JvK books AWA in 1991

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSW Tour, March, Week 1, 91:

uOAMRft.png

Not a lot going on for this show. Steamboat pins Orndorff and so gets to face Graham again.

MSW TV, March, Week 2, 91:

oCLsmZZ.png

Who are you to doubt Polish Power?

GtVMfVZ.png

Pity the Fool

Mr. T: S'up sucka, I got two crazy cats in the studio tonight, Terry Funk and his brother Dory Funk Junior.

Terry: Who ya calling crazy boy? Ya egg suckin' dog?

Mr. T: You want to be starting something mister?

*Terry stands up, Mr. T stands up. It's already heated*

*Booker T glares at Dory, Dory glares right back at him*

Mr. T: This is a TV show dammit fool, sit down, we got an interview.

*Dory's steely gaze at Booker T is piercing. The camera focuses on Booker T's face which starts to flinch.*

Mr. T: The Funk brothers are known all around the world, why have you come to Mid-South?

Terry: Well ya know, Baracus. Can I call you Baracus?

Mr. T: The name's Mr. T, fool, use it.

Terry: Well alright, CLUBBER LANG, let me tell you why the FUNK BROTHERS have come to this neck of the woods shall I. We were in Japan and heard that Mr. Baba was flying Jumbo Tsuruta down here to compete for some titles that have become newly available. Word travels fast, especially when you have the right connections. And ... let me tell you something, BA, those tag belts belong to us. There isn't a tag tournament that me and my brother haven't won. There aren't a set of titles that we haven't got our hands on. And that's why we are here.

Dory: We are here to win wrestling matches.

*Suddenly Terry seems to see something and he turns to Booker T*

Terry: What's HE looking at? What are you looking at BOY?

Mr. T: You leave the Booker man alone sucka!

Terry: Do you call me a sucker? Ya yella belly ya?

*Terry lunches at Mr. T who backs up. All of a sudden Dory flips behind Booker T and brings him down with a drop toehold. He applies an Indian deathlock. Meanwhile, Terry has now got a chair and swings it wildly at Mr. T who is taken aback at the sudden violence.*

*Terry connects a chair shot and Mr. T goes down, he cackle maniacally. Meanwhile Dory is now repeatedly putting Booker T in a spinning toehold.*

*Jack Brisco runs in. Terry screams "BRISCO SCUM". The Funks run at him. Brawling erupts. Booker T, although his leg is injured, limps over and gets involved. Mr. T is still out. Wild pier six.*

RxUCd46.png

Perez wasn't very happy at doing this job.

ksJca4E.png

I think I'm going to need stronger main events than this on TV.

O1qFJoW.png

MSW Tour, March, Week 2, 91:

9UvCYx6.png

This was where the Brisco / Funk stuff was leading.

2kC3bpq.png

Solie: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the historic Bayfront Centre in St. Petersberg, Florida. It was here in 1972 that Dory Funk Jr and Jack Brisco wrestled for almost an hour in a match that people across the country still talk about. I was here that night, and it is something I will never forget. Alhough Dory Funk never lost to Brisco, after he lost the best to Harley Race, it was Brisco who defeated Race to become the new champion and held the belt for over a year. Then Dory's brother, Terry Funk -- a firey character -- defeated Brisco to become the champion himself. There was no love lost between the Funks and the Briscos for the rest of the decade as they wrestled each other up and down the country in a wild series of matches, noted for the intensity of a blood feud.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, in 1991, The Funks are BACK and they are raising hell. Jack Brisco, who retired in 1984, has come out of retirement to try to put an end to the mayhem and chaos that these men have been causing. He has called his brother, Jerry Brisco, who has been involved for many years with an organisation in New York City, to come back to Florida tonight to help him in his quest.

And now, tonight, for almost certainly the last time ever, it will be the Funk Brothers, Terry and Dory, against the Brisco Brothers, Jack and Jerry.

All of this is within the context of a tournament announced by Mid-South President Bill Watts for the vacant AWA World Tag Titles. But, tonight, here at the Bayfront, it is about more than any tournmanet or any title. It's about pride, it's about history, it's about twenty years of simmering hatred.

I3UVSd8.png

Jack and Terry were brawling outside the ring during the finish. All this should set the Funks up as the big heels of this tag title tournament.

One big note on this show was that before it Dick Murdoch started a fight with Steve Williams, this was the second time he'd started a fight, last time it was with Bill Watts himself.

After the match with Backlund, I got a note from Grizzly Smith that Murdoch was both drunk and wasted on drugs during the match, and so I fired Murdoch. Terry Funk is absolutely furious about the decision, and it's possible he's going to be uncoperative going forward because his talent trade has creative control. Murdoch is the second wrestler (after Sam Houston) I've had to fire because of drink and drugs.

Anyway, current tournament standings:

kr360Ay.jpg

MSW TV, March, Week 3, 91:

ixjR1rf.png

Still establishing this as the show for "real wrestling", so long, slow-build face vs. face matches are de rigueur.

vHd4OBM.png

Mr. T is working out because he's set his sights on meeting The Funks in the tag tournament. He also wants to avagene his good friend Jack Brisco.

