209 replies to this topic

#41 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8301 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Why is it pathetic though?

I like Punk, spent years buying ROH DVD's to watch his work, and think his feud with Jeff Hardy produced probably the best promo work I've seen of anyone in the WWE in the past eight years. Not coming in as a 'hater' or whatever. People can have nuanced opinions about people, entertainers, sports, etc. 

This was still a joke of a fight, and there are a dozen reasons to illustrate that. 

He got destroyed. Yes. He also had the time of his life. UFC made big man.

If UFC is happy with this, if Punk is happy with this, and the fans went nuts in the arena so they seem to be happy with this, what is the issue?

#42 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11246 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

I'd be happy for Tito Santana if he wanted to start an unlikely new career, let me tell you that.

#43 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

There are a plenty of issues, as some that have been brought up already, along with others mentioned elsewhere regarding the athletic commission and Punk's history of injuries. 

But I guess we are haters for not just happily going along for the ride. I guess Joe Rogan of all people is a hater too.

#44 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:39 AM

I'd be happy for Tito Santana if he wanted to start an unlikely new career, let me tell you that.

Random nice Tito Santana story. I once told a mutual friend that I wanted to talk to Tito, and literally the next day I got a phone call and on the other end it was "Hi this is Tito Santana, I heard you wanted to talk to me." 

#45 Beast

Beast
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

There's also the fact that Punk is by most accounts a raging A-hole with an overly high opinion of himself, so maybe it's harder for people to root for that type of guy, especially when he's still fairly terrible at fighting. Pulling that no handshake BS because "I'm here to fight, not shake hands" also doesn't help.

Good for him for achieving his dream, but this was the equivalent of a Make-A-Wish kid getting the chance to throw out a pitch at the World Series or ride shotgun in a Nascar race. 

#46 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11246 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

I mean he did sort of achieve the american dream (give or take a lawsuit):

"If you work hard enough, you can be as big an asshole as you want without repercussions."

Good for him on that.

#47 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8301 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

There are a plenty of issues, as some that have been brought up already, along with others mentioned elsewhere regarding the athletic commission and Punk's history of injuries. 

But I guess we are haters for not just happily going along for the ride. I guess Joe Rogan of all people is a hater too.

The same Joe Rogan who told Punk he greatly respects him and hopes to see him fight again?

If the athletic commission allowed someone to fight that shouldn't, that is the athletic commission's problem. You should be ranting to them, not making fun of Punk.

There's also the fact that Punk is by most accounts a raging A-hole with an overly high opinion of himself, so maybe it's harder for people to root for that type of guy, especially when he's still fairly terrible at fighting. Pulling that no handshake BS because "I'm here to fight, not shake hands" also doesn't help.

Good for him for achieving his dream, but this was the equivalent of a Make-A-Wish kid getting the chance to throw out a pitch at the World Series or ride shotgun in a Nascar race. 

He's an asshole, who cares? You don't have to root for him. 

How is that equivalent at all? That is a beyound horrible analogy.

#48 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

You're making it sound like anyone who is critiquing the circumstances relating to this fight is just doing it to be hating on Punk or whatever. It's disingenuous and dishonest. 

I didn't say Rogan was hating on Punk either, at all. I was pointing out that Rogan had critiques as well and that doesn't make him a hater. People can like Punk and think this was bad, as do I. He ended the broadcast with the following (quotes from BloodyElbow): 

"But it was delusional. That's my feeling. My feeling when I was watching him hit the bag, when I was watching him train, and when I was watching him hit things. It's not like he can't ever learn, but there's a journey as a martial artist, and there's a path that each martial artist [is] on. And different people are on different paths. There's a reason brown belts don't compete with white belts in jiu-jitsu tournaments. It's because it's not fair. And what we saw tonight is not fair."

And. 

"If I had to give CM Punk some advice -- I hate to harp on this -- I'd say fight as an amateur," he said. "Fight people at your level. He wants to do this, he wants to challenge himself, he wants to continue -- God bless him. He's a fun guy. I like him. But this is not the way to do it."

#49 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8301 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Critiques are one thing and that is fine. My response is to these people who are essentially orgasmic at Punk losing.

#50 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 2099 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

If Punk is serious about MMA and decide to work these smaller indie promotions to get more experience then I have all the respect for him.  If this is a just a one time "bucket list" thing and he is back groveling to the WWE or going to places like ROH or Evolve then screw him because not only doesn't have respect for himself but for MMA.  

