cuts to Dreamer, in front of an ECW banner.

Tommy Dreamer: I’m not surprised that you have a partner tonight, Raven, in that lap dog Cactus. I have a partner. And I think he’ll be a natural fit. You can quoth all you want, but tonight, Raven, the pain you should worry about is to your (censored) head when I drive it through a chair.

The ECW Opening, set to “Thunderkiss ‘65” by White Zombie plays, and then we cut to Joey Styles, who’s high up in the Eagle’s Nest of the ECW Arena.

Joey Styles: If you missed ECW Genesis, live at the ECW Arena, then I hope you were in the hospital or in jail, because this is a night ECW fans will be talking about for a long, long time!

On tonight’s show, we go back to that fateful night at the ECW Arena, and we will see one of the newest signings to ECW, who was a Big 8 Heavyweight Champion at the University of Nebraska, Gary Albright, is going to take on “The Shah” Hack Myers. This is a first round match in the ECW World Television Title Tournament.

And then, in a match you won’t believe, Raven and Tommy Dreamer face off in a Dream Partners match for the ECW World Tag Team Titles! Raven has picked Cactus Jack as his partner. Who will Dreamer pick? Let’s go straight to the action!

Hack Myers is already in the ring. “March of the Pigs” by Nine Inch Nails plays and out comes Gary Albright.

GARY ALBRIGHT vs. HACK MYERS

I’m sure Hack meant well when signing up for this tournament, but I don’t think he realized that he would be face to face with 350 pounds of bad news in Gary Albright. Albright probably could have won this match in three minutes, but you could tell there was a certain mean streak, a certain sadistic nature that had Albright extend the match, and after 8 minutes of pain, the referee finally called for the bell. Albright hit a snap German Suplex and then locked on the STF. Myers was out, just not moving, and the referee called for the bell.

Joey Styles is backstage.

Joey Styles: We’re going to go to our main event for tonight’s show. New ECW World Tag Team Champions were crowned in this Dream Partners match between Raven and Tommy Dreamer. You won’t believe what happens. Let’s get to the ring!

“Come Out and Play” by the Offspring brings out Raven and Cactus Jack, along with the lovely Beulah. Raven sits in his trademark corner while waiting on his opponents. “Even Flow” by Pearl Jam plays and here comes Tommy Dreamer. He doesn’t get in the ring, but rather, waits in the aisle. “Give Me Back My Bullets” by Lynyrd Skynyrd starts over the sound system, and here comes… OH MY GOD, his partner is “The American Nightmare” Dustin Rhodes! The Grandson of a Plumber is in ECW!

RAVEN and CACTUS JACK vs. TOMMY DREAMER and DUSTIN RHODES

This was a brawl that just really got some juices going, as every man involved got bloody fighting all over 2300 Swanson. Dreamer with a piledriver outside of the ring, hitting Raven. Raven with a DDT through a stop sign onto Rhodes. When it all appeared like Dreamer and Rhodes were going to win, Dreamer, bloody, beaten, and bruised, had Raven in a similar physical situation and down in the middle of the ring. He goes to cover Raven, and Beulah comes into the ring and pulls him off! She just saved the match for Raven and Jack! Dreamer, his eyes wide in anger, grabs her by the head, but just as this happens, the lights in the ECW Arena turn off! They come back on, and OH MY GOD, Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko are standing in the middle of the ring! Those guys just walked out of the company last week! Benoit has a chair, and just levels Tommy Dreamer! He goes to cover him, but referee Jim Molineaux refuses to count the pin, after which Malenko just lays out the ref with a strong right hand! Benoit goes to cover again, and… here comes Fonzie! Bill Alfonso is in the ring! He counts, 1, 2, and Dreamer kicked out somehow! Benoit grabs Dreamer, hits a Dragon Suplex, and as Malenko fights off Raven and Cactus, this gets the three! Benoit and Malenko, who weren’t even in this match, are the new ECW World Tag Team Champions! What compelled Fonzie to get involved? What the hell is going on here!?

(short show this week. I'm in a transitional period at work where I'm balancing two jobs. In a couple of weeks, we'll be back to normal.)

To open the show, Joey Styles, via the help of a voiceover, takes us to last week’s episode, where a tag team match featuring Tommy Dreamer and Dustin Rhodes facing Raven and Cactus Jack ended in Benoit and Malenko returning to ECW and with the help of Fonzie, winning the ECW World Tag Team Titles. We then see the opening video to Hardcore TV, set to “Thunderkiss ‘65” and cut straight to the ring, where, in the aftermath of last week’s main event, Fonzie is still in the ring. Tod Gordon comes rushing down with a mic in his hand.

Gordon asks Fonzie what the hell he was doing, and Fonzie responded that he was cleaning up ECW, one lowlife at a time. Gordon says that he’s going to have Alfonso’s referee license for this, that it will be over. Fonzie responded that Gordon was slow on the upkeep. Tonight is the last night he’ll have his referee license, because he’s voluntarily given it up. The crowd pops, until Fonzie continues that it’s because he can’t have a referee license and a managerial one from the same athletic commission. And as soon as he says that, Gary Albright is right behind Gordon, and hits a snap German Suplex on him! Alfonso introduces his new client, the human wrecking ball and the next ECW World Television Champion, Gary Albright!

In an ECW World Television Title Tournament match, Bobby Eaton beat Dave Taylor in a scientific match with the Alabama Jam. This was a solid match between two vets who still wanted that big run. Styles put Eaton over as the best tag team wrestler of all time. They shook hands after the match.