This whole angle is actually a back door way of pushing Booker T. I'm hoping the sustained rub and association with Mr. T can help to elevate him. His popularity is slowing increasing. Brian Pillman is out for over a year with an injury, so I might have to dip into the talent pool to see what younger stars are around.

ZqVaMhf.png

Just a squash.

u05ELjW.png

The return of Watts to the ring isn't getting as over as I'd have hoped.

CfLxfKX.png

Fun fact: Watts is actually a year younger than Wahoo. Here they were 51 and 52 respectively.

PqlI0Au.png

I can't have Steamboat in the TV main event every week. This is getting to be a problem.

Both TV stations weren't happy with this show:

Etaj0Vn.png

jXuHTVw.png

Speaking of which, I am now in a position to make some further moves in the broadcasting world. Have to wait till the end of April until I can have a second TV show, but I can make some more PPV deals and also get my weekly tour shown by a commerical station.

I've been making moves:

Zq0b0Nr.png

Cablevision will show the PPVs now for the US market.

P2llRsJ.png

Canadian viewers are now going to have to pay to watch supercards, just like everyone else.

And this was the biggest move:

8kQzyyl.png

MTV are going to be carrying my weekly live tour free-to-air. Huge exposure. Omni will carry on showing the cards in Canada.

Therefore, I've rebranded MSW tour to "Mid-South Live on MTV", and it even has its own logo:

uZLrMVS.jpg

That leaves one contract that isn't doing much: the Request TV PPV one for which I have over a year left to run. I have plans for this, see below ...

-------------

Generally these shows have been financially successful so far, but a little lacking in quality. I've been having to rely on older talent, because of their name value. And also to establish a sense of history and prestige in this promtion. But I think this show has demonstrated that I can't really put a 51-year old Bill Watts in the ring and expect it to be good TV. While I'm building new stars, I may have to rely on bringing in the talent trades.

Medium term goals:

- Get a second TV show, another "A" show, and get it on a bigger network. ESPN seems like the natural home, and they are will to talk. Just need to maintain these popularity levels till May.

- Somehow expand into Europe, and possibly even Japan. From next week I'm going to run small spot shows in the UK and in Japan.

A live feed will be shown on Request TV in case any hardcore fans want to watch in the US. This "MSW World Tour" live show will have to rely on a small core of talent who are known in those markets. Lord Al will feature on the British show. I will keep bringing in Japanese guys through the talent trades to bulk out cards in Japan. As a long-term goal, I want to expand TV into both those markets, but MSW is virtually unknown in both.

The idea that both Bill Watts and Jack Brisco would come out of retirement in 1991 for a small time promotion is just totally unrealistic. Not to mention it's not very appealing or interesting to a 1991 audience.

You DEFINITELY need to completely re-brand the way you're doing things if you're going to be on MTV. "Old guy wrestling" would have never made it on MTV in the early 90s.

Looks like Tiger Mask wants to stay long-term:

ylghjBU.png

MSW Live on MTV, March, Week 3, 91:

Zrs04B2.png

Unfortunately, Steamboat vs. Graham in a cage didn't produce as many sparks as Graham's promos.

do79FT7.png

x3DDGam.png

Steamer doesn't want to do cage matches.

Successful first show on MTV in terms of viewing figures:

J9ARXH7.png

-------------------

Anyway, on to operation BREAK INTO THE UK. I have made moves to bring in a skeleton crew to do UK shows over the next 3 months. Let's take a little look:

vkI8Vw9.png

Of course, for a company heavy on tradition, the first thing that we need to do is to create a link to the past.

EoLDgU3.png

In on a five or six match loan-deal from NJPW, Dynamite is a name a lot of casual fans would recognise.

YIxeyMQ.png

Also brought in on-loan, probably the most famous wrestler in Britain in 1991.

VpyiptH.png

On an 8-match loan from UWFi, for those hardcore fans turned off by the likes of Big Daddy or even the British Bulldogs, here is a worker that no self-respecting smart fan could diss.

pGRFasB.png

To take a slot on the card and also carry some of the working load when in there with older stars.

Rg7yk2X.png

To bring a wilder element to these UK cards. I'm also spying a potential Terry Funk - Finlay brawl in front of about 300 people in Bournmouth.

93GznpO.png

Some fans might remember him from his early days, and he can be talked up on commentary.

yCpW0gT.png

Bit of additional strutting and makeup for the card, also gets over the wrestling creditentials of MSW.

6k083MV.png

He wouldn't sign an exclusive, but where everyone else has a 3-month deal, I've put him on a 3-year deal. Someone who could be a star in time.

So that is my "British invasion" force. Former WWF stars also have some name value in the UK: Steamboat, of course. But also guys like Greg, Tito, Honky, Martel, and The Iron Sheik are all known in the UK market, so these will be mixed in with the British workers.

MSW TV, March, Week 4, 91:

VBKhGSJ.png

Tito is due back from injury soon, so they can resume their lack-lustre Muraco/ Pedro style feud over the IC belt-that-is-really-the-Texas belt.