#51 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5597 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

Did UFC make any extraordinary money here? Haven't yet heard anything suggesting this fight did numbers beyond what would be expected ex-punk. I didn't think expectations were that high to begin with.

#52 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

I will forever respect Punk.  I don't think he's an ass at all.  I think he is honest and genuine to who he is.  People said he would never make it in WWE.  He not only held the title for the longest amount of time in modern history, he was a main eventer and is still over more than most of the roster and he's been gone for nearly three years.  Not only that, he did it while keeping his name, staying true to his character (and himself) and all the while not making any apologies.  When he felt it wasn't fun anymore and didn't get his WM main event, he told the most powerful main in wrestling and his hanger-on son-in-law to fuck off.  Others who complain about being held down or being unhappy usually continue eating shit or get released.

I watched everything leading up to his UFC debut and found him to still be that same person.  People think him getting his ass kicked somehow verified all the shit they talked about him.  If you think all that negativity bothers Punk in the slightest, you really have no clue.  It's not his fault he got this shot as Dana and the Fertitta's could have said, no.  

People who hate on punk are either jealous, insecure, or both.

#53 Beast

Beast
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

If this was any other fighter who never fought before and debuted on UFC and got his ass kicked in 2 minutes without getting any offense of his own and people laughed at him and said he sucked, no one would be complaining about them being overly negative.

It was terrible. It was just like everyone expected.

Good for him for achieving a dream, but it was a joke.

#54 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9591 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

This was essentially Billy Crystal fantasy-camping it up with the New York Yankees, except if it took place in a regular-season game. 

Who are these people who are "orgasmic" at Punk losing? Are they posting here? Are they spreading outright misinformation or spurring a potential side discussion here? If not, why are we bothering with them?

#55 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

He was working.

#56 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11246 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

This was essentially Billy Crystal fantasy-camping it up with the New York Yankees, except if it took place in a regular-season game. 

Who are these people who are "orgasmic" at Punk losing? Are they posting here? Are they spreading outright misinformation or spurring a potential side discussion here? If not, why are we bothering with them?

We would have had one liners if he won and we would have one-liners if he lost.

#57 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9591 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

"I still don't understand why I'm supposed to respect him for this. It doesn't take courage to take on a task too big for you to handle, in spite of all the experts saying that could not possibly succeed at this level in that amount of time, and predictably fail at it. There is nothing courageous or honorable about this, he deluded himself into thinking all of the critics were "haters" who were attacking him personally when in reality most of his detractors were right on the money.

It's like if I have a dream of being a great computer scientist one day, so first semester of freshman year I take 400 level CS courses without doing any of the prereqs or having any previous background in math or science whatsoever. Instead I just used my connections to skip ahead of any of the normal barriers that would prevent me from doing this. Who cares, I did some precalc during the summer, anyone who doesn't think I can do this is just a hater. Not trying is the real failure, etc. So when I get a zero on my final do I get credit for just showing up? That doesn't make me brave, it makes me an idiot who ignored expert advice.

The real lesson here, when you strip away all of the hero worship should be that having passion is not enough. Greatness takes years of hard work and dedication and most people can't skip steps. Don't take shortcuts. But fuck that, none of that feels heartwarming the way that "millionaire succeeds in his dream of making 6 figures by getting rolled over and punched around for 2 minutes" does.""

--Some guy on reddit, who summed it up much better than I can.

#58 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5780 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I expected him to lose quickly but that was just a pathetic showing. I have a few friends that train and do amateur fights as a hobby and I'm pretty sure they would have owned him in a similar fashion.

#59 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 4006 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

My biggest issue, from what I have read around various corners of the internet (including my own Facebook Timeline), is people keep saying "he lasted longer than I thought he would!"

Really? Two minutes in the first round was that much drastically longer than you "thought" he was going to last? He got taken down, got rocked, gave up his back & got choked out in that time frame. You thought that was all going to happen in thirty seconds instead?

It's just so silly.

I feel like we're all marks today. We got worked by Dana. 

#60 Zero

Zero

World's Strongest

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Couldn't have gone much worse for Punk. To think he had the audacity to call Gall's former opponents "cans". Can't say I have much sympathy for people poking fun at the guy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users