Joey Styles announced that Tod Gordon has been taken to the hospital, but that there have been a few announcements made about the next time we’re at the ECW Arena, on September 23. Paul E. Dangerously is filling in as matchmaker while Gordon recovers. While ECW is unable to override the referee’s decision, Benoit and Malenko will have to defend the ECW World Tag Team Titles against Tommy Dreamer and Dustin Rhodes! We also have footage we’re excited to show, the night Lucha Libre came to ECW, that will be up next, but it was so awesome we’re announcing a return, as in “trios” action, Rey Misterio Jr. and Juventud Guerrera team up with the Canadian Tiger, Mike Lozansky to face Psicosis, Dr. Wagner Jr., and Vampiro Canadiense! There are more announcements to come, but you don’t want to miss the action on the 23rd! Come see it live!

Rey Misterio Jr. and Juventud Guerrera beat Dr. Wagner Jr. and Psicosis. Styles put over this as something that will define ECW going forward. And it was a tremendous match, that will be on video highlight packages going forward. The finish was as Psicosis went for a Splash Mountain off the top, Rey Jr. countered with a hurricanrana for the win!

“Perfect Strangers” by Deep Purple played as the crowd went nuts, and Shane Douglas is back in the ECW Arena! He came down to the ring with a microphone, talked about how good it was to be back. That “the Dean” was dead and buried exactly where he should have been! And he’s here for one reason, and that one reason is the ECW World Heavyweight Title! Sandman, never one to back down from a challenge, hit the ring. He said to name the time and the place, and Shane Douglas responded “How about tonight?” Sandman responded with a strike to the head with his trusty Singapore cane!

Styles announced that we’ll see that match next week!

The show kicks off with a review of the last couple of weeks, first touching on Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko shockingly returning to ECW, winning the ECW World Tag Team Titles in a match they weren't even involved in, Bill Alfonso giving up his referee license to manage “The Human Wrecking Ball” Gary Albright, Albright savagely attacking Tod Gordon, putting him on the shelf, and Shane Douglas returning to the ECW Arena to challenge the Sandman for the ECW World Title!

We go to Joey Styles, who runs down this week's big show, 3 big matches tonight, but before much else, he has a video featuring... the 1-2-3 Kid?

Kid: When you grow up in Minnesota, you have a dream. That dream is to wrestle in front of big crowds, originally, in the AWA, but when I was 12 years old, the WWF came to town, man, and that was (censored) it, man. So you work your ass off, and you finally get a shot. You're in town, doing some job duty, and someone takes a shine to you. So you get a spot, and you take every advantage of it. You make it one of the most memorable moments of all time!

Kid: You keep improving, you become the best guy in the damn company night after night. You want to work with Shawn, but “you're a little guy”, you want to really push for a team with Scott or to do something with Kev, but because I'm not 6'5 and juiced to the (censored) gills, I'm not what Vince is looking for. I'm an underneath guy. I'm someone who was told to go out and work with the Japanese guy and count some lights every night from one side of the country to the next! My dream became a (censored) nightmare!

Kid: So the “Kid” name? It's gone. Never really fit. I'm a grown man. I might not be the biggest man, but I promise you, now that there's no Vince, no Pat, no political forces at bay, the world will see just how big my talent is. How big my heart is. You will see, next week, just what “Lightning” Sean Waltman can do.

TNT vs. Joel Deaton

“The Outlaw” is an internationally tested ring veteran, but he was no match for the violent Puerto Rican. Between the painted face and the inherent violence he brought with him, the former Savio Vega was almost unrecognizable. He just sadistically beat up Deaton and finished him off with the Painkiller, a superkick.

The Sandman is backstage with thoughts on tonight's match. He says that lately, he's had some (censored) in his ear, manipulating him, because he didn't think he was strong enough to stand on his own. But he's the ECW World Champion, and he's going to send Shane Douglas back crawling to New York, where he belongs.

The Can-Am Express vs. the Dudley Brothers

Joey laments the loss of Sign Guy and Big Dick, but says that if he knows the Dudleys like he thinks he does, he's sure more of these weirdos will turn up in time. The finely tuned team of Kroffat and Furnas didn't give the rather odd pair of brothers a chance in this match, and finished the extended squash with the Express finishing them off with a Super DDT.

The Sandman vs. Shane Douglas

The crowd was rabid for this fairly impromptu ECW World Heavyweight Title match. Douglas used every short cut he could in trying to take the title, and that included throwing up the three fingers, which resulted in Benoit and Malenko getting involved! Benoit, for the second time in recent weeks, used a steel chair to have a major impact on a championship match, just bludgeoning Sandman, and drawing a lot of blood. This allowed Shane Douglas to hit the Belly to Belly and win the ECW World Title! The Triple Threat is back in ECW, and look at what they've done in one night!! As the Triple Threat decided to have a little post-match fun with Sandman, none other than Owen Hart rushed the ring with a hammer in hand, to make the save!

Joey closed the show with another big announcement. On the 23rd, live from the ECW Arena, at ECW Return of the Violence, there has been a new main event signed. As Shane Douglas will defend against the Sandman in a return match, with Owen Hart serving as the special guest referee!

ECW Return of the Violence

MAIN EVENT – ECW World Title Match: Shane Douglas vs. The Sandman – Special Guest Referee: Owen Hart!

ECW World Tag Team Title Match: Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko vs. Tommy Dreamer and Dustin Rhodes!

Lucha Libre Six Man Tag Match: Vampiro, Psicosis, and Dr. Wagner Jr. vs. Rey Misterio Jr., Juventud Guerrera, and Tigre Canadiense!

Raven and Cactus Jack vs. The Can-Am Express!

The debut of “Lightning” Sean Waltman!