VIf4Hrg.png

Here it is:

SaF6Sot.jpg

I think Mr. T will have to have that match on MTV. I also have a plan for writing out Watts / Wahoo since it is clear Watts can't do anything in the ring anymore.

wAo7pK8.png

Need something for this evil faction to do. Maybe time to start building up Abby for a title shot.

gCPNITi.png

They have just been having a lot of multi-man matches. Of pretty low quality.

9imdJ00.png

This is going to have to be a default plan for TV: propping up the rating with a strong main event, probably featuring Steamer.

gVDVIxS.png

MSW World Tour, March, Week 4, 91:

ziRYbQm.png

These shows are happening on Fridays. Solie is busy with WCW that day, so Lord Al is the host.

Ong9Xkf.png

Over tea and crumpets, Lord Al conducts a sit-down interview with British wrestling legend Big Daddy. They discuss his life and long career in the business. At one point Lord Al asks Big Daddy what he makes of the current wrestling scene, and he says: "Well Al, I don't like all of this cartoon stuff some of the other American companies are putting on, but I've heard a lot of long-time fans talking about what Bill Watts is doing, and there's a great buzz around the place. You can see by the fans who have come here tonight that the British audience respects great wrestling. And, of course, they like the big characters too, which is where I come in!"

This segment probably drew the 279-person gate.

e4UOZBx.png

Robinson is 51 here; performing better than Watts at least.

soNzcZA.png

Yes, expected. These UK shows are for only the most-uber of hardcore fans to watch in the US, and, as such, they aren't intended for the wider US audience to see at all.

In context that's 3,425 buys vs. 1,112,310 viewers for the last MTV live show, and about 600k viewers for the typical TV show.

Jack Brisco, who's gone back to being a road agent after his brief in-ring return, isn't very happy because of the "toxic" backstage atmosphere. What's he talking about? Well this:

HP8wU5t.png

In the past few weeks the locker room atmosphere has absolutely plummetted. Dynamite Kid pulled a rib on Bam Bam Bigelow, and it went down very badly because half the locker-room hates him. The firing of Dick Murdoch for being wasted pissed everyone off on both sides -- some because he was wasted and in the ring, others because they are his friends and I fired him.

Bagwell and The Patriot, who are meant to be a tagteam, had a bust up. There hasn't been a show where someone hasn't been fined or made stand trial at "wrestler's court" either with Judge Steamboat or Judge Terry Funk residing. Everyone seems to dislike Al Perez and he's been kicking up a stink since doing that job he didn't want to do (I think against Yatsu).

Bill Watts isn't helping: he got into a fight with Murdoch and later on almost came to blows with Bill Irwin. There's a LOT of heatseekers in this locker room and it is starting to cause a lot of trouble. I can't fire them all. Hopefully once Dynamite is gone after the loan finishes, things might settle down. I might fire Al Perez, just looking for an excuse to.

Look at this:

QduFY4s.jpg

Urgh.

Mid-South Live on MTV, March Week 4, 91:

Very depleted roster for this show because this clashed with Wrestlemania VII AND NJPW have a big Tokyo Dome show. Tommy Rogers also has a slipped disc.

This might be a good show, then, to introduce Regal to the US audience.

cvolyqQ.png

This was an absolutely disasterous card on which pretty much everything apart from the world title match went wrong. MTV rating was 1.32 down from 1.48 last week. Let's look pick over the bones of this wreck.

udqTWev.png

I've got to make a note to myself: Honky is a terrible worker! I might get the belt off him sooner rather than later. Crockett Cup card isn't until end of the month, will see if I can eek it out till then, but he's been stinking up my cards for two months now.

y0v4pSx.png

Perhaps I over-estimated the level to which Doug Somers is still a "good hand" in 1991. They went 20 minutes just to fill up the time. It was meant to be a "cooler" match but the crowd was already dead.

KYk45wy.png

Oh dear, oh dear. So Booker T is very greeen for the spot he's in here. I think I was counting quite a lot on Mr. T's overness and charisma to carry this feud. The tag tournament is meant to be a big over-arching storyline with several sub-feuds going on:

- Bill Watts vs. Rose / Somers - this is pretty much done now. I have an angle lined up to prevent needing to use Watts in the ring again.

- Brisco / Mr. T vs. The Funks - still needs to be resolved. Booked into a corner a little bit because not sure how I can put Mr. T and Booker over Doc and Gordy.

- Fantastics: underdogs - their side of the bracket is tough, but they are my "against all odds" story

So far, most of these mini-feuds have gone badly.

2fqYPyQ.png

The low quality of this show didn't escape the MTV execs.

MSW TV, April, Week 1, 91:

cbrwB6N.jpg

Solie: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Mid-South Wrestling. I'm here with, as ever, with the Mid-South President, Cowboy Bill Watts and a special guest: his current tag-team partner, Wahoo McDaniel. Bill, what's it been like getting back into the ring after all these years?

Watts: Well, I tell ya Gordon, I'm no spring chicken any more, the knees don't bend like they use to, a lifetime in professional wrestling will do that to a man. The aches and pains, let me tell ya, they don't compare to any other sport. The life of a pro wrestling is very tough. But I came back to team with this man here, a man who has never quit this sport, a man who has bled for it.

Wahoo: It's been an honour to tag with you Cowboy. Look at us, the Cowboy and the Indian, ha ha ha.

*All of a sudden someone to the left of the camera dives and takes out Wahoo with a chopblock. It's Greg Valentine! Watts goes to apprehend him, but he finds himself lassooed by .. the Honky Tank Man!

*Solie is distraught, but nonetheless roles back the years and commentates on the action while he's standing there as if it was 1981 in GCW*

*Greg Valentine grabs a chair, and brings it down vertically on Wahoo's leg.*

Greg: I broke Wahoo's leg a decade ago, and I'm gonna do it again!

*He brings the chair smashing down on the leg again.*

Greg: THAT's for every damn time you chopped me in the chest you son-ov-a-bitch!

Solie: Ladies and Gentlemen, apologies for the blue language, it's getting very heated here. Please, somebody call security, this is an assault. Wahoo McDaniel is about to retire, do you want him living the rest of his life in a hospital?!

*Valentine pays him no heed.*

Greg: THAT's for what you did to my old man, you ****

*The words are bleeped. The big red CENSORED cross comes on the screen.*

*Watts is still restrained as Honky Tonk Man cackles. But he shouts out.*

Watts: Ya gonna be fined and suspended ya madman! You're never gonna work ag ..

*Honky puts a sock in his mouth*

Honky Tonk Man: Ah, put a sock in it! Ha ha ha ha.

*Greg has Wahoo in the figure four. Wahoo has passed out with the pain. Valentine is using the ring fence for leverage.*

Solie: WILL SOMEBODY GET SOME HELP!

*The British Bulldogs storm the podium, and attack Valentine, he and Honky immediately bail at least half way down the aisle. It's too late though, the damage is done. Wahoo is stretchered out. Fans are crying at ringside. Davey Boy unties Watts, who is absolutely livid.*

Watts: Greg Valentine is SUSPENDED without further notice! The Honky Tonk Man will carry on in the world tag tournament ALONE in handicap matches. AND, The British Bulldogs will take the place of myself and Wahoo McDaniel! TONIGHT. NOW! And I'm the referee!

*Valentine and Honky are still in the arena, half way down the aisle. Honky can't believe it. Valentine on the other hand is impassive, as if he had been possessed by a demon.*

Phj1ueb.jpg

Honky couldn't even execute this basic angle to a decent standard. Patience running out.

AfI0Hge.jpg

Brilliant. Locker room rating is currently at 13%. The 91 locker room is a lot more volotile than the 83 locker room.

31Se1rK.jpg

That's Jumbo and Yatsu gone. By the end of the run, Jumbo had gotten pretty over across America. Not bad here: got two tournaments out of these two, plus a world title shot in apiece.

I'll be looking to bring Jumbo in again, possibly as more of a heel, with a manager.

E9xNcx6.jpg

Booker T isn't doing too well in these tags. Needs more building up in mid-card matches, I think, where it won't matter too much when he's making his mistakes and learning the ropes.

nFmyy7w.jpg

A C-rating out of the Putskis is the Funks working absolute miracles. Note the crazy bump Terry took.

wmcefb7.jpg

I think I might have to revert to Vince Sr. style "heel of the month" booking while I build some new stars underneath. This situation can't go on for much longer or the TV stations will drop the product.

Current tournament standings:

DHUVabS.jpg

Mid-South World Tour, April, Week 1, 91:

NZ1tZus.jpg

Fired.

2sCtIcQ.jpg

Lord Regal: I would like to introduce to all you peasants, an associate of mine ... allow me to present ... Lord Jerry von Kramer!

Lord JvK: You people don't know any better than to boo. That's because you weren't raised correctly. That's because you don't have a world class education, like I do. Please, please, don't bother yourself with all that infernal braying. You are looking at the next AWA World Heavyweight Champion: the man I am standing next to here.

Lord Regal: Oh, you are too kind, Lord.

Lord JvK: Why my lord, no you are.

Together: *He has a woman's face m'lord* Haw haw haw haw.

Lord JvK: Ricky Steamboat is, no doubt, a world class wrestler, but he lacks a few things that Lord Regal has in abundance. Here are the TOP FIVE things that Regal has got that is sadly lacking in Mr. Steamboat.

Number 5: Good looks. I'm sure all you ladies will agree that Lord Regal is a far far better looking man than Mr. Steamboat.

Number 4: A landed title. Lord Regal owns all of the land from here to Hereford. And he acquired it the only correct way: he inherited it! Ricky Steamboat, being a lowly American, had to work for whatever land he owns. And, let me tell you, you can buy land in North Carolina as cheap as mackeral. Haw haw haw.

Number 3: Lord Regal has knowledge of the finest wrestling holds, learned from the very best. I'm afraid Mr. Steamboat has spent most of his time in cartoon wrestling land, and so he's in for a surprise when he locks up with my man.

Number 2: Intelligence. Good intelligence can only be acquired through the finest breeding, something which, of course, our Ricky lacks. You only need to look at him to see that he lacks breeding, do you know what I mean? Haw haw.

And Number 1: Lord Regal has a mother who loves him: Lady Regal. Of course poor Ricky was abandoned as a child, he'd never had anyone love him ...

*With that Steamboat charges the ring and the bell rings, Lord JvK gets out of dodge, and the match starts*

Let's take a closer look at this JvK character ...

fmT0MU8.jpg

PTdEgNc.jpg

0L6sjJV.jpg

This title switch was a TOTAL mistake. I picked the wrong finish. Oh well, HTM wasn't going anywhere, and so I might use this mix-up to go another route with the belt.

CIbK8gR.jpg

Big Daddy just came in for the hot tag and the pin.

HOeVyZz.jpg

I guess the issue with trying to buildin the UK while showing the shows back in the US, is that I'm taking attritional little hits on home-base popularity. I think it's minimal enough to take, but ideally I need to be getting these shows a bit better.

If you had access to a time machine to put yourself in 1991 to be Regal's drinking partner (because the real you was definitely not old enough) you should have kept using that time machine to bring back younger versions of the majority of your roster so they could actually give you good matches.

Mid-South on MTV, April, Week 1, 91:

Yu298dv.jpg

Quite an important card this, because BIG things have happened. As Bill Watts explains:

0rOGI4o.jpg

Watts: It is my honour and privilege to announce that Mid-South Wrestling has joined the American Wrestling Alliance. In top secret meetings, Mr. Verne Gagne sat around a table with Mr. Vincent Kennedy McMahon of the World Wrestling Federation, Mr. Baba of All Japan Pro Wrestling, Mr. Inoki of New Japan Pro Wrestling, Mr. Paco Alonso from the CMLL in Mexico, and Mr. Francisco Flores from the UWA in Mexico, and yours truly, the Cowboy Bill Watts. This is probably the most historic meeting of wrestling minds in the business, since Sam Muchnick sat down with Wally Karbo, Orville Brown and Pinky George in 1948. Back then, they were forming something called the National Wrestling Alliance. Sadly, that organisation has fallen under hard times and is now almost entirely controlled by a media conglomerate organisation.

We independent wrestling promoters need a new alliance, a strong alliance that has deep roots in the history of this great sport. And so we have formed the AWA, an international alliance of like-minded wrestling organisations who want to protect this industry from corperatisation.

iIwxVQy.jpg

But this has deeper ramifications. The AWA are an official sanctioning body. It's President is Verne Gagne. All titles in the five organisations just mentioned and now under the sanctioning auspicies of the AWA, but they will remain in their respective promotions.

It also means freedom of movement for professional wrestlers. That means that you might be seeing people like Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage here, but it also means you might be seeing Ricky Steamboat in the World Wrestling Federation. We want all our athletes to succeed and compete for the best titles in the sport.

There will be only ONE title that can be defended in ANY promotion: The AWA Universal Title. This is a brand new title. And I have it with me here.

This title is going to be contested tonight in an historic WORLD TITLE vs. WORLD TITLE match, when the AWA World Title, currently held by Ricky Steamboat, goes up against the WWA World Title, currently held by ... ANDRE THE GIANT.

The WWA World title has a long and illustrious history, going back to Eduard Carpentier in the 1950s. It was held by people like Fred Blassie, The Destroyer, Dick the Bruiser, Gene Kiniski, Wilbur Snyder, and one of my great griends, the Big Cat Ernie Ladd. It is now held by Andre who won the title recently at a tournament in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

hmWAXZh.jpg

TONIGHT, these two historic titles will be unified. The winner will be crowned the first AWA Universal Champion! History will be made.

c5YMYO0.jpg

It's going to be Ricky Steamboat vs. Andre the Giant. LIVE on MTV. AWA world title vs. WWA world title! Let's hook 'em up!

965F1C8.jpg

Pretty phenomenal achievement from The Funks to get a C+ out of these guys. This was technically the blow-off to this mini-feud. Funks have yet to have any come-uppance.

AJm7URW.jpg

And there it is, Steamboat becomes the last ever AWA World Champion and the last ever WWA World Champion and in the process becomes the first ever AWA Universal Champion.

V5JCiwu.jpg

Back up to a 1.47 for this one.

EDIT: Dynamite Kid has just walked out.

2qwLO6L.jpg

He didn't want to do the job to the Fantastics.

maidWLd.png

AWA Championship Wrestling, April, Week 2, 91:

xmbLlR7.png

"The Home of Professional Wrestling" is going to become this promotion's "Where the Big Boys Play" in terms of a tag-line that is pushed a lot.

Current schedule:

8sF9BYy.jpg

As Chris Adams walks down the aisle with Honky Tonk Man's bogus IC title, Bill Watts stops him and hands him the old AWA Television Title, which has been officially sanctioned by the AWA board of directors. Adams looks pleased, and drops the old Texas belt onto the floor.

6WxSM9y.jpg

j1W9xHP.png

I'm SURE I booked Regal to win this. That's twice Adams has won in phantom circumstances.

aawOFOT.png

Booker T is starting to drag down every segment he's in. Going to get him into the ring more.

xnRbIYq.png

Strike Force missed the tag tournmanet because Tito was injured. This is a reminder to everyone that they are still around.

RzpSAIy.png

Looks like it was a great match.

uR74LED.png

Well at least it's not losing me any.

EDIT:

Seem to have forgotten to add this card:

kK4EYAu.png

AWA World Tour, April, Week 3, 91:

5HFFxhr.png

Only significance of this show is that Regal won the TV title on it.

Just doing some planning ahead, and in the medium-term, I think I'm going to return to the patented JvK version of the Vince Sr formula, bringing in top heels on 6-appearance talent trade deals.

Appearance 1: spot on Mr. T show, jobber squash (TV)

Appearance 2: over Backlund (MTV event)

Appearance 3: vs. Steamer (CO / DQ) (TV)

Appearance 4: vs. Steamer (CO / DQ) (Tour)

Appearance 5: job to Steamer (MTV event or PPV)

Appearance 6: job to Backlund (TV)

That's a 3-week run.

Over the space of 9 weeks, there should always be a new heel on Mr. T show, always be an outgoing heel jobbing to Backlund on TV, always be a new heel going over Backlund on MTV, etc.

Week 1: Mr. T, Backlund MTV

Week 2: Steamer x3

Week 3: Backlund TV and gone

So typical week once it is up and running:

TV: Mr. T: Heel C, Backlund over Heel A, Steamer vs. Heel B

Tour: Steamer vs. Heel B

MTV: Heel C over Backlund, Steamer vs. Heel B

Next week then Heel A is gone, Heel D comes into Mr. T, Heel C faces Steamer three times, Heel B jobs to Backund on TV and leaves.

I'm hoping to have another TV slot next month, which should give me extra space to book other angles.

Not that I think your interested in feedback, but surely the audience you're presenting your product too isn't realistic? MTV in 93 is all about the Simpsons and Michael Jackson and then on the same channel you have Mr T who was outdated by this point, Backlund who hasn't been on TV for 7-8 years. I suppose it's who your targeting, but I thought Backlund was dull as shit in 93 and I was 6/7 years old at that point. In late 94 he was great, but as a face in 93, just dull.

Personally Steamboat at the top is ideal, but he needs to be wrestling youngsters and giving them the rub, not Dory Funk etc. I'm sure your intending to keep using the oldies but put them lower on the card or have them put over younger guys.

On the plus side, I grew up on the estate where Buckland Communtiy centre was and would of dragged my dad down to see any sort of wrestling....

A lot of these present plans are just creating the base and establishing norms from which to create new stars.

I'm also working within the limitations of the TEW system. If I pick up someone like Chris Jericho who is completely unknown and stick him in main events, he'll tank ratings. It takes time to get people over. The TV stations won't give me time to put out bad main events so I have to rely on established stars.

The MTV slot is late night, and I totally get the point that it this traditional rasslin product isn't exactly a great fit for it. But it was between that and BBC America, so I thought MTV might have the best potential. BBC are "against" wrestling and wanted a ludicrously high minimum quality per show which I just can't offer. And MTV were the only other station of that size willing to broadcast live events.

They want a more risqué and edgy product, and being with them allows me to do some of that stuff down the line.

A lot of my thinking has been in trying to get over with old territorial fans who have been turned away by WWF and the direction WCW has been going. Getting back over with those Chicago fans Crockett alienated in 1987, the JCP hardcores. The old AWA base, the old St. Louis fans, etc.

So appealing to tradition, respect, highlighting "technical" wrestling and legit guys like Backlund has been the route. Against this very traditional backdrop, if I do then sign guys like Jericho or give Scott Hall a proper push, they can feel like a genuine breath of fresh air. But it all takes time in-game.

I've already excellerated a Regal push because the Honkytonk Man IC stuff was just dire. And I couldn't cope with it.

Some of that pure wrestling focus does rankle with Mr. T being featured so heavily, but he's playing into that nostalgia audience of kids who were probably around 13-14 in 91. And I'm trying to give Booker T a rub, although that has not been working as I'd hoped. I get that Mr. T is kind of a has been in 1991, but he's still the biggest star I've got.

The main purpose of all this AWA stuff, Watts going into history etc., is mainly to seem like a bigger deal. I've got a show fronted by Gordon Solie, so I can hardly go ECW route at this point.

I'm also being hurt by some of the stuff I did in my two weeks at WCW, I locked up a pile of younger talent on 3-year written deals, Eddie for example. I even think Scotty Falmingo is there, but would have to double check.

I can't really make Greg Valentine or half of this roster edgy or cool in 1991, but I can make them credible.

When May swings around, I'm hoping to secure a new TV slot with ESPN, which will be a more natural home for the pure sports stuff, and then I can start trying to modernise and "make cooler" the MTV live show.

I've just got to the size where people will actually consider signing written deals, so this might start getting easier, but this is still a promotion in real terms that is begging around the fringes and feeding on scraps. The tradition stuff and to some extent Mr. T stuff is all being used to try to mask the fact that there isn't a whole lot here. Smoke and mirrors while trying to build an audience. Hasn't been easy I'll admit.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this, realism be damned. It also wouldn't feel like a JvK project if he wasn't dragging a load of 50yr olds out of retirement to put on stinking matches. He did it with the Blond Bombers in 83, so I'm glad the tradition has been kept up with Watts and Wahoo.

This has also inspired me to shell out for TEW for the first time since 2005. so when I'm reaping the glories of my "Mason Ryan wins the WWE title at Wrestlemania at the Ricoh Arena" push, I'll be sure to thank you

I'm thoroughly enjoying this, realism be damned. It also wouldn't feel like a JvK project if he wasn't dragging a load of 50yr olds out of retirement to put on stinking matches. He did it with the Blond Bombers in 83, so I'm glad the tradition has been kept up with Watts and Wahoo.

This has also inspired me to shell out for TEW for the first time since 2005. so when I'm reaping the glories of my "Mason Ryan wins the WWE title at Wrestlemania at the Ricoh Arena" push, I'll be sure to thank you

Surely you'd use the stadium not the arena?

Since last we convened, things have been afoot. I am now big enough to offer exclusive written deals -- but of course since I'm in an alliance and set up all those working relationships, I can't actually do so without violating deals. So I moved to end those talent trade deals with those outside of the AWA alliance so I could get at least some people tied up on written deals. Carlos Colon, not in the AWA alliance, took exception and declared war:

v69e61f.png

Can't say I'm too bothered.

A bigger concern is the locker-room atmosphere which is at 0%. Everyone is unhappy. I need to start making moves to fix this or workers won't stay.

PzgXeaQ.png

Honky definitely seems to be one of the problems. I am considering firing him for poor performance in any case. Not yet.

Oh and Tiger Mask up sticks and went back to Japan, he signed back on with NJPW:

dg8WArp.png

Just after he'd re-located too.

TT4e8Im.png

AWA Supercard on MTV, April, Week 2, 91:

SvDshnQ.png

So, obviously, I immediately ran opposite Colon in Puerto Rico. No, I'm not petty, but business is business.

Abby is my biggest PR star, so he went straight into the main event. Here you can see how a strong main event can carry a mediocre show.

One small note here:

I had Kal Rudman in the Event Centre explain that The Fantastics had beaten The British Bulldogs again in a rematch at an event in Germany last night. It was a heated match and Dynamite Kid has been reported injured. Of course, in reality, Dynamite Kid just walked out. But this is a way of writing him out with Davey Boy still around for a couple more weeks.

pnl486k.jpg

So ha, the Jim Crockett Sr Memorial Cup is only actually going to have one tag tournmanet match on it.

93GvilQ.png

Steamer is going to be facing a lot of these little one-show mini-angles.

n6o9Szc.png

Decent match considering Abby is over 50 here.

However:

wDQRkLl.png

--------------

Also, I've made some signings to beef up TV broadcast coverage:

ziMauLM.png

Former AWA-man Larry Nelson comes back to AWA.

O4hK3MV.png

Crispy can do a job for me somewhere. Since Sean Mooney, Gene Okerlund and practically every other broadcast guy is locked up with either WCW or WWF, it's guys like this who have to step up for me now. Although Solie will be good for a few years yet.

And finally, I signed another road agent:

jweH7zd.png

Armstrong can get in the ring for a pop in Georgia if need be, or if there's an injury crisis, but most of the time he's going to lighten the burden on Jack Brisco and Grizzly Smith.

And also Boris Malenko as a road agent:

VoJKHru.png

EDIT:

JXUnKZc.png

Well at least that saves me firing him.

Also, Steamboat headlined a NJPW show and defended the title on it:

Q7KNnqo.png

A great boost to the cred of the title, which Watts and Solie would have played up on commentary.

First some bad news, I sent Brian Pillman for surgery on his back, because he is injured for a year and there were complications with it, which means he's out for 1 year and 5 months. I had to terminate his contract because there's no point having him stick around. He can collect a Lloyds of London deal. WCW are still paying him.

Second, Ricky Steamboat is getting burnt out with the schedule.

dSHxArY.png

Let's look at his matches recently:

o64DgM9.png

It's true that I've been absolutely caning him, but in the past week he had to fly to England, Japan, Puerto Rico, Hawaii (where TV was taped that week), and Mexico. Ridiculous schedule, and I'm going to have to give him the week off ahead of next week's PPV. Note: the Hawaii TV taping is below.

maidWLd.png

AWA Championship Wrestling, April, Week 3, 91:

FKIqidw.png

Honky Tonk Man only has a week left. This has the "burial" order, because he really pissed me off screwing up my locker room. He was furious of course.

a8h4Xwc.png

Pity the Fool

Mr. T: S'up fools, my guest Superstar Billy Graham says today he's got a big announcement. What is it sucka?

Graham: Now, brother T, don't you go calling me a "sucka" or a "fool" now you understand? I'm just here to make a very important announcement, you don't have to insult me, brother, you dig it?

*Booker T seems to look up*

Mr. T: This is my show, Pity the Fool, and on my show, I can say what I want, you got it fool? I pity the fool that can't understand that.

Graham: You're an idiot.

Mr. T: You're a fool.

Graham: Enough. Brothers ... let me testify. I made my name in a company called the World Wrestling Federation. I was the greatest WWF Champion of all times.

Mr. T: Don't kid yourself, brother, my friend H ....

Graham: Now let me stop you right there, brother. Where do you think he got his whole act from? Watching the SUPERSTAR as a youngster. I was the greatest of them all, I sold out Madison Square Gardens THIRTY times in a row! I set off box office records like they never seen before. A whole generation of superstars grew up wanting to be just like me. And now, brother, I'm here in the AWA, the HOME of professional wrestling, and I ain't as young as I used to be. And that no-good Ricky Steamboat took as good as I've got, but my legs and back can't go like they used to. Brother, I am RETIRED from the ring.

Mr. T: And this was your big announcement?

Graham: No, brother, because you see, you gotta move and shake in this business. PoliTICS and dirty TRICKS. You hip? You dig?

Mr. T: Enough of this jibber jabber, what have you been scheming?

Graham: As the Cowboy Bill Watts has said, the WWF is now a part of the American Wrestling Alliance. ALLIANCE, brother. That means we ain't just moving and shaking here no more, we is moving and shaking across the whole world. I can pick up that phone and because The Superstar is a hero, a HERO to every wrestler there today, they are going to want to help old Billy out.

So I rung, Ted, I said, "Ted, do you want to be a world champion? And do you want to help old Billy out?"

He said, first of all, brother, "if it's money, how much do you need?"

And I said, "Brother, it ain't money, it's committment. If I could get YOU a shot against Ricky the Dragon Steamboat for the AWA Universal title, would ya come down here, brother, and take that shot?"

And Ted, I could hear him laughing and laughing on the phone.

He said, "Superstar, my man, EVERYBODY'S GOT A PRICE, and my price is that AWA Universal Title!"

Mr. T: The Million Dollar Man is coming here and has a title shot?

Graham: Now you're starting to understand. But it doesn't end there. I picked up that phone again. I spoke to the VICE PRESIDENT of the AWA, Mr. Nick Bockwinkel.

He said, "uhhh, Mr. Graham, what can I do for you?

I said, "brotherrrrrrrr, how can I get a contract to face Ricky Steamboat for that AWA title?"

He said, "Well Billy, you know, it's all in the fine print, and it's between the members of the alliance. There is an official top 10 contender list. You might wanna try Bill Apter"

I said, "Nick, my man, how far you and the Superstar gone back brother?!"

And he said, "Well, Billy" and then he used some long, long words like only Bockwinkel can do, and he said "just leave it with me, just leave it with me"

And Ted DiBiase and Nick Bockwinkel aren't the only people I been calling. I been talking to THE BRAIN, brother, to Bobby Heenan. I been talking to The Genius. I been talking to anyone who is a move and shaker in this business brother. And there's just one outcome to all of any it, brothers:

RICKY STEAMBOAT'S DAYS ARE NUMBERED

Mr. T: Why do you want any of these guys to win the title? What's in it for you, sucka?

Graham: Enough of your questions!!! Mind your own business, "sucka"!

Mr. T: I'm warning you Graham.

Graham: You should be happy anyway, chump. I'll give you more guests for this show than Johnny Carson. The ratings will go through the roof. Hey, it'll be like being on The A Team again, remember that?

*Graham starts humming the A-team theme tune obnoxiously*

Mr. T: I'm warning you fool!

*Mr. T stands up. Graham as full of himself as possible struts away on top of the world now singing the A-team theme tune at the top of his voice*

vpBjdnX.png

Bad news here:

336ozDB.png

Like Pillman, I've let him go.

H02Yylw.png

I think Nelson might have been dragging this segment down.

4t8JWIT.png

Dory had the stronger match with Steamer.

2XY5gAs.png

kK4EYAu.png

AWA World Tour, April, Week 3, 91:

The progress of making an in-road into the UK market by running these shows is horrendously slow. Barely a dent so far.

QNDhm7E.png

Incidentally, I buried Honky again here:

9JgmR2l.png

One notable little segment here:

piaCkPw.png

A Cuppa with Lord Al

Lord Al: My, my, what fine gents are these. Hello fellows, would you like some tea?

Lord Regal: Why thank you Lord Hayes, you only have the finest tea.

Lord JvK: I say, Lord Regal, old chap, the thought has just occured to me. Since Lord Hayes is such a fine man with such exquisite tastes. Since he has class and breeding -- just like us -- why do we not join with him?!

Lord Regal: This is an excellent idea Lord! Oh, my man, Lord Hayes, will you join our party on a more permanent basis?

Lord Al: Haw haw, this is an excellent idea indeed!

Lord JvK: But Lord Al, we must warn you.

Lord Al: Yes?

Lord JvK: No more of this ... ermm .. sucking up to the "good guys". Do you understand what I mean?

Lord Al: Oh I was only putting in on! I hate them all! *spit* Ricky Steamboat I can't STAND him!

Lord Regal: That's more like it, back to his old self!

Lord Al: We three, we ... UPPER CRUST ... are a dying breed. We need to stick together.

All three: Tally ho! And pip pip!

Yes, Lord Al has turned heel and joined this faction.

TT4e8Im.png

AWA Supercard on MTV, April, Week 3, 91:

xIccwKs.png

A struggle without Steamboat to draw on.

Oh and Honky was buried for a third time:

H570e4G.png

He'll never work for me again.